Locals, Spotbeams and transponders

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SARAHFAN

Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
just up over the hill
Hey folks

To make a long story short, I have Directv for the past 2 years with just a 18 inch basic dish. Where I am located (not important) have had no locals. Lets just say it`s a unique situation.

I am now a bit outside of my local channels (not important where) but today I set up a second dish just to see if perhaps I could get locals.The 2nd dish is also a basic 18 inch dish both dishes have 1 LNB with 2 out puts on each.

Just as an experiment (too much time on my hands) I found sat 119, now I am getting transponders 22,23,26,27,28,30,31 and 32 all at a minimum of 93 % signal strength.

From my understanding I am only missing transponders 24,25 and 29, with my luck probably the 3 that I need... LOL

does the very styrong signals I get mean that I should be able to get my locals that I am a bit outside of the area? more than a bit outside of the area actually.

Any way to find out what channels are on these particular transponders?

Does the SPOT BEAM no how far away I am from him :) ? Or is it just as simple as the signal and where your account is supposed to be?

I have also learned that I will not be able to download the channel info until I get a proper 4 by 4 switch, so I do not want to order 1 until I think there is a chance it will actually give me locals.

No I am not in a position to just get a triple multi dish etc, have no need for it, because I have a variety of single dishes, I also would have to buy my own.

So does the fact that I have good strong signals over 93 on 8 transponders mean I should be good? And again is there a way I can find out the exact channels on those transponders?

Does the spot beam no how far away I am? If I am authorized for a certain spot beam, and the signal is in the 90`s, shouldn`t that be ok? Even though I am outside of the area.

Thanks if anybody can help...I can get music channels in the 800`s on 119 just hooked up straight to receiver.

First of all, :welcome to Satelliteguys!

The answer to most of your questions is yes, but without knowing your location, we can't give you good answers. How about a zip code?

To answer one of your question, no, the spotbeam has no idea where you are. The spotbeams are just situated geographically over the region they are intended to serve; but as long as your receiver is authorized to receive the programming, as long as you are actually in the beam's footprint, you're good. I can say this for a fact as I live in SE Illinois, but am "moved" to Indianapolis for their locals, and receive them just fine, both SD & HD.

I know you say your location is not important, but it sort of is to answering your questions. You don't have to worry here, no one cares if you're "moved" or in Cuba or something. As long as you're not committing theft of service, I don't think anyone here will come down on you too hard.

Thanks guys! Yes I am in Ontario, I originally started my account in Texas about 2 years ago, so I had only Texas locals, meaning no locals. Now I actually managed to move from Texas to Michigan hoping I could now get locals.

Never been to Texas, I was in Detroit once about 20 years ago. So my physical address is in Ontario, actually North of Toronto, but as the crow flies, maybe about the same distance as Toronto from Michigan.

So yes I have min 93 % signal strength on 7 of 8 transponders, transponder 31 is only 80% but the rest are above 93, 3 at 96 and 1 at 98, only missing24,25 and 29

So I am hoping that I can get locals when I get I guess a 4x4 switch.

Yers I am a paying customer of dtv they deduct my credit card Visa every month. I have my own account and can do most things accept move, but after about 2 weeks of back and forth by email, a really nice lady said she had all the info she needed and changed my address via email, activated the new info. My old Texas locals that I never could get are no longer there. I could never get them, but I could turn to them to receive...not available in your area.

Now I understand I cant download the new channel info until I have 101 and 119 together with switch.

So the fact that I can get those 8 out of 11 transponders with good signal might be promising? Yes I am authorized for Mich locals, it is a spot beam.

Now is there away to find out all channels on the transponders that I do get???

Thanks

hope I did not say too much

Don't worry about giving away too much, no one can tell who you are or really cares much. Are you near Burk's Falls? If so, you are probably simply too far from the spot beam to get the Detroit locals. How about Buffalo? It's much closer than Detroit. There are maps linked at the top of the page, but unfortunately Buffalo isn't one of them.

