LoL, 360 arcade RRoD out of the box.

akodoreign

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Just picked one up for a friend (he has been working around the house for me). Got to go exchange it. Was RRoD right out of the box. WTG MS another crappy design flaw.

Well can't say that I don't bash both sides.

Every product ever made has dead items out of the box.

the design flaw leading to the main RROD issue would not be an out of the box issue, it would be somethign that would happen overtime due to HEAT. My guess is its a bad Power Supply unit, and the 360 itself is fine.

the design flaw leading to the main RROD issue would not be an out of the box issue, it would be somethign that would happen overtime due to HEAT. My guess is its a bad Power Supply unit, and the 360 itself is fine.

Quite possibly , but power supply cost another $100 bucks best to just exchange the whole thing.

I didn't get the manufacturing date off of it, but it did have an HDMI port ( so zephyr board).

Just exchanged it, btw, LOL was trying to get him a Pro unit but no one has any locally, they have a ton of these though.

(before you ask my wife is disabled and collects SSD, I hire this guy to help clean around the house, he is a good friend.)

I wasnt saying you should replace the PSU, just saying that it wasnt the main design flaw causing your issue.. I have had everything from an IPod to a Toaster dead out of the box over the years.

Did you troubleshoot it or just box it up and exchange it?

You realize that a lot of things cause a red ring, and often it's not an entire red ring which helps troubleshoot what the problem is.

Did you troubleshoot it or just box it up and exchange it?

You realize that a lot of things cause a red ring, and often it's not an entire red ring which helps troubleshoot what the problem is.

If you mean did i try changing cables, Swapping power supplies with my elites. Yes. It was just DOA.. exchanged it and new one was fine. Just a crap one out of the box is all.

:cool:

That's the gospel truth. I'm not a Sony-hater by any stretch of the imagination, but I can say that they've been the #1 cuprit in my experiences of "out of box" failures. From CD-players to my first PSX, Sony has been a thorn in my side...yet I still purchase their items from time to time.

Oh well. I know it's a pain for the 360 owners, but I've heard that MS is really good with the exchange program.

1 week later new arcade unit Dirty disk error on all disks. Still covered for exchange at american so I changed it out again today.

LOL, hoping 3rd time on the arcade unit stays alive

Hey guys, have any of you heard the rumor about Microsoft repackaging returned 360's and distributing them and selling them as new? I have heard this a couple times in other forums..dont know if this situation might have been one of those

Hey guys, have any of you heard the rumor about Microsoft repackaging returned 360's and distributing them and selling them as new? I have heard this a couple times in other forums..dont know if this situation might have been one of those

Interesting thought.... something to ponder.

Well My pro now died. Called up MS and waiting on the coffin. Froze up 2 times while my son was playing Thrillville. then next time powered off RRoD.

LOL, not a good month for me for 360s. he he.

BTW did the whole line of trouble shooting with the tech on the phone. Just another dead box.

Interesting thought.... something to ponder.

Exactly, and it would be easy for them to do it too if you think about it. the average gamer (including me) would not think to look at the manufacturing date on a console. If the numbers are true about the 360 having a 16% failure rate, then for every 1000 units sold then 160 need to be repaired trough microsoft, so now they have a revolving inventory of repaired consoles. If you use the 16% deal and we know they have sold well over a million consoles, then it would be logical to think they would have 160,000 repaired consoles just sitting in a warehouse somwhere waiting to be swapped out for the next console needing to be reapired. SO the inventory never dwindles down because for every console they ship out, one comes right back in. Now that failure rate has to drop sometime, so what do they do with the repaired consoles? have any of you seen a retailer selling a 360 marked as a refurb? The only outlet they would really have to sell as refurbed would be Gamestop or EB, and surely those two outlets little demand could be little to help Microsoft dwindle the surplus down. It might be very ture that they have sparked a deal with WalMart, offering them a better price on a large sum of refurbed consoles so WalMart can sell them as new, heck, the console has a 3 year warranty anyways!

Just picked one up for a friend (he has been working around the house for me). Got to go exchange it. Was RRoD right out of the box. WTG MS another crappy design flaw.

Well can't say that I don't bash both sides.

I bought a second Xbox360 for another TV in my house a couple months ago. It was the arcade edition you speak of. Same thing. I got the red ring of death right out of the box. I took it back to Best Buy the next day to change it out. I made the Geek Squad pull it out of the box and test the replacement unit. SAME PROBLEM on the second unit. While waiting for them to test a THIRD unit, there was another guy there turning in the high end edition with the SAME PROBLEM. My third unit worked and I have had no Red Ring of Death problems with it since. The only problem I have had is disc errors when I had it standing up for a while. I get no errors with it lying down. My first Xbox 360, the original premium one with the hard drive has never had a problem, ever. Both units have had their share of wear and tear but I am of the opinion if you get a good unit, it is the best system out there. I love the 360. I just went through some BS getting a second one up that worked.

I ended up buying the $99 20GB hard drive for my arcade edition and have moved our Xbox Live accounts to the memory card for easy switching between Xboxes, depending on where I want to play a game. Only problem with that memory unit is it isn't big enough to transfer some saved games.

Well My pro now died. Called up MS and waiting on the coffin. Froze up 2 times while my son was playing Thrillville. then next time powered off RRoD.

LOL, not a good month for me for 360s. he he.

BTW did the whole line of trouble shooting with the tech on the phone. Just another dead box.

Looks like we have found a lucky winner this month.

Did you do something to them that they are sending you broken units? :D

Looking at the manufacture's date may not help, if MS is indeed doing this. Look at mine. I had a 5/06 date on my console. MS gutted it and returned it w/ a new MB and dvd drive. Serial # and date is the same. What if I decided to switch to PS3. I could sell it, but would need to explain the situation to the buyer. "5/06 date but MS repaired it in 08". Maybe not a big deal now, with the 3yr RRoD warranty in place.

Looks like we have found a lucky winner this month.

Did you do something to them that they are sending you broken units? :D

Maybe its because I backed off bad mouthing PS3? think they are trying to get revenge? lol.

Ah well. Bad things happen in 3s so well *shrug*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)