Locals on ConUS change observations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If the dish 1000.4 is discontinued what would 77 be used for? Besides the 1000.4 is the only config that picks up those sats with decent numbers in the west coast. I had the 1000.2 earlier and could barely touch the teens.

Right now I think DISH is going to use 77 just for the Mexico service since they have moved just about all the locals to 61.5 sat now.

129 is a leased slot (like 72 and 77).

Dish has 50 TPs that they own on WA (110->29, 119->21), 32 that they lease on 129 or 82 total

Dish has 30 TPs that they own on EA (61.5->30), 2 they "borrow on 61.5", 64 that they lease or 96 total.

Essentially Dish doing all programming on Eastern Arc takes 64 transponders. If they gave up 129 they would be 14 TPs short on WA even if they converted to MPEG 4.

Okay if DISH dumps the 77 sat for people in the U.S. to use for locals and or latino programming ,then you would only need 61.5 and 72.7 sats for eastern arc, thus the new 2 lnb and the discontinuation of the 1000.4 sat dish. So if DISH can do all the programming on just two sats on eastern arc, then and if they ever go all mpeg4 on western arc , I wonder if they will no longer use the 110 sat? Go back to just two sats for everything on either arc-except for internationals?

Critical BACKUP for loss of transponders or sats.

Dish would most likely keep and use all the DBS transponders and slots they own It would be the transponders and slots they currently lease that Dish would most likely eliminate, if it comes to that as it would eliminate the extra cost of leasing. Technology in 10 years could see getting twice or three times the data in half or a third of the current bandwidth Dish has today. None of us can really predict future tech advancements in even less than a decade as things change faster than that today. Then, again, Dish--or, perhaps more accurately, Echostar-- also owns some non-DBS sats at other orbital locations, and as was stated in an earlier post, one never knows what Dish will do. As unlikely as it may seem, Dish may use those slots in a way none of us are thinking is possible today. I thought 110 had an all spot beam sat with tons of spot beams with the vast majority of channels at 110 being LIL co-located with a ConUS also at 110 to fill in the gap for national programming.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that leasing unused slots like 77 is pretty cheap... After all they are collecting income vs having to build a satellite and launch it.

Lexington Locals are still being pulled from 77. I always felt that the compression on 77 isin't as clear as what you get with 61.5 due to the Turbo Compressed resolution. However when I test the Lexington locals on 61.5 I don't see any pictorial improvements. Another observation is that when I pull the locals from 61.5 instead, the program guide does not update.

When dish moved evansville, IN locals to 61.5, the receiver instantly started looking for those channels on 61.5 and since they were spot I got flashed with the screen of the searching transponders even though they exist on 77. At that point the foil bandaid did the trick.

I'm not going to say what market I have now for fear of jinxing it. ;)

On the eastern arc there are two conUS. Lexington and Columbus. Can't believe its just the two of them. Typically I've never seen them move a ConUS to a Spot unless the satellite configuration changes. The Spot in an around the above two states might be too crowded but you never know. I've not seen the spot config that closely

Look at 77W and which markets are CONUS that are not spotbeams on 61.5.

Last edited:
Look at 77W and which markets are CONUS that are not spotbeams on 61.5.

Aah I get that. In my mind, that was my second option but giving the spectrum and the trend, it looks like dish will move it all. The new installs for latino is also being done with 110. I believe I read that somewhere else. Its all speculation at the moment.

They are slowly moving them off of 77. I would speculate that the delays are just waiting for the fiber connections to the new uplink sites. Dish is not really in a hurry, they do not appear to need the space on 77 quickly.

As of this morning, the locals are defaulting to 61.5 for Lexington, KY. They still exist live and running on 77 but the receiver now pulls them from 61.5. I have a feeling the receiver picks from either satellite which it can first get to. It may not be controlled by dish, but then I can be wrong.

In mixed arc situations, I wonder how dish will handle a channel from a certain sat. On FTA's you can force a sat but with dish, its all internally configured with its tiers.

As of this morning, the locals are defaulting to 61.5 for Lexington, KY. They still exist live and running on 77 but the receiver now pulls them from 61.5. I have a feeling the receiver picks from either satellite which it can first get to. It may not be controlled by dish, but then I can be wrong.

In mixed arc situations, I wonder how dish will handle a channel from a certain sat. On FTA's you can force a sat but with dish, its all internally configured with its tiers.

In the past when you had a channel on multiple satellites, it would move back and forth when Dish would update the information tables, it probably just picks the first entry it finds in the table, and when Dish changes the table for a new uplink it can move.

In the past when you had a channel on multiple satellites, it would move back and forth when Dish would update the information tables, it probably just picks the first entry it finds in the table, and when Dish changes the table for a new uplink it can move.

You are probably right with this observation. I keep seeing them switch back and forth, but when I was in Evansville and that moved to SPOT with conUS on 77, the receiver immediately started looking for those channels on 61.5 and since its out of my coverage I got hit with the screen of transponder check and "dish knows about the issue". I would have to block out 61.5 and do a switch check to force it to see 77 as primary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)