Locking S2 with the TT-budget S2-3200

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MotoSAT

Original poster
May 22, 2009
Utah
I'm pointed at Ciel2 (129) and am able to lock S1 transponders fine, but cannot lock S2 transponders. Tried using Symbol rate of 21500 shown on LyngSat with no use. Tried incramenting through many symbol rates in 500 kHz incraments starting from 21500. No use. Try decramenting the same way. No use. Has anyone experienced that same thing? I am using tp 23 as a test, but also used others as a sanity check.

On Ciel2, the 21500 transponders are NOT DVB-S2. They are DVB-S, Turbo FEC 8psk . The TT-3200 does not tune Turbo FEC 8psk modulation, so that's your problem. Probably they are all encrypted , anyway.
:)

Nre revelation

Wow, that was unexpected. I did some searching for a Sharp tuner that received DVB-S1 8PSK with not a lot of luck. Everything is DSS, DVB-S1 QPSK, or DVB-S2 QPSK/8PSK. Who makes the thing?

For an example board, check out the Genpix SkyWalker-1.
It supports:
DVB-S (QPSK)
Turbo-coded QPSK
Turbo-coded 8PSK
Turbo-coded 16QAM
Digicipher II Combo
Digicipher II Split (I/Q)
Digicipher II Offset QPSK
DSS (QPSK)

Supposed to work nice with TSReader as well. I think it would be cool to have support for DCII, but not sure if it is worth it. They are on-sale right now apparently, so might be the time to buy one if you're interested.

I'm thinking about it. :) With a DVB-S2/8PSK board and the Skywalker-1 I would have coverage for just about anything I could hope to get ITC/FTE/ZK anyway.

I have both the skywalker-1 and TT-3200, and find that I use the TT-3200 more often for viewing, but the skywalker-1 with Tsreader more often for examining things and playing around.
:)

gillham wrote about the Genpix unit:

For an example board, check out the Genpix SkyWalker-1.
It supports:
DVB-S (QPSK)
Turbo-coded QPSK
Turbo-coded 8PSK
Turbo-coded 16QAM
Digicipher II Combo
Digicipher II Split (I/Q)
Digicipher II Offset QPSK
DSS (QPSK)

I have to say, I've been reading intensively on the dvb network forum and other sites about this whole computer card thing, and I don't know who these people are communicating with, but it isn't me or any of my species.

The overuse of initials, the ambiguous references and the complete lack of any specific instructions to do anything leaves me wondering how anyone can conclude what any PC card's capabilities are.

I certainly can't tell what the TT3200 could or might be able to do. I really can't understand how gillham can reach his conclusions.

All I get when I go to the geek sites is a headache and a feeling that the geeks in charge are cackling and snorting about how many people they are confusing things for.

The overuse of initials, the ambiguous references and the complete lack of any specific instructions to do anything leaves me wondering how anyone can conclude what any PC card's capabilities are.

I certainly can't tell what the TT3200 could or might be able to do. I really can't understand how gillham can reach his conclusions.

All I get when I go to the geek sites is a headache and a feeling that the geeks in charge are cackling and snorting about how many people they are confusing things for.

Sorry Lone Cloud, I just copied & pasted the manufacturer's statement about the Genpix Skywalker-1. Since someone was asking earlier about Turbo 8PSK specifically and I think that device is a good option.

The TT3200 is a completely different board from the Genpix.

What information are you looking for on the TT3200? We can try to answer specific questions on the various cards. I don't have one, but enough people do that it should be easy to get an empirical answer.

I just want the right combination to use with Linux... still not sure what that combination is tho.

What do you want to get out of a Linux combination? I use plain DVB-S with Linux. I can help you figure you the right combination for you if you list what requirements you have.

I don't know much about DVB-S2 with Linux as I don't have a DVB-S2 PC card yet, but others here do and even without a card I can help explain it a bit.

It would probably be best to start a separate thread on Linux DVB so it can be found easier and we don't hijack this thread any more. Let me start one and anyone can post their specific questions.

EDIT: Here's the new thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-pc-dvb-discussion/176409-linux-faq-about-dvb-s-qpsk-dvb-s2-8psk-pci-pcie-usb-adapters.html

Last edited:
Sorry Lone Cloud, I just copied & pasted the manufacturer's statement about the Genpix Skywalker-1. Since someone was asking earlier about Turbo 8PSK specifically and I think that device is a good option.

The TT3200 is a completely different board from the Genpix.

What information are you looking for on the TT3200? We can try to answer specific questions on the various cards. I don't have one, but enough people do that it should be easy to get an empirical answer.

I just want to know what the board is capable of. There is a lot, I'm sure that I won't want to do - like decrypting stuff, but in my FTA receiver adventures I have learned a good bit by understanding what those receivers can and can't do. I am just trying to "get it" on the tt 3200 and other cards.

Some folks here (including me) have gotten good results fixing some FTA receiver bug by downloading an outdated "hack" file. These of course won't unscramble anything, but it has worked to get rid of problems.

I'm trying to understand and potentially take advantage of the hackers' work on the PCI card side of things. in the same vein If I understand how people are using files, where they are loading them and what they are intended to do, I'll end up with a pretty good grasp of the program .

Right now, I'm getting some 4.2.2 and S-2 stuff with dvbviewer, that's good, of course, but it's hit and miss. I have spent two months reading on the happysat site and all I can really say is that it's something about "plugins"

I'm trying to understand - have people gotten Digicipher or Irderto or Seca. I'm pretty sure they have been getting Dish Network. I don't want to do it myself, in truth I dislike the choices and the business tactics of the big providers.

I just want to get it in the understanding sense. I don't think you can really get everything out of this hobby unless you grasp the big picture. Right now I don't and don't know where to go to to find out.

Thanks again

Most of what you're saying has to do with the software you're running, not the DVB hardware.

I don't know anything about the Windows DVB software except for TSReader, BLSA and the thmover utility for motor control. I don't deal with Windows codecs, I just use VLC to playback files if I need something.

Hopefully some of the guys actually using the TT3200 will chime in on the best Windows software to use with it besides TSReader + VLC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)