Long Cable run ??

gsnyder

Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
Have Voom installer coming out this week.Looks like I may have LOS problem on preffered site for setup(lots of trees!!).

Howver I have Clear shot on property.. problem is it is about 225 ft run from reciever.It will be direct with no switches etc..

I thought I could have installer use line amp.He says not sure Voom reciever would work with amp and install that long (200 plus ft)

Installer says he not sure possible,he was checking with Voom.

Any help / input would be great help.

Thanks

gsnyder said:
Have Voom installer coming out this week.Looks like I may have LOS problem on preffered site for setup(lots of trees!!).

Howver I have Clear shot on property.. problem is it is about 225 ft run from reciever.It will be direct with no switches etc..

I thought I could have installer use line amp.He says not sure Voom reciever would work with amp and install that long (200 plus ft)

Installer says he not sure possible,he was checking with Voom.

Any help / input would be great help.

Thanks
Wow, you must have one hell-a of a house..
225 feet? Do you currently have any other satellite service installed working with that distance?

It's not that it can't be made to work, however at that length, an in-line amp may not provide the bump you'll need. You MAY need a separate dual-LNB power supply installed at 125' and that will require an electrical outlet at that location.
Additionally, the installer will need to run dual cables and install a multiswitch for dual voltage to pass that distance from the LNB power supply.
I'll be suprised if VOOM will crack for all that additional expense, but be prepared for possible additional cost to make a 225 run.

If he can make it work with a standard in-line amp, it will work as the amps are all the same for VOOM, DTV and DishN.

When that bigger dish comes out (and Voom installers start swapping customers from the smaller dish pointing only at 61.5 to the elliptical dish) that will use two satellites (at two orbital locations) you would then need a switch which would be more likely to cause more problems.

Stargazer said:
When that bigger dish comes out (and they start swapping people from the smaller dish pointing only at 61.5) that will use two satellites (at two orbital locations) you would then need a switch which would be more likely to cause more problems.
WHAT FACT DO YOU HAVE FOR THAT ADVISE?

YOU MUST HAVE SOME SPECIAL NEW INFO THAT'S VERY TOP SECRET, BECAUSE A SWITCH SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY NEW SET OF PROBLEMS FOR ANYONE WHEN THE NEW BIRD GOES LIVE.

DO YOU HAVE SOME SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE TO SHARE WITH US?
IF YOU DO I WOULD LIKE TO EMAIL YOU DIRECT WITH ANY ADVANCE INFO YOU HAVE IF YOU CAN'T SHARE WITH ALL OF THE FORUM. YOUR LINK DIDN'T PROVIDE ANY TAIL-TELL INFO AS TO YOUR STATEMENT MORE PROBLEMS WILL BE CAUSED.. THROW ME A BONE HERE I CAN GET MY TEETH IN TO.

LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY...

Here is a link to the discussion about the replacement dishes.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=19232

You did not have to place your whole reply in all caps as it indicates you yelling towards me. I do not appreciate your tone towards me either, you could have been a bit more polite.

No, I do not have any special new info that is very top secret, it is in the thread posted above. I assumed that most would have known what I was talking about if they read the forums regularly. If you would have been reading up on this stuff then you would have already known this. I would not have to state things this way if you would not have acted as if I was trying to make stuff up or having to prove everything I said in my post.

When you use switches on longer wire runs you are more likely to experience issues with them vs. longer wire runs without switches. When two orbital slots are received from one dish they use two lnbf's which requires a switch. The bigger dish is required because of the distance of the two orbital slots where the satellites are at.

The second satellite which is the additional one that is going to be used is an FSS satellite which is a lower powered satellite. Sometimes the FSS satellites are closer together which requires the dish to be larger to prevent interference and focus more on the satellite it is pointed at.

Stargazer,

Wow, so sorry to have offended you. I make mistakes sometimes and I get typing and after I'm all done realize my cap locks were on and without any place to change caps, I left it. (I was very careful this time to check first) :eek:

I find it strange that you assume everyone reads all your posts. I'm sorry there are thousands and I can say I've not read them all or anywhere close to a small fraction of them. I've never seen anything as to this switch issue you raised, on any VOOM chats on either this forum or yahoo.
I was very interested in what you were saying and the link wasn't obvious to me as to what point you were making; sorry...

