Lock receiver, i.e. parental control

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Is it possible to assign a PIN that completely locks down my 622 receiver ?? What I want is an option I had on my TWC set-top, that is, you turn on the receiver and the first thing seen is "Enter your PIN...".

I already have PPV and adult channels locked out but in those same menus I can't find an option for what I want.

I do see that I can lock out channels on a per-channel basis. That would work IF there was a "Select All" option. As it is, it looks like I have to select all channels one by one.

Please, no comments about parenting...

Is it possible to assign a PIN that completely locks down my 622 receiver ?? What I want is an option I had on my TWC set-top, that is, you turn on the receiver and the first thing seen is "Enter your PIN...".

I already have PPV and adult channels locked out but in those same menus I can't find an option for what I want.

I do see that I can lock out channels on a per-channel basis. That would work IF there was a "Select All" option. As it is, it looks like I have to select all channels one by one.

..What you wish to do the reciver cannot do..May I suggest you hide the remote control for the tv and receiver..Also, threaten your kids with certain death if they so much as breathe heavily near the tv... As far as parenting is concerned,
you're on your own...

Hide the remote, as suggested, but, in addition, set the mode to lock front panel buttons. That will have the effect of disabling the front panel "Power" button.

Does the TV maybe have a option to set a pin #? I know on others if the VChip is on, when you go to a certain channel all you see is a blank screen asking you for the secret code before you can view the channel.

Does the TV maybe have a option to set a pin #? I know on others if the VChip is on, when you go to a certain channel all you see is a blank screen asking you for the secret code before you can view the channel.

You can lock all channels rated PG or higher via ratings. Select all ratings on ratings lock.

You can also lock any or all channels via Channel Locks.

I might look into that .... so long as we can use the Dish remote to punch in the PIN.

You can also lock any or all channels via Channel Locks.
I'm thinking I'll have to go that route. Do you know if entering the PIN once then unlocks all channels ?? I'd prefer that vs having the enter the PIN on every channel change.

ah, the "joys" of the kids watching tv when told not to (due to grounding or other such stuff), I know it well :rolleyes:

Btw, something I found out about dual tuner recievers like the 622. You have to turn on locks for both tuners Seperately. I had locks set on tuner 1 only to find out later that tuner 2 was left unlocked.

ah, the "joys" of the kids watching tv when told not to (due to grounding or other such stuff), I know it well
We don't have a problem if we're making dinner and in order for the kids to stay out of the kitchen they watch TV, for example. It's like my 4-year old daughter who wants to PAUSE "Max and Ruby" while we eat dinner ! Okay, that's going overboard with TV !
Btw, something I found out about dual tuner recievers like the 622. You have to turn on locks for both tuners Seperately. I had locks set on tuner 1 only to find out later that tuner 2 was left unlocked.
Yes, I discovered this some time ago... After a few trips up and down the stairs verifying that yes, I locked out the adult channels and PPV and yes, I then "locked" the receiver only to check the upstairs TV and those channels are still available. I can understand that they're separate but how 'bout an option "Apply to both TV1 and TV2?" ??

We don't have a problem if we're making dinner and in order for the kids to stay out of the kitchen they watch TV, for example. It's like my 4-year old daughter who wants to PAUSE "Max and Ruby" while we eat dinner ! Okay, that's going overboard with TV !
Yes, I discovered this some time ago... After a few trips up and down the stairs verifying that yes, I locked out the adult channels and PPV and yes, I then "locked" the receiver only to check the upstairs TV and those channels are still available. I can understand that they're separate but how 'bout an option "Apply to both TV1 and TV2?" ??[/]
I had a discussion with my sister in law over the virutes of the word "no"..That talk was about 10 years ago...She said it was tough and I would soon see that for myself.. Turn the clock to the present...Her two kids are screw balls and my son( who gets "no" as a reply when I deem appropriate) is just fine..Moral to the story is ,when you kids want to do something you don't want, tell them "NO" and that's that....Works for me.
I don't need to lock down my tv's.. I just tell him he can't watch and he listens..If not the consequences are severe..I was brough up this way..To defy my parents was unthinkable..

I'm back to my original request now... Locking the receiver with a PIN. Locking on a per channel basis has an absolute brain-dead implementation. I locked ALL channels except my locals as a test. Tuned to ch 110 and it asked for my PIN. Fine, I entered it. Channel Up to 112 and it again asks for my PIN. Fine, I entered it. Channel Down back to ch 110 and it asks for my PIN *again*. When I unlock a channel, it should be on a "session" basis. That is, once a channel is unlocked, it should remain unlocked, until the receiver is powered off.

Have to look at other options....

Only option I can think of is to lock the front panel and keep the remote out of reach.
I do that to my 4 yr. son from time to time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)