Locast sues networks

I realize from another thread I am going against the tide here but I think the Networks will win. Locast is not simply relaying a free OTA signal if that was literally all they were doing the rules show they can do it. As soon as they interrupt the start of a show for donations or in anyway change what is being broadcast I think they lose.. Further there is a huge grey area of transmitting sporting events even if they are from free OTA.
They have an APP and can be used on streaming devices, I don't know distributing someone's content by streaming is allowed non profit or not. That's what all the copyright laws are on places like Youtube.

Yeah good luck with that. Pretty much the "anti-trust" lawsuit is the hail-mary before the company closes up.

The redistribution of signal arguments sound so much like the 'There is no law that states the IRS can collect taxes'. This is all settled stuff and no matter how well dug the 'loophole' is, it is still not legal.

Reactions: Redbullsnation
Actually there is a constitutional amendment against that but alas they got around that
Yeah good luck with that. Pretty much the "anti-trust" lawsuit is the hail-mary before the company closes up.

The redistribution of signal arguments sound so much like the 'There is no law that states the IRS can collect taxes'. This is all settled stuff and no matter how well dug the 'loophole' is, it is still not legal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Sports Fan Coalition NY, the Locast brand owner, is an IRS certified 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

https://www.locast.org/app/uploads/2019/01/IRS-Letter-501c3.pdf

What part of 17 U.S. Code § 111: "(5) the secondary transmission is not made by a cable system but is made by a governmental body, or other nonprofit organization, without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage, and without charge to the recipients of the secondary transmission other than assessments necessary to defray the actual and reasonable costs of maintaining and operating the secondary transmission service." is SFCNY/Locast violating? (emphasis added)

17 U.S. Code § 111 - Limitations on exclusive rights: Secondary transmissions of broadcast programming by cable

Good for them! Hope they are successful, I don't mind companies making a profit, but AD revenue is still a major component of how these TV stations make money and the higher the viewership the more they can charge for advertising. Many people across the country are not able to receive free OTA signals and can't afford other pay TV options.

hope they win the lawsuit against the networks. Low income individuals who don't have access to an acceptable antenna or can't receive a good signal need an option. Locast recently added service in my area(Phoenix) and it allowed me to receive a couple additional channels. The service is a benefit to those who need it, but the quality of the stream is not outstanding by any means and the relentless requests for a monthly donation gets a bit tedious.

hope they win the lawsuit against the networks. Low income individuals who don't have access to an acceptable antenna or can't receive a good signal need an option. Locast recently added service in my area(Phoenix) and it allowed me to receive a couple additional channels. The service is a benefit to those who need it, but the quality of the stream is not outstanding by any means and the relentless requests for a monthly donation gets a bit tedious.
The only reason I would use it for is for idiot blackouts they have during renegotiating the new contracts.

I realize from another thread I am going against the tide here but I think the Networks will win. Locast is not simply relaying a free OTA signal if that was literally all they were doing the rules show they can do it. As soon as they interrupt the start of a show for donations or in anyway change what is being broadcast I think they lose.. Further there is a huge grey area of transmitting sporting events even if they are from free OTA.
They have an APP and can be used on streaming devices, I don't know distributing someone's content by streaming is allowed non profit or not. That's what all the copyright laws are on places like Youtube.
I was using Locast for the first time sunday evening,
We were at a resteraunt and dishanywhere was acting up, so I watch sunday night football via locast.
I have to object to your claim that locast is inserting ads into local braodcast.

What I experienced was...
I opened the app, donation solicitation button on sceeen with guide.
I selected a stream and was shown a donation solicitation video before a streaming session started.
I watched unadulterated stream session for 10-15 minutes.
The streaming session ended and after the session, I was shown another donation solicitation.
I chose to initiate another streaming session and the process repeated.

Locast did not alter the stream in any way.
Locast merely limited duration of streaming sessions and presented donation solicitations before and after the limited duration streaming session.

I expect that if I were to become a donor,
The session limits might be removed and perhaps the donation solicitations would not appear before and after stream sessions.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: NYDutch
I'm glad they are making progress with the legal battle, but Locast is still a problematic proposition. Yes, they need donations to keep operating, but they should not limit access or disrupt viewing to members that don't actively donate each month. Also, they claim that the viewing restrictions will stop 24 hours after a donation is paid, but many have commented that this is not true. Making a donation requires a PayPal account which is not ideal as well.

I'm glad they are making progress with the legal battle, but Locast is still a problematic proposition. Yes, they need donations to keep operating, but they should not limit access or disrupt viewing to members that don't actively donate each month. Also, they claim that the viewing restrictions will stop 24 hours after a donation is paid, but many have commented that this is not true. Making a donation requires a PayPal account which is not ideal as well.

When I started my donations the interruptions stopped within an hour or so. If someone is having an issue with it, they should contact Locast to get it fixed as others have done. You're not required to have a PayPal account to donate...