Logitech Harmony 890

dmag

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Eastern Pennsylvania
A friend of mine is offering to sell me a Logitech Harmony 890 universal remote for a good price.

Before I agree can anybody who has one (or a comparable Logitech), together with a VIP 211, tell me if the two play nice together.

I ride the 211 remote pretty hard, and use just about all the functions, including the DVR option, on the keypad.

I'm generally happy with the set up I have now. So for the deal to work for me the Logitech will need to replicate all the functions of the 211, not just a few.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you guys may be able to provide.

The 890 is an IR/RF remote designed primarily for home theater installations that do not have direct line of sight (e.g. equipment in the closet). To take full advantage of its capabilities you also need RF receiver(s). If you only need the IR capability, then the 890 would be an overkill. You are better of getting a cheaper IR-only Harmony.

Keep in mind, that even though the remote is RF, it is not compatible with Dish RF remotes: it cannot be used as a replacement for Remote 2.

The 890 comes with the RF Extender if you were to buy a new one. The extender is about $100 if you buy it separately or can get one on Ebay for about $70.

I have a Harmony 1000 touch screen and I wish I had bought an 890 instead.

While the 890 does do RF, you do not need to do RF, it works fine as an IR remote. I purchased the 890 (I also have an 880 for another entertainment area) because even though I'm very close to my entertainment area, one device would not work through the door (it was hidden behind the wood door frame.) Using the remote RF feature solved the problem. The remote extender is included with the 890 new and as mentioned sells for about $100 separately.

Jim

The 890 is an IR/RF remote designed primarily for home theater installations that do not have direct line of sight (e.g. equipment in the closet). To take full advantage of its capabilities you also need RF receiver(s). If you only need the IR capability, then the 890 would be an overkill. You are better of getting a cheaper IR-only Harmony.

Keep in mind, that even though the remote is RF, it is not compatible with Dish RF remotes: it cannot be used as a replacement for Remote 2.

The 890 comes with the RF Extender if you were to buy a new one. The extender is about $100 if you buy it separately or can get one on Ebay for about $70.

I have a Harmony 1000 touch screen and I wish I had bought an 890 instead.
Picked up the remote this evening. Brand spank'in new, still in the sealed box, for $175.

My friend tells me he got it at certain brick and morter electronic store's going out of business sale. All the remotes were %50 off.

Considering the extender alone goes for $100, if anybody is thinking about snagging one I would move quick before they sell out.

Picked up the remote this evening. Brand spank'in new, still in the sealed box, for $175.

My friend tells me he got it at certain brick and morter electronic store's going out of business sale. All the remotes were %50 off.

Considering the extender alone goes for $100, if anybody is thinking about snagging one I would move quick before they sell out.

Well, since you can get one from Amazon for $225, that shows the ridiculous mark-up the CC liquidators started with.

They seem to have started with the list price that you would find on the Logitech web site. It's listed at $349.99.

I don't think any retailer would actually try to charge that on a regular basis, at least no retailer that wants to stay in business.

TIP: Shorter skip ahead

Can you program the Harmony remotes to use a shorter skip ahead like 15 seconds instead of 30?

Well, actually you can! ;)
Just learn (in raw mode) a sequence of two clicks: "skip ahead" quickly followed by "skip back" (or two "skip back" commands, if you prefer).
That should do it!

Well, actually you can! ;)
Just learn (in raw mode) a sequence of two clicks: "skip ahead" quickly followed by "skip back" (or two "skip back" commands, if you prefer).
That should do it!

Do you see the skip ahead on the screen before it does the skip back?

I am looking to pick-up a Harmony 880 to replace a Tivo HD remote. Who has the best deal on this remote? I found it online for $129.95 w/free shipping, but I am all up for saving a few more buckazoids, if possible.

Thanks!:hatsoff:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)