Locals question

untechie

Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Hi - As my user name indicates, I am able to turn TV on and off and use most of the buttons on my DVR remote. I have a dish 500 which I set up on a tripod when we travel in our motorhome, and I used to get all the channels to which I subscribe, including my Denver locals. I now get the four major networks from Denver when I am out-of-state, but not PBS, WB or UPN. Three calls to Dish Network have resulted in three totally different explanations and no solution. Since I miss PBS while visiting in Nebraska and elsewhere, I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a travelling solution to this issue, or if Spot Beam technology has won and I have lost.

Thanks.

You can get what you want but probably not in the way you want to. You are somewhat fortunate in that Denver is one of the decreasing number of local markets carried CONUS, otherwise for RV purposes you would have San Francisco and Atlanta via NPS. Since you are simply receiving your normal Big 4 channels, no problem with CBS/NBC/FOX/ABC. WB and UPN are included in the Superstation package available to the Denver market and are CONUS. PBS is a problem. The PBS national feed is available via RV waiver. Take a look at www.pbs.org/aboutpbs/aboutpbs_prog_dish3.html and see if that helps. However you would have be wearing your RV hat. That hat will prevent receipt of Denver networks as noted above. If you can live without PBS, pay $5.99 for the Superstation package.

If PBS is essential, set up a separate RV account. You will lose Denver locals, get Atlanta and San Fran (Big 4) but can get WB AND UPN (incl KWGN) and PBS.

Dish doesn't understand because you've RV'd your home account (to the extent of CONUS feeds).

Hi - As my user name indicates, I am able to turn TV on and off and use most of the buttons on my DVR remote. I have a dish 500 which I set up on a tripod when we travel in our motorhome, and I used to get all the channels to which I subscribe, including my Denver locals. I now get the four major networks from Denver when I am out-of-state, but not PBS, WB or UPN. Three calls to Dish Network have resulted in three totally different explanations and no solution. Since I miss PBS while visiting in Nebraska and elsewhere, I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a travelling solution to this issue, or if Spot Beam technology has won and I have lost.

Thanks.

Last edited:
No such thing

There is no such thing as the WB or UPN. There hasn't be for over 2 yrs now. They merged into the the CW. KWGN is the the CW from Denver. Right now don't see it being carried on 110 in SD. It is available in the superstation package off 119. There is a national feed of PBS off 119 but not you local PBS (get that waiver). All the rest of the LIL for Denver is spotbeamed from 110 so if you 100miles away from Denver it will disappear. Just not enough signal to get it outside of the the 100 mile circle in general.

There is no such thing as the WB or UPN. There hasn't be for over 2 yrs now. They merged into the the CW. KWGN is the the CW from Denver. Right now don't see it being carried on 110 in SD. It is available in the superstation package off 119. There is a national feed of PBS off 119 but not you local PBS (get that waiver). All the rest of the LIL for Denver is spotbeamed from 110 so if you 100miles away from Denver it will disappear. Just not enough signal to get it outside of the the 100 mile circle in general.

He is probably calling it that because even though it happened 2 years ago, on the dish website for the superstation package, they still list the channels incorrectly as wb,upn:mad:

Could I "move" to a DMA that doesn't have PBS as part of a locals package and also where it's not available OTA to get PBS-X? Then if I "moved" again to a CONUS HD DMA, would the CSR be attentive enough to remove the PBS-X from my programming?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)