Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChrisK114

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 17, 2005
Mount Pleasant,SC
According to the Access mag for September, there is going to be local on the 8's on The Weather Channel. It says in an ad that they will have your local weather on them. It says it will only be on the SD feed. Also on the page where it talks about the US Open tennis coverage, it says some new features for local weather on D*'s active channel. Does anyone know anything about this and if so, when will it start.

According to the Access mag for September, there is going to be local on the 8's on The Weather Channel. It says in an ad that they will have your local weather on them. It says it will only be on the SD feed. Also on the page where it talks about the US Open tennis coverage, it says some new features for local weather on D*'s active channel. Does anyone know anything about this and if so, when will it start.

This is interesting ....
I hope it happens and it would be a great addition to the D* programming, the local weather is the only thing I would need the cable company for if I decided I needed it that bad.

I hope others have some addl. input in this area :)

Jimbo

Hmm, I am still undecided on this need OVER other channels first; and I am leaning toward NOT needing this in the short term.

I already have:
1. Interactive receiver weather by zip code
2. Sirius radio weather
3. Terrestrial radio weather
4. Internet weather
5. TWC 24/7
6. Local TV news 3 or 4 times a day
7. 24/7 local / regional / national via digital sub-channel

I already think everyone is on weather overload.

Last edited:
This will be nice. I was wondering if or when DTV was going to do this, but only in standard? Bummer! That means whenever I want to see local on the 8's I will have to switch the channel for it.

I think the good thing is the upgrade of the Active channel. According to the section in Access, you will be able to see your local radar. You will be able to set your box to give you an alert if a weather waring has been given for your area. It doesn't give alot of details about it but it is intrigueing. I know some people aren't excited about it, but it will help D* gain a little more local appeal.

Hmm, I am still undecided on this need OVER other channels first; and I am leaning toward NOT needing this in the short term.

I already have:
2. Sirius radio weather
4. Internet weather
5. TWC 24/7

Well here in Charleston, SC they got rid of the weather subchannels in order to improve the HD quality, so I don't have that option here. My wife has said numerous times that is the one thing she does not like about D*. If weather looks bad she would like to be able to see if it is heading our way.

but if it just says rain tuesday thats no good....is that morning, afternoon, night ? it has to break it into time increments like 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 etc.

Well here in Charleston, SC they got rid of the weather subchannels in order to improve the HD quality, so I don't have that option here. My wife has said numerous times that is the one thing she does not like about D*. If weather looks bad she would like to be able to see if it is heading our way.

If weather is that bad then local affiliate TV or a weather radio are always the best options. If you are in the midst of a torrential downpour , hail, hurricane, tornado, etc you won't be watching DBS or cable likely; you need terrestrial device.

It will probably similar what Dish was doing with local on the 8s. I would not get too excited about it. I highly doubt it will be anything like the cable local on the 8s.

I already have:
2. Sirius radio weather
4. Internet weather
5. TWC 24/7

Sirius / XM radio would not do anything for the local weather, unless you happen to be in the select cities that they cater too, My city is not one of them.
Also, we use to have a local doppler that was LIVE and real usefull on a sub channel, but it was taken down in favor of more childrens programming, now we don't see the children programming and the doppler is no longer available, great move that was.
They had a .2 and a .3 and both the 2 and 3 are now gone.

Jimbo

Our local channel 7 station has a 24 hour weather channel. I gave up on the weather channel a long time ago. In fact i took it off on my favorite channels-plus i can get instant weather on the pc 24-7-just not on the 8's. Max.

It seems like many of you are disappointed with the Weather Channel. I can not blame you. It seems like their forecasting has got worse throughout the years.

the weather channel to me seems the same as the others....its the poeple watching that are stupid alot of times.

example:
weather channel will say usually a chance of rain...then if it doesnt rain people complain....but the weather channel didnt say rain, only a chance of rain...look at weather.com & it will say like 40% chance....which means some people will get and others wont.

When will this happen???

Heck I am still trying to confirm something like this is going to happen. I was hoping someone in the know would know something. I am just going on what I read in Access Magazine. Didn't really give a whole lot of details..

I think the good thing is the upgrade of the Active channel. According to the section in Access, you will be able to see your local radar. You will be able to set your box to give you an alert if a weather waring has been given for your area. It doesn't give alot of details about it but it is intrigueing. I know some people aren't excited about it, but it will help D* gain a little more local appeal.

I hope this feature is more reliable than Caller ID.

the weather channel to me seems the same as the others....its the poeple watching that are stupid alot of times.

example:
weather channel will say usually a chance of rain...then if it doesnt rain people complain....but the weather channel didnt say rain, only a chance of rain...look at weather.com & it will say like 40% chance....which means some people will get and others wont.
I never rely on TWC for forecasts. I usually always rely on Tom Skilling who is a local meteorologist here in the Chicago area. TWC is wrong most of the time, especially on snow forecasts. If they say 3-6 inches we will get 8-10 inches and if they say 8-10 inches we only get 2-4 inches. They are also sometimes 10-15 degrees off of the predicted temperature for day time highs. Just my experience though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)