Locals - MPEG2 or MPEG4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Silvia2112

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Are the local HD channels broadcast in MPEG2 or MPEG4? I find the locals in the CT area are soft compared to the MPEG4's like Smithsonian.

ny & la are in both formats. eventually they will drop mpeg2 dns and they will upgrade those receiving channels in the 80s.

I imagine they would requalify them at that point, there are many getting dns that have locals.

As stated the locals are in mpeg4, but I find the difference in quality between the local and national channels pretty significant. The locals seem to be compressed significantly more by DirecTV. There are times when the compression artifacts are jumping around so much its nuts! If that weren't enough the feed DirecTV is receiving may already be an OTA mpeg2 signal from your local channel and then DirecTV is re-encoding that to mpeg4.

I can't tell any difference between my D* MPEG4 HD locals and the OTA version. D* receives our locals via the OTA MPEG2 signal as you describe. Maybe there is something wrong with your setup?

My locals have nice pq and I live in Los Angeles. All of the locals are in HD and come in as good as any other HD channel I have

Don't get me wrong their not horrible. I'll take it way way over SD. It is mostly noticeable on darker backgrounds, like walls. The front side of Jay Leno's desk always as big blocky artifacts moving around, even when the camera is still. Adjusting the brightness level down has compensated for the problem quite a bit.

Sorry to crap on your thread OP! At least were kinda on your topic here...

Don't get me wrong their not horrible. I'll take it way way over SD. It is mostly noticeable on darker backgrounds, like walls. The front side of Jay Leno's desk always as big blocky artifacts moving around, even when the camera is still. Adjusting the brightness level down has compensated for the problem quite a bit.

Sorry to crap on your thread OP! At least were kinda on your topic here...

I don't have any problem with artifacts on Leno ...
Looks great ..... for NBC actually it looks like the best HD NBC does !

Jimbo

I too have ZERO issue on anything MPEG4, especially LiL in my DMA. If you DMA does, then it might be getting passed along from the original signal provided to DBS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)