Locals ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Eluxman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Maryland
Here's my question I had E* & got the locals ABC,CBS,NBC,Fox then the leaves came on the trees :( I cut down 2 trees & only got 1/2 of what I was getting before had the techs come out & tried moving the dish & no luck they said I have to switch to D* to get service so they let me out of my contract & I switched to D*
this is a vacation home in VA 23395 in the woods on a small lot.

I had my locals with E* no locals with D* the tech called & got FOX & PBS that's costing me an extra $1.50 each with news out of New York & he said
I might have to wait 45 days for some wavier to get ABC,CBS NBC & I guess they will cost an extra $1.50 each also if I'm Lucky enough to get it

Does this all sound right to you ?? :confused:

I've read in other post if I call D* & tell them I moved my service but not really to my home zip 21085 in MD I would get my locals from Baltimore is that right ? there's no land line connected to my dish.

Also I tried to hook up a antenna no luck can you suggest a really good antenna that maybe I could get locals ? I have a lot of trees & some are tall pines.

Thanks for any help

The cost per channel is right when you are getting national versions due to waivers or automatic granting.

As for moving, its real easy to do but the key comes down to how far away is your location to the DMA. If its within a few hundred miles, you should be able to get SD locals. The HD ones are bit closeer to the DMA as the spotbeam is tighter. Just make sure you have at least the 3 LNB dish for SD versions as some markets are on sat 119 and not the primary of 101 for the single LNB dish.

Location to DMA is about 150 miles I'm lost about the 3 LNB dish ?? how can I tell ? do I call D* & tell them I moved my service to my home Zip & just cross my fingers ?

The good news is Baltimore DMA is on 101 so you dont need to worry about the 3 LNB. You can tell BTW by the size/shape of the dish and the eyes looking at it. If you see 3 eyes looking at an oval dish, its the 3 LNB.

So here is all you have to do. Call and say you are moving to that Baltimore address. Say all the equipment is in place. You can keep billing the same if you wish. You more then likely will loose the NY locals. Make sure when they flip the address, you check the locals and receiver. Thats it. By nice, you can do it with the first CSR to answer and dont give any more info other then moving, equipment in place, keep billing same, and check to see if channels show. Good luck.

So sorry about this long post. I am re-signing up for directv and the install is set for friday. I live in La Crosse, WI dtv provides locals however they just are not in HD. When I had dtv before I had no problems "moving" to an address in Madison Market. Its a difference of ~60 miles. The Madison market has HD Locals mine does not. Its not really a concern since I have a OTA antenna. But fox in my area is not broadcasting in HD. :( Do you think I should be ok to "move" to the new address to get the Madison HD over DTV? Next, how soon is too soon to "move"?

And someone correct me if I am wrong but I still would be able to MAP my OTA with the HD DVR. Correct? This way I can still get my local news channels in HD. I would then have the best of both worlds.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
So sorry about this long post. I am re-signing up for directv and the install is set for friday. I live in La Crosse, WI dtv provides locals however they just are not in HD. When I had dtv before I had no problems "moving" to an address in Madison Market. Its a difference of ~60 miles. The Madison market has HD Locals mine does not. Its not really a concern since I have a OTA antenna. But fox in my area is not broadcasting in HD. :( Do you think I should be ok to "move" to the new address to get the Madison HD over DTV? Next, how soon is too soon to "move"?

And someone correct me if I am wrong but I still would be able to MAP my OTA with the HD DVR. Correct? This way I can still get my local news channels in HD. I would then have the best of both worlds.

Thanks in advance.

First level CSR's dont really care or question the address change. Just dont give any more information then just saying you moved and equipment is all in place. 60 miles for the HD is very doable.

To back Charper, you can have the "moved" locals as well as your OTA locals. Just when configuring your box, define the zip for the dish alignment at the "moved" zip and the OTA at the physical location. Both will then know how to get the channels after the address change occurs on Directv's end. Its really straight forward. Of course I am assuming you have the 5 LNB dish.

So here is all you have to do. Call and say you are moving to that Baltimore address. Say all the equipment is in place. You can keep billing the same if you wish. You more then likely will loose the NY locals. Make sure when they flip the address, you check the locals and receiver. Thats it. By nice, you can do it with the first CSR to answer and dont give any more info other then moving, equipment in place, keep billing same, and check to see if channels show. Good luck.

So here goes I'm getting ready to call D* & tell them I moved my equipment to my other address but not really & my question is do I have to reset my receivers or go into setup & change the zip code & if so what are the steps is there anyway they'll know ? I dont have any phone line hooked up.

Thanks

They will have to reset the receivers remotely. It does it by the security card. You can have them hooked to phone line, doesnt matter. If the reset from Directv's end works and you see the locals you expect to see, then you dont have to adjust anything.

You guys are the best I called & told them I moved my stuff to my Balto address & now when I sit down & watch my news or locals its like I never left home.
Thanks for the great info :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts