Local Stations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NateCohen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I was wondering. Is it possible (for an extra charge), to receive local channels from another area? I'm a huge Broncos fan, and I would love to have the local channels from Denver, if that's impossible, oh well. But when I move and get DirecTV, I'd love to have the locals from Denver.

P.S. I know there's a Sunday Ticket, but I just want to see Denver games, so I'd like to pay less for the local channels in Denver.

DirecTV will not KNOWINGLY sell you locals from a different DMA. There are circumstances where someone is a little outside of the DMA where they receive stations from that DMA without DirecTV knowing about it. Most locals are now on a spotbeam where it only covers a small portion of the nation, much like a regular radio station only covers so much area. If you are at the outer range of the spotbeam it is like being on the outer edge of the radio station's coverage. Maybe you will get it and maybe you won't. Take a look around these forums and spend a little time. There are resources around that will show the rough coverage area for each spotbeam and set of locals. If your actual address falls within the spotbeam for the Denver locals there are ways to stretch the rules a bit, but DirecTV knowing about it is not part of it.

NateCohen said:
I was wondering. Is it possible (for an extra charge), to receive local channels from another area? I'm a huge Broncos fan, and I would love to have the local channels from Denver, if that's impossible, oh well. But when I move and get DirecTV, I'd love to have the locals from Denver.

P.S. I know there's a Sunday Ticket, but I just want to see Denver games, so I'd like to pay less for the local channels in Denver.

YES. you can "move" ;)

But, since you DIDN'T tell us where you're at NOW, we have NO idea if you are close enough to get the Denver spotbeams on D* :rolleyes: - E*, on the other hand, has the big 4 + KWGN on CONUS beams, so you could get them anywhere in the US.

I live in the Albany area in New York, It's impossible to get the Denver locals I guess. I guess I will have to get Sunday Ticket when I get DirecTV. God, we need to move NOW!, I'm so sick of Time Warner and the lack of NFL Network.

NateCohen said:
I live in the Albany area in New York, It's impossible to get the Denver locals I guess. I guess I will have to get Sunday Ticket when I get DirecTV. God, we need to move NOW!, I'm so sick of Time Warner and the lack of NFL Network.

Yeah, it looks that way. Dish Network has ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC available as distant networks right now, but that is even in jeopardy right now...even for those eligible. Looks like your best bet would be to pony up the dough for Sunday Ticket on DirecTV. It's just too bad that the NFL can't find a way to sell individual teams rather than the whole shebang. Good luck.

NateCohen said:

Not necessarily - just buy a cheap E* receiver w/a D500 & sign up for Denver locals only using a Denver address. It will end up costing you $12 a month to do this ($6 for the Denver locals & $6 for not having an ATxx package) but you'll get the 4 main nets + KWGN, & you can still keep your D* system as well. (although, you'll obviously be putting another dish on your roof) This is still probably cheaper than paying for ST, & you'll be getting another set of networks you can time-shift with. (since the Denver network feeds are 1 hour behind you guys)

As FavreJL04 pointed out, the Denver feeds staying on CONUS could be in jeopardy, but until then, you can do what I am suggesting.

They are still signing subs up to do this even though they are losing this battle in the courts over "illegal" DNS?

charper1 said:
They are still signing subs up to do this even though they are losing this battle in the courts over "illegal" DNS?

Uh, if he uses a Denver physical addy for the DENVER LOCALS, it's NOT DNS ... :rolleyes: ;) As I said above, the only problem he'll run into is if E* has to stop doing DNS & then they decide to pull the Denver nets from CONUS & move them to spotbeams.

"Illegal DNS" has nothing to do with movers - as long as you live close enough to either the spotbeam of the one city you want, or if the city is on CONUS, you can get it w/out dealing with DNS. The fact that I get Chicago & Denver networks has NOTHING to do with DNS, since they are NOT via DNS.

Last edited:
i think you should be able to watch any local station you want. we can listen to many radio stations on the internet, but not tv stations.

it all has to do with commercials. Now if the local stations could put their commercials in occasionally then I think the NAB would be fine with the way it was back in the early 90s.

linkinpark244 said:
i think you should be able to watch any local station you want. we can listen to many radio stations on the internet, but not tv stations.
But that is only because the radio stations have decided to distribute over the internet. Television stations and especially their networks have decided not to distribute in that manner.

close but no cigar! DMA boundary dispute

Hey how would you like to live 1000 feet from the DMA line and be told you can only get your DMA (philly) even though you can get both DMA markets (philly and new york) OTA and via local cable... everyone in my area watches both cities channels.. my neighbor also has direct and he got waivers to receive all nyc channels with the exception of WABC because WPVI informed him they he lives in philly DMA and will not grant waivers, no exceptions! (What's interesting is that both WPVI and WABC are network owned there is no loss in revenue its all one company LOL.)I can see why to someone living hundreds or thosands of miles living outside a DMA but come on being 50 miles from both cities and being told you can only get one market..absurd These censorship rules need to be reformed...

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts