Locals connect or reconnect fee?

Mark609

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 1, 2015
Texas
Does DISH hit you with a connect OR disconnect fee? I'm still having trouble with OTA so I asked for our Locals back and was told there would be a connect fee of $5, this after dropping the locals for 2 days because I mysteriously started getting strong OTA signals again. After I raised hell the rep waived the fee. She went on to say I had been hit with the fee when we first subscribed to the locals June 2. Told her we didn't and I didn't appreciate being hit with a fee and not being told about it. Been with DISH since the 80's and I still don't trust them.

I also hate the account summary when you apply or disconnect in the middle of your account period. Very confusing. It appears they over charge us albeit they charge or add one a month in advance of fees.

Does DISH hit you with a connect OR disconnect fee? I'm still having trouble with OTA so I asked for our Locals back and was told there would be a connect fee of $5, this after dropping the locals for 2 days because I mysteriously started getting strong OTA signals again. After I raised hell the rep waived the fee. She went on to say I had been hit with the fee when we first subscribed to the locals June 2. Told her we didn't and I didn't appreciate being hit with a fee and not being told about it. Been with DISH since the 80's and I still don't trust them.

I also hate the account summary when you apply or disconnect in the middle of your account period. Very confusing. It appears they over charge us albeit they charge or add one a month in advance of fees.

So, were you told about it or not told about it? To answer your question, I've never been hit with a fee for connecting or disconnecting locals. But, then I've never changed my mind after two days.

I do know that I wouldn't do business with a company I couldn't trust after 30+ years.

Reactions: charlesrshell
"The company began using Dish Network as its consumer brand in March 1997 after the successful launch of its first satellite, EchoStar I, in December 1995." per Wikipedia. Maybe, you owned a Echostar big dish receiver before then, but not little dish sat services.

The issue is intermittent OTA service. We got it back strong, for two days only. Wife has to record "her shows" so we again now have the locals. Wouldn't want her to miss her Soaps. What I need to do is find someone that can check the outdoor connections for me as we've had a lot of wind blown rain this spring when the outages started. Equipment is CM4228 8 bowtie antenna mounted 8' above the roof ridge pointed at the transmission farm/group 56 milles east of me, west Austin. Titan 7777 pre-amp was also installed about 13 years ago near the antenna.

Why am I with DISH? Cause I'm rural and have no choice other than Direct TV. Streaming is also not an option. Love the Hopper 3 and Joey feeding a new Sony 4K projector and my custom built home theater sound system.

Since some folks are more interested in pointing out "spelling errors" rather than the question at hand.... I was one of the first old timers who had NO choice but to buy the original DISH equipment, unbox and install it themselves including finding the first satelite up there. When that was is a moot point.

The issue is intermittent OTA service. We got it back strong, for two days only. Wife has to record "her shows" so we again now have the locals. Wouldn't want her to miss her Soaps. What I need to do is find someone that can check the outdoor connections for me as we've had a lot of wind blown rain this spring when the outages started. Equipment is CM4228 8 bowtie antenna mounted 8' above the roof ridge pointed at the transmission farm/group east of me. Titan 7777 pre-amp was also installed about 13 years ago near the antenna.

Why am I with DISH? Cause I'm rural and have no choice other than Direct TV. Streaming is also not an option. Love the Hopper 3 and Joey feeding a new Sony 4K projector and my custom built home theater sound system.

Since some folks are more interested in pointing out "spelling errors" rather than the question at hand.... I was one of the first old timers who had NO choice but to buy the original DISH equipment, unbox and install it themselves including finding the first satelite up there. When that was is a moot point.

OTA reception can vary with weather and other atmospheric conditions. Are you sure you don't have any VHF channels in your location pre- or post-repack? The 4228 is not awesome at VHF reception, but it could pick up VHF channels under ideal conditions.

So, were you told about it or not told about it? To answer your question, I've never been hit with a fee for connecting or disconnecting locals. But, then I've never changed my mind after two days.

I do know that I wouldn't do business with a company I couldn't trust after 30+ years.

Yeah, and where you sit is what you see.

I was never told about it until I called to get the locals back. I raised hell, asked to talk to a level up supervisor, was put on hold and then told there would be no connection fee. What in the hell that gal was trying to pull I don't know.

I may have to cut thru the Bullsh!t and call "my guy" at their corporate headquarters. He's great. Talking to someone from India that you can barely understand gets old.

OTA reception can vary with weather and other atmospheric conditions. Are you sure you don't have any VHF channels in your location pre- or post-repack? The 4228 is not awesome at VHF reception, but it could pick up VHF channels under ideal conditions.

I did a re-scan before calling DISH and got VHF 3 which is frickin' crazy, a first for the low VHF channel. We have channel 7, FOX, but I can't get it. Really only interested in UHF, channels 18-54.

Everyone has gotten out of the OTA biz in my area. Was told by a tech who once installed/repaired antennas that most likely my problem is the connections with the copper center are wet and corroded.

I did a re-scan before calling DISH and got VHF 3 which is frickin' crazy, a first for the low VHF channel. We have channel 7, FOX, but I can't get it. Really only interested in UHF, channels 18-54.

Everyone has gotten out of the OTA biz in my area. Was told by a tech who once installed/repaired antennas that most likely my problem is the connections with the copper center are wet and corroded.

I have a similar issue with getting professional OTA help where I live, which is not rural.

I have a similar issue with getting professional OTA help where I live, which is not rural.

I hear ya. You ought to see my thick file on OTA! TV Fool is my second home. :biggrin It's pretty nice when you can get uncompressed (or in some cases nearly so) digital signals free via an antenna. My neighbor across the highway gets about 60 channels with the same antenna and NO preamp, go figure. To add insult to injury he's about 30' lower than I am. We both have to shoot across hills due east towards Austin and have 1Edge and 2Edge refractions because of it. The total elevation of my antenna is 1,800' which includes my house's natural elevation on the acreage. The towers are grouped and are at a whopping 2,000' which includes the natural 800' elevation they sit on.

Tricky stuff.......

Reactions: ncted
Tuner sensitivity is a big player. Neighbor runs straight into a Sony flat screen. The DISH OTA adapter is much less sensitive it seems and probably why the thing runs so hot - electricity is being converted into heat.

Didn't Dish just go into the installation business of installing or mounting tvs, av receivers etc. Doesn't that include OTA outside antennas, if wanted by the customer.

Reactions: bspei
Didn't Dish just go into the installation business of installing or mounting tvs, av receivers etc. Doesn't that include OTA outside antennas, if wanted by the customer.

Apparently so and I may take them up on it if for nothing else than to check my RG6 connections outdoors. Here's how to beat the service cost using option #2:

1. Pay a one time fee of $95 for a service call,

or

2. Pay a $9.99/month maintenance fee for a minimum of 6 months, this according to a DISH tech who I hope is correct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts