Logitech Harmony 880 Remote and VIP 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I own a Harmony remote but prefer this one: http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html

It is a very quick learner!!!
Hmmm. I have an MX-700 (and an old der SL-9000 for that matter) and I love them. I thought I would get an 880 after recently picking up a new Mits 1080p, send the MX-700 downstairs with the old set, and retire the SL-9000. After reading the reviews, perhaps I'll just create another system/component file and keep right on using the MX-700. I must admit that I do like the look and feel of the 880.

Mine worked the first time. I must have gotten lucky on my device selection :) All I needed to do was add the DVR button to the display.
The biggest issue that I have with the 880 and my 622 is the remote unable to keep up with my button pushes when I am skipping forward (there seems to be some delay). So sometimes I overshoot the place that I'm skipping to and I have to back up. This never seemed to be a problem with the dish remote.

As I said before the Replay and Skip buttons did nothing. I ws not even able to assign thm functions associated with th simiarly named functions that appeared in the software but not on the 622 remote. I had to add them under new names and assign those new commands to the keys.

Then there is no swap button (I use that watching sports) or to view Live TV. Maybe I am missing something but I don't see how I can rely on this remote. It does a passable job on everything but personally I need more available functions for the 622. but I guess others just live w/out these functions---or some of them.

As I said before the Replay and Skip buttons did nothing. I ws not even able to assign thm functions associated with th simiarly named functions that appeared in the software but not on the 622 remote. I had to add them under new names and assign those new commands to the keys.

Then there is no swap button (I use that watching sports) or to view Live TV. Maybe I am missing something but I don't see how I can rely on this remote. It does a passable job on everything but personally I need more available functions for the 622. but I guess others just live w/out these functions---or some of them.

For swap and view Live TV you can do it either of two ways. I prefer the second way.

(1) While watching TV, hit the 'Device" button. Choose "DVR" or whatever your 622 is called. Scroll through the list of buttons for "PIP Swap" and "View" (Which is LiveTV).

or

(2) Open up the Logitech s/w. Choose the "customize buttons" under whatever activity you have set up to turn everything on. For me its "watch TV". Now go all the way to the bottom to the "Custom Label Button" section. In the 1st column you can name a custom button, call it "Swap". Now staying it that row, go over to the column that is the 622. For me its "DVR". Click the drop arrow and find the "PIP Swap" option. Now go down the next row. 1st column name "LiveTV". Go over to the 622 column, click the drop arrow, and find the "view" option.

Click "Done" and update the remote by plugging it in.

Now when you turn on the TV by choosing the activity (Watch TV or whatever you call it), you'll see that those two buttons are now on the remote in the LCD screen.

I did this for the following buttons for the 622:

DVR
PIP
Swap
Search (even though you can use the left arrow next to the "OK" button)
Live TV

You just have to be patient and learn what this remote is capable of before giving up.

Geronimo,

What do you mean by "there is no swap button"? This is a universal remote and sometimes different words are used - perhaps you might want to guess what the "PREV" command means. If you want to use the PIP swap you can use the device mode or remap the PIP commands to the watchTV activity. You have somehow gotten your configuration messed up. None of your complaints correspond to my experience and the experience of others on this and the other forum where you are running a similar thread.

To the other complainer - The 880 is not a "$200" product anymore - it's available all over the internet for between $100 and $129.

Pat:D

Wow you Harmony Remote owners are a defensive bunch!!! I saw no complaints on this thread regarding the price. As stated I own two brands and prefer one over the other. There are other alternatives out there, and they should simply be researched before a purchase.

What do you mean by "another code set"? How will that affect any of the things I mentioned? Just asking. I have apparently gotten bad adice and i am trying to get the advice that is more correct.

When I programmed mine, there were listings under "Dish" and "Echostar." And under those two, there were "ViP622" and "622" and maybe others. I don't remember which I picked and settled upon- I think it was under "Echostar."

My >>| and |<< buttons are set for skip ahead and skip back.

Wow you Harmony Remote owners are a defensive bunch!!! I saw no complaints on this thread regarding the price. As stated I own two brands and prefer one over the other. There are other alternatives out there, and they should simply be researched before a purchase.

Since he already has the harmony people are trying to help him get it working for him

It's like anything else..... different strokes for different folks. Some will like the Harmony and some will prefer something else.

I had the 659 and now the 880. The one thing I will agree on is that the buttons are kind of small for someone with larger hands. I have nails. The buttons on the 659 were better.

Yep, the buttons are a bit small and nails might have a problem. I had several "universal" remotes before, none of which "were." After trying to program a MX-350 for a while off and on, I decided it wasn't worth it and bought the 880. Great move, for me.

I've had my 880 controlling my 622, Panny plasma, HK reciever, and Mac Mini for over a month now, with no problems whatsoever. Skip, rewind, ffwd, etc. were all defined already in the profile I used, I just programmed DVR to the "Enter" key (lower right), and it was good to go.

I have the 622 set up for 2 rooms pretty much all the time, so the PIP options weren't necessary. The "previous" button was pre-assigned for last viewed, so it was pretty much ready as soon as I downloaded it to the remote. I haven't had to learn any commands on from the E* remote.

I love my 880... Even thought I bought it when it was over $200 dollars, I would say it is one of the best investments Ive made to my entertainment center.

I do not remember what the 'default' settings were for the 622, but I do remember I have remapped some of them.

Depending on your setup, you will want to play around with the settings a bit to get it optomized for your viewing habits.

I have remapped some of the keys and added buttons under the 'watch satellite' to control things like the THX and Surround settings on my Pioneer reciever.

Think about how you would like the 'ultimate' remote to function, and then program it to work that way. I guarantee you will be happy.

I had to teach it my DVR key... other than that key and the FORMAT key it was good to go.

Thanks guys for this discussion. To work better with my 622, I went back in and did some custom keys on the H880 to get the DVR/PVR to work as well as added the PIP features on the screen of the remote. Few minutes of time and it was a breeze. I love this remote more each day. Best Christmas gift I'v gotten in a long time.

So now I have flawless performance between my 622 and H880 and it's been THE remote I can take around the house and use hassle free on all my other devices, even the wierd odd named ones.

No problems here, my 880 controls a bunch of devices, including the 360, so far so good. I believe your problem is the way you have the 622 listed, try by changing it to Echostar 622 instead of the Vip 622. And make sure you have the latest version of the Logitech software (7.01).

No problems here, my 880 controls a bunch of devices, including the 360, so far so good. I believe your problem is the way you have the 622 listed, try by changing it to Echostar 622 instead of the Vip 622. And make sure you have the latest version of the Logitech software (7.01).

As i mentioned above all of the versions seem to have the same commands. I tried loading them all.

At this point I either have an oddly acting remote or some problem with the software. Since Logitech customer service does not call me back I have not really been able to get much in the way of reolustion.

At this point I have it working OK for me and i will use it as a backup since the wife cannot use it at all.

Save some $ and get the Harmony 360... I have it and it does everything that the original 622 remote can do. Controls my Denon receiver and all other devices. Only thing I don't care for is the volume sensitivity and the "click" of the arrow buttons for changing channels.

Hey, while we're reviving this topic... what are the speed settings and repeat settings you guys set your harmony remotes for your 622?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts