Locals dropping like flys, we need new regulations

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
I'm sure there are reasons " Laws and Regulations" that prevent them from broadcasting the national feeds but most of these have got to be from when cable was a threat to the local markets to protect ad revenue. These regs were put in place decades ago before satellite was possible. These local stations have evolved into cartels just like OPEC and are attempting to set a new market price now that HD is more in demand from consumers. What we need as loyal satellite users is new legislation that will allow D and E to transmit the national feeds both HD and SD into local markets where this extortion is taken place. With ABC CBS NBC and Fox Losing market share year by year, they would only be helping themselves by supporting a new standard in this new age.

National broadcast is allowed because the Locals will lose ad revenue. Also Dish did some sneaky dealings with some of their Nationals and was banned from broadcasting them I think.

I think the free market may take care of this problem. If DirecTV and the cable companies will get on board with Dish and fight these locals, they can push back their drive for more money. It seems to me that Dish is the only provider being aggressive at the moment.

If the others don't get with the program, Dish will suffer a lot of turnover as they have in the last 12 months or so. The free market will take care of it in that situation as well.

In the meantime, we're in for some pain as consumers.

Customers are the ones receiving the "shaft" here. We suffer because these companies are greedy and want their "fair share". I think the open market will work its way out.

TW Cable lost fox 11 for weeks and even handed out OTA antennas to try and make them happy. Then once they worked it out, TW jacked the rates and lost even more people.

The local fox news was suggesting DISH on their broadcasts.....hmmmm......biggest kick back for them??

pfan

When WTEN (Young Broadcasting) is removed with the current Young dispute, Albany will be down to one HD station. I have never blamed Dish, but the broadcast groups do not care. A while a go, I posted asking everyone effected to write to Freedom Corp regarding their standoff with Dish (10 markets or so), Freedom tells me that they have received less than 30 emails and letters asking them to settle. (Now it is true that some people may have written local stations and it is also true that Freedom may not be honest with there numbers.) With that kind of reaction, they have no reason to settle. The only thing that can motivate these companies is if we go to advertisers. People should write to the companies that advertise on these stations and ask them if they are now enjoying a discount on their advertising rates because x tens of thousands of viewers can not see their ads.

Last edited:
I refuse to watch CBS 12 WPEC (about 45-50 miles away from me) in west palm beach because they are the only channel that isn't high def on dish..

I bitched to them before dish carried any hd in west palm.. once.. twice.. finally (after getting tired of me) they told me to get a bigger antenna.. I told them a few choice words and that I would watch the Miami (25 miles away) station instead since it comes in crystal clear OTA.. :)

Things like this are why I always liked my antenna. When I had D*, even with HD, I always used my antenna, I took the satellite HD locals out of my channel list, they never worked anyway, every time it clouded up (small exaggeration there) they would go out, I liked the idea of locals being optional and letting us who have an antenna pay less. :up

I'm sure there are reasons " Laws and Regulations" that prevent them from broadcasting the national feeds but most of these have got to be from when cable was a threat to the local markets to protect ad revenue. These regs were put in place decades ago before satellite was possible. These local stations have evolved into cartels just like OPEC and are attempting to set a new market price now that HD is more in demand from consumers. What we need as loyal satellite users is new legislation that will allow D and E to transmit the national feeds both HD and SD into local markets where this extortion is taken place. With ABC CBS NBC and Fox Losing market share year by year, they would only be helping themselves by supporting a new standard in this new age.

Regulations/legislation is the problem.... but, *more* regulations/legislation is the answer?

Things like this are why I always liked my antenna. When I had D*, even with HD, I always used my antenna, I took the satellite HD locals out of my channel list, they never worked anyway, every time it clouded up (small exaggeration there) they would go out, I liked the idea of locals being optional and letting us who have an antenna pay less. :up

Yep. I wish I could afford to run a public service announcement to the whole Dish Network world telling them about that great, free HD content just floating carelessly through the air. :) It's a lot - A LOT - more dependable than cable or dish.

Yep. I wish I could afford to run a public service announcement to the whole Dish Network world telling them about that great, free HD content just floating carelessly through the air. :) It's a lot - A LOT - more dependable than cable or dish.

We saw during the election cycle that money gets you a channel for such things. :)

In all seriousness though, I'd think that Dish would set up a website and offer some cheap or free HD antenna options for customers in these areas. All it would do is make these broadcasters look worse and Dish look better, I figure.

Admittedly, there's plenty of people who are outside of the footprint, but doesn't that ultimately make the broadcasters look like they suck at coverage? I'd think so.

Guess what else would help?

Do not do something stupid like putting East Coast LILs on 129! We have trees here!

When WTEN (Young Broadcasting) is removed with the current Young dispute, Albany will be down to one HD station. I have never blamed Dish, but the broadcast groups do not care. A while a go, I posted asking everyone effected to write to Freedom Corp regarding their standoff with Dish (10 markets or so), Freedom tells me that they have received less than 30 emails and letters asking them to settle. (Now it is true that some people may have written local stations and it is also true that Freedom may not be honest with there numbers.) With that kind of reaction, they have no reason to settle. The only thing that can motivate these companies is if we go to advertisers. People should write to the companies that advertise on these stations and ask them if they are now enjoying a discount on their advertising rates because x tens of thousands of viewers can not see their ads.

that's kind of sad, the Albany market is a decent market, and Dish has ONE HD? Pathetic, actually.

The locals situation is lousy with these 'small' co. stations like LIN and others. Just 'move' to Chicago...wait Ciel 2 went up... or just get Bell EVU or StarChoice for Canadian HD for lots of Canadian cable and locals/Buffalo ? locals /Chicago locals.

I agree new regulation's may not be the best way to go , but maybe a repeal of the ones that prevent D and E from offering an alternative. I for one would be more than willing to buy a national broadcast pack from any regional market such as Atlanta, New York or LA to get all the feeds in HD. Right now these groups of local cartels are treating their signals as pay per view anyway using ancient broadcast regulations as cover. These companies have been snapping up these locals to have more leverage to control the prices. They know we all will want our favorite shows and sports in HD. They are moving towards more and more price increases for what should be broadcast for free based upon the original structure of advertisers paying, remember the 50's and 60's before cable. I can't blame Charlie for his tactic's, if he gives in easily to the demands from these groups then where does it end. I know this will not happen but we can dream.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)