Local News in HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

concorde1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Our CBS station is now broadcasting in HD. This is why I got HDTV. We are in the Greenville\Spartenberg|Asheville DMA

Nothing new in these parts. Here in Cleveland, Ohio all of our major channels broadcast the news in HD, including all the local NBC, ABC, FOX and CBS affiliates.

here in dallas, tx, we've got 2 local news broadcasts in HD now. one is what i like to call fake HD where the only HD content they show is the live talking heads, the story content is all in SD. on the other hand, wfaa channel 8 has a top notch HD operation. they shoot file footage in 1080i, they're studio is full of color and really pops in HD (its really cool to see, if you've got a minute check out WFAA VICTORY PARK STUDIO), although they're live remotes are nothing more than upconverted SD but it still looks better than plain ole' SD. they were the best dallas news organization before they went HD first, but now they definitely set themselves apart from the rest. they definitely show more HD content for a local channel than any other around here. they've been recording cheap local ads for joe blow furniture in HD, which makes most of those guys look scarier ;p

The "fake HD" news in Dallas is NBC channel 5. I also like to think of them as the "fake news" channel since they tend to be the National Inquirer of the market. They've never met a fire, car chase, or gun shot story they didn't like.

Lucky you, in Oklahoma I wonder if they will broadcast the local news HD oh well maybe next century

I wrote to the four Tulsa stations. Here's their replies:

KJRH-2 (NBC): "Our goal is to be producing local news in HD by the end of 2008."
KOTV-6 (CBS): "Not at the moment" (IOW, they're playing it very close to the vest.)
KTUL-8 (ABC): Planning to convert all local programming to HD but no firm date set (I'd pull a quote from the e-mail but I can't find it.)
KOKH-23 (FOX): "We will all be HD before its all over. Our plans for local HD will fall after the transition date of Feb '09."

Man! That is weak and lame at the same time.
I know, Charper, but part of the reason they may not know what's going on is KOKI is (was) a Clear Channel station. They are either being sold or have just been sold, so plans are probably in a state of flux.

Nothing new in these parts. Here in Cleveland, Ohio all of our major channels broadcast the news in HD, including all the local NBC, ABC, FOX and CBS affiliates.

Are you sure that WOIO is broadcasting local news in HD? I don't see any reference to that fact either in Wikipedia or on the WOIO web site.

I know, Charper, but part of the reason they may not know what's going on is KOKI is (was) a Clear Channel station. They are either being sold or have just been sold, so plans are probably in a state of flux.

I guess if it were me (and it not, LOL) that sale or no sale you would still keep digital conversion so high on the list, that anyone would know hat is going on. That is stays etched in stone.

I guess if it were me (and it not, LOL) that sale or no sale you would still keep digital conversion so high on the list, that anyone would know hat is going on. That is stays etched in stone.

Oh, KOKI is broadcasting in digital. I'm sure that production in HD was not a priority for Cheap Channel... er, Clear Channel. Who knows what priority it will be for the new owners?

Abc here in Chicago does Fake hd.. Well sort of... The talking heads and the weather graphics are really nice.. they pop and look good. All the feild footage is in 480P wide screen. They do have plans on going to 720P field footage next year.

In New Orleans:

CBS Affiliate, WWL: No HD news.

NBC Affiliate, WDSU: No HD news.

ABC Affiliate, WGNO:
  • Stuff from the studio: 720p.
  • Stuff from the field: mixture of 720p and 480i (upconverted). The 480i is sometimes pillarboxed, sometimes cropped. They dabbled in showing the 480i stuff from the field in "stretchovision" early on, but stopped that, thankfully. They appear to have one 720p capable remote truck and the rest are waiting to be upgraded. (Occasional live feeds from the field are in full 720p :) )
  • Archive footage: whatever it was shot in, up to 720p (usually 480i, unless it's quite new). Pillarboxed if 4x3 OAR.
  • Footage "courtesy" of other sources: Whatever it was given to them in up to 720p. Pillarboxed if 4x3 OAR.
  • Weather graphics: VGA resolution, cropped to 16x9 (so they look rather bad).
  • Intro and outro graphics: Full 720p.

FOX Affiliate, WVUE:
  • Stuff from the studio: 720p.
  • Stuff from the field: 720p if it was shot by their photographers and brought back to the studio for editing. Upconverted, anamorphic wide screen 480p if it is happening "live". (Bandwidth limitation on their remote trucks, but admirably seemlessly handled, and all in true 16x9 unstretched format).
  • Archive footage: whatever it was shot in, up to 720p (usually 480i, unless it's quite new). Pillarboxed if 4x3 OAR.
  • Footage "courtesy" of other sources: Whatever it was given to them in, up to 720p. Pillarboxed if 4x3 OAR.
  • Weather graphics: VGA resolution pillarboxed. The meteorologist can stand "in front of" the black pillars at the sides of the screen! :)
  • Intro and outro graphics: Full 720p.

Are you sure that WOIO is broadcasting local news in HD? I don't see any reference to that fact either in Wikipedia or on the WOIO web site.

I stand corrected. WOIO-CBS indeed is the only one of the big 4 channels to not broadcast local HD news in the Cleveland market.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)