Locals via E* == no OTA?

tee

Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Folks,

I received an email from E* saying my local HD stations are available from satellite and that I need to call them to get them activated. If I call them and have them start sending me the HD locals, will they disable the OTA tuner in my 622?

The reason I ask is I can record two sat channels and still watch an OTA channel or I can record 1 sat and 1 OTA and watch another sat channel. If they disable my OTA tuner, I will only be able to tune into sat delivered stations. That decreases the unit's functionality.

If they do not disable the OTA tuner, how do they integrate 2 sets of HD locals - one from them and one from the OTA tuner?

We all know about signal loss during bad weather and that is when I really, really want my locals. This is big reason why I prefer my locals coming from the OTA tuner. This way, when the receiver looses the signal, I still know when that tornado is coming.

I'm in Huntsville, AL, and from what I have read, I have to get a wing dish to point at 61.5 to get these new channels. So that's more bling on the pole outside.

Since I already get my local HDs just fine with the OTA tuner, I'm not seeing any compelling reason to have E* provide me my locals. Am I missing something? Is there a good reason why E* should dish out my locals? The only possible positive I can see from this is maybe the wing dish would give me more satellite channels in addition to the HD locals.

Does anyone have any insight to this?

They will not disable OTA Locals you will just have more channels in your guide.you will then be able to record from OTA and from the Sat signal

You won't lose your OTA locals. They charge you $5 for the sat locals, so if your happy with OTA why get them.

No they will not disable the 622 OTA tuner. There are two treasons to get both OTa and DISH locals. one is that you will then have the ability to record up to three local stations simultaneously instead of one. the second is that by subscribing to locals you get guide data for not only the channels also supplied by DISH but also the subchannels and possibly even channels from nearby DMAs.

Like Geronimo says - it's worth getting your HD locals via Satellite to go with your OTA locals. You'll be able to record 3 HD network shows at once - something we do often.

Your OTA recording capabilities will NOT be disabled.

If you have SD locals, and a dish pointed at the sat that has the HD locals, why do you need to call them. I never did they just come in when you select the HD channel

You won't lose your OTA locals. They charge you $5 for the sat locals, so if your happy with OTA why get them.

If you get SD locals already, they won't charge any extra to get the HD versions. Besides the guide data is worth the $5 if not already subscibing to sat locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)