I've driven from Toronto to Sarnia :) - and if you're that far north of the GTA, like Raoul said you may just be too far into the Great White North. In any case, those spot beam maps are a good resource - I think there's one for the Rochester, NY spot beam - that may be a hope. But once you find some suspects, for you to figure out what locals are on what satellite, you can look here:

DIRECTV Local Channels and RSNs

And then you can reference the master transponder spreadsheet in this thread:

DIRECTV Transponder Map: New Data 12/08/2010 - DBSTalk.Com

And then start checking signal levels - since you only have standard def equipment and SD-capable dishes, you only need to be looking at 101 and 119 - ignore anything about 99 and 103 - those are Ka-band sats you can't see with your dishes.

Happy hunting!

Thanks guys, I hear what you are saying, but the fact that the transponders all but 24,25 and 29 are all really strong. Now if the locals I need are on 24,25 and 29, then I am screwed.

No I am nowhere near Burkes Falls.

Yes I will try and get the maps at DBS Talks. I actually followed links to there from Googl;e, but links are hidden to people that have zero posts. Looks like a good site so I will register there.

Thanks, I will probably just go ahead and get a 4x4 dtv switch and then there will be no doubt.

24, 25 & 29 are spotbeams. Checking info they are for local areas no where near Buffalo or Detroit area

Rochester, NY locals are on 119 TP31
Buffalo locals are 119 TP23

so if you get good signal on one of those you can get those locals in SD

Thanks ICEMAN :)

So ya the only transponders that I do not get are no where near Michigan, so I should be good then, thanks.

will any SW44 switch work with Directv? THANKS :)

Also realise you should be able to receive NY or LA locals (the big 4 networks, anyway) as they are CONUS and available on 101 if you come up empty on your spot beam search.

Thanks fopr everybodies help! I just learned to my disappointment that the transponder I needed was one of the 3 I did not have, that being transponder 29.

I was hoisted by my own petard, I could have picked Buffalo and been fine probably, but I picked a odd area in Michigan.

So we move again in the new year, the company is transfering me to the WNY area, Buffalo. At that time I make darn sure I have the proper spot in Buffalo.

I get 93% strength on the Buffalo transponder.

NO, an SW44 is proprietary to DISH, NOT DirecTV. (not to mention costly!)
You need either a DirecTV 4x4 or 4x8 switch, like these: (depending on how many receiver feeds you need)

Amazon.com: Zinwell SAM - 4402-3A DirecTV 4x4 Multi-Switch: Electronics

Amazon.com: W-neweb Corp (Wnc) Directv Approved 4x8 Multiswitch (Swa-48): Electronics

This is the one I just ordered for 28 bucks

If it`s the wrong one I will send it back, payed with Paypal, guaranteed to be fr Directv.. I mean no offense but I think you are possibly mistaken? I for sure stand corrected if that`s the case.

SW44 4X4 FOR DIRECTV SATELLITE MULTI-SWITCH MULTISWITCH on eBay.ca (item 390114380094 end time 29-Dec-10 07:32:23 EST)

This site says they both use the same
http://www.satellite-connection-systems.com/Multiswitches.html

Last edited:
I dont know why they call that a SW44 as that is a Dish proprietary name they used for old equipment (Bell uses the same thing)

This is a true 4x4 multiswitch. this is what I use to use on my D* setup until I got HD (and a SWM setup)
link to item

UPDATE my soap opera

After foolishly choosing a bad address in Michigan less than a month ago, today I moved to Buffalo, and I get locals thank you very much.

Also this is fact! The SW44 works perfectly with Directv, so do NOT let anybody else tell you differently!

I payed 28 bucks for it, but shipping was included, so it really was not all that bad price wise.

Thanks for the help, I could have saved myself a lot of stress had I moved straight to Buffalo, skipping Michigan, but that`s life:D

Hey guys, I have a question that goes along with this. I am very much a rookie at this so I don't know a lot about how it works. I live in Charlotte, NC and it looks like my HD locals are on 99W. I want to "move" and from what I've seen it looks like Richmond, VA or Columbia, SC may be options for me. Is that correct or am I wrong? What transponders would I need to look at on signal strength and how high would it need to be for it to work?

Thanks for the help!

Just guessing, but you can likely get locals from either city. Richmond was on 99 t24, I'm not sure if that's current or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)