Accept my appologies in my tone, I was not intending to yell at you or put you down. I even closed with "looking forward to your reply". Sorry again for not understanding how to correctly reply to a forum post that I assumed exists for the learning and education of VOOM in general and in specific threads, as this one, by a new person with a concern and question.

As to previous info concerning long runs and multiswitches, I truly am interested to determine the specific problem that has been so many times referred to and I will re-visit the links you have posted, to hopefully learn what problems exist specifically with multi-switches.
My past was installing BUD, DTV, DISH, Primestar and others as well. I do have an understanding of how it works yet your post claimed something almost specfic, yet not clear as to what problems can be caused, beyond obvious ones. Switches will most certainly be required with any dual or multisat system. DTV and DISH both use a switch and what problems do they have? I'm not aware of any. Long runs will always pose a challange to design and install correctly, I'm sure perhaps that was what I should have assumed with all others, especially the complete novice.

Anytime any long run is in design, a professional needs to determine all line and signal loss and develop a proper pathway for the signal. Doesn't matter what the source is, planing and design are critical, as I won't insult your inteligence with that fact.

I will not "challange" you again, as you have obvious knowledge over mine... sorry.

What is the cable distance limit?
How does the distance affect the signal caracteristics?
Will there be a decrease of the signal strenght?
Will there be an increase in SNR?
Or both?
What exactly suffers?

I am planning to rewire my dish for better building entry point (my sat is in the yard) which would increase the lenght of the cable. Wondering what to look out for.

I apologize as well. I did not mean to make you think that I know more than you or anybody. I was saying that it would be more likely to cause problems (meaning that there is a possibility of there being one seeing how there is going to be a switch and will limit the cable distance as a result), not saying that there definitely would be a problem. I do not assume that everyone reads all my posts so I do not know why you would think that. I was just simply trying to state that the chances of there being a problem with a longer wire run increases when you have to connect a switch. Those that may already have a long wire run which may work fine THEN installs a switch later on could find that the wire run is too long to support the switch but ok without one.

I was comparing this to Dish Network seeing how there was more of a limit on the cable distance with the switch, but it was stated that the DishPro lnbf's with switches (DishPro twins) would be able to go further than the legacy ones, to 200 feet. Seeing how there are limits with Dish Network I figured there would also be limits with Voom as well.

Since Voom uses different receivers (and may use a different type of technology to do the switching) the results would probably be different. It could be worse or better than what you could experience with Dish Network that uses switches. If a long distance run is an issue with switches one could run two seperate wires to the receiver then connect the switch there.

Distance does not affect the signal quality like you think it would, it is about the voltage running through the wire and when the cable is ran so far the voltage drops off to the point to where it would cause problems in functioning properly.

Stargazer,
Your last post was excellent info and good for all to know.
You are correct the voltage is the primary problem at 200+ feet. That's why I had suggested in my earlier post, a dual LNB power supply (or powered multiswitch) at 125' MAY be necessary to actually power both 13 & 17 volt switching for the LNB.
That can create a problem of it's own as the power supply needs a 110v outlet and unless this is a high-rise where between floors those conditions exist, however in some residential installations that may not be possible as the excess line-run usually is outside or on a out-building/garage, guest house, whatever.

So all those that may have that 175+ distance, you may want to be prepared for additional cost or consideration of the dish location.

FYI to VADER: In general... RG6 cable has a signal line loss measured in db of 6-7 db for every 100 feet. What that means; if you have a starting signal db of 12 at the dish, you will lose 6-7 db signal at the end of 100' of cable, resulting in a net db of 5-6 db at the STB. That's all GOOD as the STB will operate at a 0 db. You cannot "see" any performance loss, it does not affect the picture quality from the dish to the receiver, but it will have an effect of a lower S/N as measured for signal "head-room", which is helpful during rain-fade conditions. An in-line amp MAY increase the db by up to 6-10 db but again has nothing to do with picture quality and will not increase the important voltage needed to power the LNB switching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts