Locals on DirecTV vs DishNetwork

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MuteMango

Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me...

I'm a semi-retired engineer. I travel, for weeks/months at a time... sometimes for fun... sometimes for money.

I would like to get Dallas locals when I travel. I understand that on DishNetwork, the locals will 'follow-me' just about anywhere I go. On DirecTV, once I leave the area of their spot transponders, I will loose the Dallas locals... so I will need to have their Distant Network Service to east/west coast.

Question: Are the DirecTV HD locals broadcast to the CONUS?

Dallas, TX channels are not available in the situation that you describe.

All American Direct offers SD feeds from Atlanta and San Francisco through DISH Network if you have a vehicle (boat, RV, big rig) account.

DIRECTV offers SD and HD feeds of New York and L.A. if you have an vehicle account.

Ever hear of a sling box?? If you can internet connection u can get your locals
This assumes that you have a Slingbox, a suitable computer and a suitable Internet connection at both ends. Most suspend their broadband connections at home if they are gone for months at a time.

DirecTV offers HD Locals for most markets. I like that because, for most people, they don't want to bother with off air antennas to get their locals in HD. Also, if you live 30+miles from the local station tower, your HD reception is weak with an off air antenna. Makes it worthwhile to get your locals on DirecTV satellite.

DirecTV offers HD Locals for most markets.
The problem with the DIRECTV offering is that it typically lacks the also-ran HD stations and PBS. The Ka band signals are also no picnic when the weather gets nasty. Of course if you're travelling, you only get the big four for the East and West Coasts if you have a Ka capable antenna solution and an RV waiver.

And as someone that doesn't subscribe to DirecTV you're basing this on what, actual experience of your usual FUD?
Actual experience backed up with many accounts here and elsewhere. Look especially for accounts from Florida and the Gulf Coast where the look angles are otherwise pretty good.

Couple this with the tedium of getting your Ka dish properly aligned and you're likely to see some dropouts in the Ka signals.

Actual experience backed up with many accounts here and elsewhere. Look especially for accounts from Florida and the Gulf Coast where the look angles are otherwise pretty good.

Couple this with the tedium of getting your Ka dish properly aligned and you're likely to see some dropouts in the Ka signals.

As you mentioned, a poorly aligned dish will make rainfade worst then a similar Ku only dish poorly installed. But I can say based on actual experience down in Austin it's only very slightly worst then Ku reception. But your posts make it out like you get any type of 'nasty' weather and you have an outage which isn't the case based on MY actual experience.

As you mentioned, a poorly aligned dish will make rainfade worst then a similar Ku only dish poorly installed. But I can say based on actual experience down in Austin it's only very slightly worst then Ku reception. But your posts make it out like you get any type of 'nasty' weather and you have an outage which isn't the case based on MY actual experience.
Austin seldom sees truly nasty weather. Nasty is what shows up in the tornado belt in the form of 10-12 hour long thunderstorms and almost daily during hurricane season in Florida. That and any place that regularly gets sloppy snow or freezing rain.

Any of the Ka dishes (AT-9=Sidecar, AU-9=Slimline) are considerably more tedious to peak than a non-Ka capable DBS dish. In a situation where you're mobile, it is even more interesting.

Actually, I think its more a matter of experience vs expectations. I always at least pull in SD on my RV (even with a lousy LOS).

Longest I've ever spent to peak a dish is maybe 10 minutes - this really isn't rocket science you know.

Longest I've ever spent to peak a dish is maybe 10 minutes - this really isn't rocket science you know.
It is important to establish the proper expectations if HD is the goal. It isn't rocket science, but it can take a while -- that's why I used the term "tedious". Just about anyone can set up a Phase III using the hash marks on the mount. The Ka dishes aren't nearly as forgiving nor are they as "portable".

DirecTV offers HD Locals for most markets. I like that because, for most people, they don't want to bother with off air antennas to get their locals in HD. Also, if you live 30+miles from the local station tower, your HD reception is weak with an off air antenna. Makes it worthwhile to get your locals on DirecTV satellite.
Not true. I live 50-60 miles from the antenna towers and i get the locals with my antenna, no problems. I have a cm4228, cm7777 going thru my dish box. I have had directv and now have dish. My parents have directv with the hd locals and even they will admit that the ota hd locals look better thru my antenna. I have nothing against locals thru sat, but the "weak" statement is not true.

It is important to establish the proper expectations if HD is the goal. It isn't rocket science, but it can take a while -- that's why I used the term "tedious". Just about anyone can set up a Phase III using the hash marks on the mount. The Ka dishes aren't nearly as forgiving nor are they as "portable".

I am an amateur at best. I did 100% of my D* install myself. It took me almost 10 minutes to aim my dish with a $40.00 Radio Shack meter. I am in Wisconsin, lots of rain, snow, and wind up here. NO signal dropouts. Nothing "tedious" for this amateur. All great on HD and SD channels. Some others do their setup with no meter at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)