Local stations going away?

Color WOW! All my friends whould ask "Did you see (whatever) last night." Or "Wasn't that show about (whatever) the other day great." All I could say was, "we don't have TV." Ahaaaa, life in the 50's. At least I had less bills then. ...
In those days TV Guide listed a symbol opposite the color programs... I can remember my wife and I would watch something simply because it was in color.

The feds are hungry for $$$ and have zero technical expertise. Wireless spectrum = easy money. Who still uses an antenna anyway? :eek:

We need the antenna. In Fort Wayne, Indiana, channel 55 lost their Fox affiliation. The programming was picked up by channel 33.2. Dish still is not broadcasting the channel and will not give us an alternate Fox channel. If they don't get this resolved, the only way to watch NFC football will be via the antenna. I'll miss the DVR on the OTA braodcast...

Who still uses an antenna anyway? :eek:

Anyone who wants to pick up local sub channels. Or if you are close enough, get locals from another city. In my case, Rochester, NY is my local. I live about 20 miles east of the city on top of a small hill. But I can get all channels from Syracuse, NY. Plus, with some break up, I can pick up some stations out of Buffalo, close to 100 miles away.

On December 29, 1949, KC2XAK of Bridgeport, Connecticut, became the first UHF television station to operate on a regular daily schedule. The first commercially licensed UHF television station was WWLP in Springfield, Massachusetts; [3] however, the first commercially licensed TV station on the air was KPTV, Channel 27, in Portland, Oregon, on September 18, 1952. This TV station used much of the equipment, including the transmitter, from KC2XAK. The big expansion to 530 UHF channels came in the 1960.

I remember Channel 27. Our Packard-Bell had a special strip in the tuner where channel 7 would normally be. Sets cost more in Portland than most anywhere else because of UHF. That, competition from vhf stations, and spotty reception in the hills caused them to move to 12 in '57. I'm starting to feel real old right now:p.

We need the antenna. In Fort Wayne, Indiana, channel 55 lost their Fox affiliation. The programming was picked up by channel 33.2. Dish still is not broadcasting the channel and will not give us an alternate Fox channel. If they don't get this resolved, the only way to watch NFC football will be via the antenna. I'll miss the DVR on the OTA braodcast...
It was uplinked yesterday so there is progress at least

Because there is a fox affiliate in the market Dish cannot import one...regardless if they have an agreement or not. Now if there was no Fox in the market then yes they could import one

Thanks for the history lesson. I don't know when 38 and 56 in Boston went on the air but I can remember my dad going to radio shack to get a loop antenna for the tv so we could watch uhf. Of course knowing my dad unless there was something he wanted to watch on either of those channels he wouldn't have been on a hurry. I swear we we're the last family in america to have a color tv too.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

56 was around in the mid 50s. 38 did not show up until 64.

Keep in mind the "virtual channel" you tune in.. say the analog was Ch 8 and now the digital is called Ch 8, that is not the channel they are on, but the virtual channel. The actual channel might be 34.. Ch 8 would still be acvailable for auction and not affect off air. Problem is, when analog was turned off, these channels were auctioned, so the dems were trying to sell off the same sprectrum twice to make it look nice on paper. The Virtual/actual channel got people, including NAB, all screwed up.

When analog was rurned off the plan was to auction off the channels above 51. THE current suggestion is to turn off unused channels in the UHF and VHF bands that are below 51. So the second auction would not have been for the same spectrum as the first.

Last edited:
:confused:

Why can't you use the DVR?

Our DVR (625) only works with Dish broadcasts and not with our antenna. I was told by the Dish reseller that I could upgrade to a 722k (?) and add an additional component that would allow me to record OTA antenna programming on the DVR. But I was also told that I would need to upgrade to HD programming which requires a new dish. The upgrade would have cost almost $300.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)