Locals & HD, Is this Possible?

DP1962

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
I have a DVR 522 receiver and was told by my Dish Network retailer that my local channels would be HD if hooked to a TV with a HD tuner, is this correct?

Would this even be the case if I had the Dish Network HD receiver?

If you connect the appropriate antenna to the (HD)TV, then of course you get HD locals provided your local broadcasters are sending out HD.

If you output from the tv to the 522, or connect the antenna to the 522, you can't even tune HD channels on the 522. The 522 would not "pass through" HD channels because it lacks HD outputs (DVI, HDMI, HD component).

It almost sounds like you (DP1962) or your retailer were talking about your locals as delivered through satellite from Dish Network... those are not in HD at this time. If that's not what you meant above, then you can safely ignore this message. :)

You're correct

TuxCoder said:
It almost sounds like you (DP1962) or your retailer were talking about your locals as delivered through satellite from Dish Network... those are not in HD at this time. If that's not what you meant above, then you can safely ignore this message. :)

We were not talking OTA, simply local channels delivered via Dish Network satellite.

Shall I assume that dfergie is referring to an OTA routed through a Dish Network HD receiver or do your responses contradict one another?

Yes, he was referring to OTA digital locals. :)

It's kinda neat getting my locals from three mostly different sources (analog OTA, digital OTA, E*). I've messed with people before by having all three sources for one station going at the same time (very noticeable delay between any two sources). I put my audio receiver on one source, the big screen on another (with sound), and the small TV next to it on the other source (with sound). :D

Hello there freinds,
I Have a DVR 921 with dish 500. I get DiscoveryHD, TNTHD, HBOHD, espnHD + HDNET. Can I recieve local channels (NBC, ABC...) through the DISH and not the OTA? I know that it broadcasts here because a freind of mine who lives a street away from me gets HD local through both the OTA and the DISH. (he does have direct tv)

Thank you for the help, :)

Nope, Mack, you can only get the locals in HD via OTA using a Dish 921. They do not, as yet, broadcast them from Dish in HD. OTA if you are close enough to the transmitters, is quite easy with a 921. Hook up an indoor antenna to start and try it.
OTA in HD is great if you can get it.

"Hook up an indoor antenna to start and try it."

Get out of town!! thats great, never knew it would work like that. If it is that easy, why pay a guy to install a big antenna out side your house? Does that get better distance to receive HDTV channales then say, Terk TV55 Amplified slim-line indoor/outdoor VHF/UHF/HDTV antenna? (I would link it but this site says I cannot because I have not yet posted 5 times.)

Thanks a lot for your time Grandude,

mack, how close are you to your transmission towers and are there any obstacles in the line of sight to the towers? Stay away from Terk products, they suck. If you are fairly close, try a Silver Sensor, they rock. If you are more than about 20 miles away and/or have terrain or large buildings blocking the signal, you may need an outdoor antenna.

DP1962 said:
I have a DVR 522 receiver and was told by my Dish Network retailer that my local channels would be HD if hooked to a TV with a HD tuner, is this correct?
No and yes. If you have a TV antenna and your HDTV has a digital tuner then you could receive local OTA in HD, but of course the 522 is not playing any role for HD.

DP1962 said:
Would this even be the case if I had the Dish Network HD receiver?
Yes, if you have a TV antenna connected to it you can receive local OTA in HD.

Dishnetwork does not offer HD locals at this time (with one exception CBS-HD from NYC or LA if you qualify). You need a separate TV antenna (indoor or outdoor), a digital TV tuner (which may be built-in or separate STB or dishnetwork HD receiver), an HDTV (or HD ready TV if using a digital receiver) and your local stations must broadcast in digital. Please note, not all digital broadcasts are in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts