Locals in HD beyond LA and NYC

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SquadCo6

Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Outside Philly
OK, we have finally seen the first phase of this now up and running. Congrats to those in LA and NYC. Anything on the balance of the cities listed?? Philadelphia was 4th on the list so I would assume that it should be in the next batch of local HD start-ups, but, then again it is Dish Network! I was curious if anyone of you caught wind of a schedule as far as release dates. I cant see them waiting till the end of the year to launch the balance all at once. Ohh, wait, i forgot we are talking about E* again. Gotta stay on track when typing this thread. Anyways figured I would ask.

Chicago,Boston,Albuquerque,&Nashville are on the satellite but not turned on. But unlike NY & LA, these locals are actually MPEG4 and not faux MPEG4 like NY/LA, so they may still be testing with the MPEG4 signal before turning them on

BFG said:
Chicago,Boston,Albuquerque,&Nashville are on the satellite but not turned on. But unlike NY & LA, these locals are actually MPEG4 and not faux MPEG4 like NY/LA, so they may still be testing with the MPEG4 signal before turning them on

Any word on Atlanta HD locals man?

BFG said:
Chicago,Boston,Albuquerque,&Nashville are on the satellite but not turned on.

Holic said:
Any word on Atlanta HD locals man?

They haven't exactly been clear on the order of the rolling out of local HD in other markets but Atlanta is mentioned as one of the first along with the markets mentioned above. The DISH tech I talked to could only be pinned down to say that local HD in the five top markets (Chi, Phil, Bos are 3,4 &5) should be available by February or March. I wish I had more clarity!:(

leegart said:
They haven't exactly been clear on the order of the rolling out of local HD in other markets but Atlanta is mentioned as one of the first along with the markets mentioned above. The DISH tech I talked to could only be pinned down to say that local HD in the five top markets (Chi, Phil, Bos are 3,4 &5) should be available by February or March. I wish I had more clarity!:(

Thats better than the CSR I spoke with, he had no clue, put me on hold, came back, and still had no clue. Maybe we'll get them by April.

JohnH said:
Just for kicks, they added local channel numbers to Chicago, Boston and Nashville today. They are not available.
What is with the channel numbers they put in for the HD channels? They're not the normal OTA channels for them. Are they just numbers that Dish picked so that they can appear with the SD channels in the remapped OTA portion of the guide?

garys said:
To BFG: NY locals were added but do not read as mpeg2. I should have now on my 921, but I still have to wait on new receiver.

Exactly. ;) That's why I called them Faux MPEG4

Derwin0 said:
What is with the channel numbers they put in for the HD channels? They're not the normal OTA channels for them. Are they just numbers that Dish picked so that they can appear with the SD channels in the remapped OTA portion of the guide?

There are numbers in the 6300 area for the HDs which are not remaps. They are planning to have the channels also show in the 2-69 area on the same channel number as the SD. These would be placed adjacent to the SD Channel(s).

I think they plan to remove the SD station where an HD station exists, that's what I think they're working on and was probably the feature mentioned in the 211, you get to choose weather you want your SD downmapped or your HD downmapped

That brings up a good point. If your Local HD channel is mapped, what quality of picture would you get if the station broadcasts a SD program, on a HD set. Would the picture be better or worse than picking a SD local broadcasting SD on a HD set. By the way, broadcasting locals in HD may speed the implementation of HD faster than any other programming type.

There's probably a list somewhere that spells out the order and dates that Dish plans to roll this out. But it's on a need to know basis only. Top Secret, for Charlie's eyes only. He'd tell you but then he'd need to silence you.:devil:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts