Lock and Hide VOD Channel 1

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Slaton, Texas
I try to keep VOD Channel 1 locked and hidden on my 722k, but when I got up this morning, Dish had unlocked and unhidden it again and my 7 year old grandson was watching "Percy Jackson and the Olympians".

This is not a bad movie for someone his age, but what if he had picked something R rated?

How are we supposed to police what our children watch if Dish Network keeps overriding our protective measures?

What if he had chosed an R rated movie?

He has been warned not to order any more movies on TV, an will be disciplined if he does no matter what movies they are, but who will deal with Dish Network's involvement?

I have emailed ceo at echostar dot com about this matter, we'll see if they respond.

Last edited:
I can and do lock and hide them but about a week later I look through the guide and they are back.

You can set it up to ask for a password and then it doesn't matter.....
There's the solution. Amazing how simple it is.... Downside of that is that the PIN/password is needed even for free shows, i.e. DishOnline content. I understand why though. They're not free, they cost ZERO dollars. Too bad Dish can't accommodate that.

The issue here is Dish overriding the settings on the receiver as set by the user.

I have locked and hidden VOD channel 1 5 or 6 times and it will be that way for several weeks or several days, but from time to time Dish re-unlocks this channel, either by an update or by simply over-riding user settings.

STOP IT DISH, I DON'T WANT MY 7 YEAR OLD GRANDSON TO ORDER YOUR VOD CHANNELS, SO I LOCK AND HIDE THEM - LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!

We have discovered my grandson actually ordered two VOD channels the very morning I got the new 722k software update, so I owe DISH an extra $14+ dollars this month, now I really hate VOD.

I had it locked out for the very reason that I did not want him getting into it and doing what he was able to do, because Dish overrode my lockouts.

I guess I'm lucky he did not order Jackass!

Last edited:
That post was from May and there has been at least one software update since.

You can now lock these channels, but they come unlocked under certain circumstances.

They "come back" when Dish updates or changes the movies that are available. Until they "fix" this, put a PIN on PPV and anything that costs extra and drop it. The workaround is really, really simple.

How often do you order PPVs or download Dish On Demand stuff ?

I have no problems hiding the vod channels or the pay per view channels and I require a pass word on everything I hide. So even if you could access the pay per views , you wouldn't be able to order them with out the code.

A month or two ago many of us were suffering spurious PPV/VOD charges out of nowhere. My preferred solution: set the PPV credit limit on your account to zero. Problem permanently solved, unless you actually want to waste your money on a PPV or VOD event.

Hide channel # 1 and report back in a week or so. When Dish changes the movies available on channel # 1, it (they) will be un-hidden.

They only unhide on a 722K they stay hidden on a 722 & 922.

Since L667 just came out, don't know if its been fixed or not yet.

I have the same problem and fixed it by creating 'favorite' guide list. I call it 'Normal' and it includes all the channels we normally watch. I don't include and of the VOD channels.

When we press the Guide button, it's on the 'Normal' favorite list. Repeated pressing of the Guide button can cycle thru 'All Channels', 'All Sub', 'HD Only', or 'Normal'. Granted, if my youngest son keeps pressing the guide button eventually he'll hit All Sub or All Channel, but I told him this setting contains all the channels he watches, so just keep it there (or don't tell him how to cycle thru the favorites).

Even when E* updates their movies I don't see VOD channels in my favorite list. Problem solved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)