Locals NOT on spotbeams

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

poppasnoop

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
I know this has been posted many times, but, where can I find a link to find out which cities locals are available nationally (i.e. the ones like New York that aren't on spotbeams)? Thanks.

I thought Los Angeles (6306 - 6309) was on spot beam now... I thought only New York, Denver, and Chicago were available nationally but it looks like there are a lot of markets depending on where you are aimed.

Anyways, what's with channels 254 and 255 (CW - Miami and CW - San Diego)? I know it indicates specific markets but they are placed sort of in the superstations and distant networks range -- I've never seen these advertised and also notice KTLA is also listed on 252 -- it's the only superstation I subscribe to but I receive it on 232 (also indicated on the chart).

Never mind... I think I was reading it wrong on the Los Angeles stuff. The 8000 channel range shows all of them on spot beam so I'm guessing the 6000 was HD?

Interesting. I guess if somebody wanted a set of locals bad enough, they could get the HD receiver, pay the access fee, and simply "move".

Anyways, does anybody know anything about how the HD will appear on an SD television? I think my SD is fading and I'll be purchasing an HDTV within a year but would sort of like to go ahead and do the free upgrade for six months -- although the picture quality, etc, will likely be a little off on an SD screen... If it makes any difference, the current television is a 32 inch Zenith that is about 10 - 12 years old (lol). Again, though, when I first turn the television on, about the bottom 1/4 of the screen is black and the picture gradually (over about 5 minutes) fills the entire screen. It started this about 2 weeks ago... Plus, with the way the prices have dropped, I think it will be crazy to buy a tube television again.

This is from another thread here on Satelliteguys:

Local channels which are on a "Conus" beam.
(129° and 148° have foot prints that do not reach the eastern US very well. 148° is below the horizon in the east)
PBS National channel is only at 119°

61.5°
Boston (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
New York (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
Philadelphia (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)

Providence
(SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, CW)
Washington, D.C. (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)

105°
Charleston, WV (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBSx4)
Charlottesville (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS)
Clarcksburg / Weston (SD - CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS)
Columbus, OH (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, CW, ION/REL)
Dayton (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, CW)
Sioux City (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBSx2)

110°
Chicago (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WGN-Supersation@119° NOT WGN 9)
Denver (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW@119°)

118°
Charlotte (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
Detroit (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
Pittsburgh (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
Raleigh (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
St. Louis (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)

119°
Denver (SD - CW ONLY)
Los Angeles (SD - CW ONLY)
Boston (SD - Ind ONLY)
New York (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, MyTV)
PBS National Channel.

121°
Erie (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS)
Providence ((SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, CW)
Wausau (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS)
Wichita Falls / Lawton (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS national, Telemundo)

129°
Atlanta (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
Albuquerque (HD - ABC, NBC, Fox)

Charleston, WV ((SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBSx4, CW)
Chicago (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
Charlottesville (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS)
Clarksburg / Weston, WV (SD - CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS)
Columbus, OH (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, CW, ION/Rel)
Dayton (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, CW)
Denver (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
Erie (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS)
Kansas City (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
Los Angeles (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)

Minneapolis/St. Paul (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
Nashville (HD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox)
Salt Lake City (HD - CBS, NBC, Fox)

Sioux City (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBSx2)
Wausau (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS)
Wichita Falls / Lawton (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS national, Telemundo)

148°
Abilene / Sweetwater (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS National, TCN, Telemundo)
Billings (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS National)
Casper (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS)
Cheyenne (SD - ABCx2, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS)
Fairbanks (HD/Digital) (ABC, Fox, PBS & TBN Only)
Juneau (HD/Digital) (ABC/PBS only)

Lubbock (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, CW, MyTV, Rel)
Medford (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, MyTV, Rel)
Rapid City (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS)
San Angelo (SD - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS national)

Thanks for posting this, Tony! This is a wonderful reference even though I'd need a second dish to get just about any of them (with exception to 110 and 119).

Just to add to that post, there is also

CBS/NBC/FOX/ABC through NPS for the Atlanta and San Franciso DMA which are on Echo7@119.

Also, there are CW affiliates from Miami and San Diego on the same orbital location, but not many people are sure what markets are eligilbe for the Miami/San Diego feeds against the NY/LA feeds (which are also in the superstation package).

I noticed the Miami and San Diego feeds of the CW on the chart that was posted earlier. I already have Atlanta and San Francisco through NPS so the only thing a different set of locals would potentially do to me is move me out of the regional sports network that I have now and into another one. I also have KTLA. I'm considering WWOR but have never actually made the move.

I once had all of the Charlotte locals but the reception was sporadic (about a 45 - 55 signal strength) and I wound up dropping all but one of the locals which I receive a la carte. Now, I could get Cincinnati from my area (signal strength about 55 - 60) but I'm not sure if it would be better and, beyond that, I'm confused about spot beams and should just follow Tony's list.

Where did the original poster want locals from?

Oh, and the Atlanta market is my home at the moment anyways.

Which markets, other than Miami and San Diego, qualify for those feeds of the CW?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)