Lockups with the new software version

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The latest update from Wilt makes sense for me. At least it might explain some of the lockups I've seen. It might also explain why some people get lockups while others don't, and why lockups may happen every few minutes, and then not happen for days.

So, I guess, the work-around for now is as follows:
1. Don't press the Info button.
2. Don't touch your remote for several minutes after rebooting the STB.

I don't know about this. I get a lockup when I press the Voom button. I have been surfing for several days now by pressing the Info button to access the color coded buttons, which I then use to natigate. I also press Info again to find out what the program is about. No crashes or lockups by doing this. Only the Voom button crashes my unit.

Shelly

shelly said:
I don't know about this. I get a lockup when I press the Voom button. I have been surfing for several days now by pressing the Info button to access the color coded buttons, which I then use to natigate. I also press Info again to find out what the program is about. No crashes or lockups by doing this. Only the Voom button crashes my unit.

Shelly

The voom button seems to be the promary offender for me to. I just scan the channels by hitting the up arrow and I hit info when I want to see what is on. No crashes from that. But when I hit the voom button I crash.

Shelly, the way I understand Wilt's explanation, the Info button might be causing a memory leak (some internal memory area gets overwritten by mistake). This may not cause an immediate lockup, but may result in a lockup later on, e.g. when you press the VOOM button. So, if this theory is correct, by avoiding the Info button (or Info screen), you can reduce your chances of getting lockups.

Thats the way I read it too, the info button creates the conditions for the lockup, but the Voom button is what actually executes the problem. Apparently you can press Voom all you want as long as you stay away from the info button till its fixed.

I wonder if using the VOOM button also triggers the info function in some way? After all, it has to compare program listings to know which are movies, which are in HD, etc.

Actually, from Wilt's description it is not clear whether it is the Info button itself, or the half-screen program description that is causing the memory leak. I suspect, it is the half-screen program description. (And I know that this portion of the program has been changed in the latest version: they added star-rating, year, etc.)

If it is the the half-screen description that should be avoided, note, that the Info button is not the only way of getting there. The OK button pressed while in the Surf Bar or in the PG (highlighting a future program) also brings that half-screen description. I guess, these actions should be avoided too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts