Long Distance Networks Going Away

ROFCIBC

Original poster
Apr 28, 2020
Louisiana
Just got this post card from DirecTV.

LDS Cancellation (web).jpg

I have an RV with DirecTV. Part of my package dating back many years (late 90s) was something called "Long Distance Networks". Had NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX feeds from New York and Los Angeles. No matter where I was I picked up these networks with no muss, no fuss, no nuttin'. They were a part of my programming package, at a cost of $3.50 a month. I also had them in my home system, in lieu of the local (Shreverport, LA) networks.

Apparently they are "going away" which means I will no longer be able to get the major networks as I travel away from my home, which is what an RV is for.

I spoke with the DirecTV rep and she said there was just no way I can receive the major networks outside my local area.

So, does anybody know if Dish offers network reception away from the "home" location?

As far as I know, DISH no longer offers distant network reception, although maybe there is something available for RV owners. I had waivers from my local network affiliates and have been receiving ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX out of LA in addition to my local feeds. Surprised since STELAR was not renewed this now voids the waivers I filed. If my local networks don't object, don't see why I can't access the out-of-market channels. Very disappointing.

As far as I know, DISH no longer offers distant network reception, although maybe there is something available for RV owners. I had waivers from my local network affiliates and have been receiving ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX out of LA in addition to my local feeds. Surprised since STELAR was not renewed this now voids the waivers I filed. If my local networks don't object, don't see why I can't access the out-of-market channels. Very disappointing.

I'm DirecTV living fulltime in an RV. I had heard Dish discontinued this for RVs as the hassle was too much for them.

Lets face it the FCC is doing anything to undermine the regular person....Its just par for the course...One decision at a time....Are direct TV viewers better off, or saving money with ownership by ATT?....Has net-neutrality helped anyone here?

I expect the worst!

Why do you need those networks anyway? They don't offer anything different aside from local news. You can still watch those for free online. cbsnewyork.com, fox5ny.com, nbcnewyork.com, abc7ny.com

This is part Congress's fault, but mostly AT&T and the Networks. Basically back in December Congress let certain parts of the STELAR law that allowed DNS service to "sunset". This meant that grandfathered customers, etc. lost their DNS service at the end of May of this year. Dish and DirecTV could still continue to offer DNS service to RV'ers, tailgaters, etc. if they offered local channels to every market by May 31st. Otherwise they lost the right to carry them under the statutory license STELAR provided.

AT&T hasn't made any real effort to carry the missing markets so far, so they lose the ability to offer DNS unless they can negotiate an arrangement/fee with the networks themselves outside of STELAR. Based on the letter they sent to Congress last week it doesn't appear the networks aren't interested in that.

Why do you need those networks anyway? They don't offer anything different aside from local news. You can still watch those for free online. cbsnewyork.com, fox5ny.com, nbcnewyork.com, abc7ny.com

They were useful for many reasons. If you travel it guaranteed you network covered anywhere you went on the same channels so your DVR recordings weren't affected. I live in a market where the local channels constantly run tickers for weather and interrupt programming for "Flash Flood" warnings, etc. so it was nice to have stable network channels to record from. The biggest benefit is DNS was never affected by disputes though. If there ever was a dispute involving one of the major stations (the last one I can recall was WCBS last year) DirecTV could simply substitute another station. In that case we got WUSA out of Washington for a few weeks.

Dish Network no longer carries them because they are precluded by court order from doing so (due to flagrant violations in the past) CBS Broadcasting v. EchoStar: The Satellite Home Viewer Act and Satellite Retransmission of Distant Network Signals The provisions in the STELAR reauthorization for 2019 were pretty much squarely aimed at DirecTV, who basically said "ok, then we just won't carry them and we'll blame it all on Congress."

Dish Network no longer carries them because they are precluded by court order from doing so (due to flagrant violations in the past) CBS Broadcasting v. EchoStar: The Satellite Home Viewer Act and Satellite Retransmission of Distant Network Signals The provisions in the STELAR reauthorization for 2019 were pretty much squarely aimed at DirecTV, who basically said "ok, then we just won't carry them and we'll blame it all on Congress."

Dish Network became eligible to offer DNS again when they began providing local coverage to all the DMA markets several iterations of the law ago. The latest revision of STELAR in December of 2019 extended that right to them permanently, and to DirecTV if they added all markets by May 31st (which they're not going to meet). Dish does have DNS service available in HD with it being the West Coast Stations from LA only. They don't publicize it, but if you have an "Outdoors" RV account and ask for the forms they will provide them. I talked with them about it a year or so ago, but passed because of the "west coast only" thing.

Wait, I thought RV’ers could continue to get them with an RV waiver?

The new law passed last December said to be able to continue to offer them DirecTV had to offer locals in all markets by June 1st or negotiate a separate, private deal with the networks themselves outside of the statutory provisions of STELAR. Basically they're admitting they're not going to do it, which is why we're all getting these notices.

Dish Network became eligible to offer DNS again when they began providing local coverage to all the DMA markets several iterations of the law ago. The latest revision of STELAR in December of 2019 extended that right to them permanently, and to DirecTV if they added all markets by May 31st (which they're not going to meet). Dish does have DNS service available in HD with it being the West Coast Stations from LA only. They don't publicize it, but if you have an "Outdoors" RV account and ask for the forms they will provide them. I talked with them about it a year or so ago, but passed because of the "west coast only" thing.

I thought Dish was banned from offering distant networks when they once again tried to skirt around the law when they partnered up with All American Direct?

If I’m not mistaken didn’t Dish lease them a transponder on 119 so they could offer distant networks through a 3rd party provider.

But seriously, I have given up on distant networks years ago. If your within 500 miles you can get them on spot beam. Anywhere else, a simple small antenna will usually pick up most networks

I thought Dish was banned from offering distant networks when they once again tried to skirt around the law when they partnered up with All American Direct?

If I’m not mistaken didn’t Dish lease them a transponder on 119 so they could offer distant networks through a 3rd party provider.

But seriously, I have given up on distant networks years ago. If your within 500 miles you can get them on spot beam. Anywhere else, a simple small antenna will usually pick up most networks

Case 1:98-cv-02651-WPD Document 1190
Entered on FLSD Docket 11/01/2010 Page 1 of 2
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA
CASE NO. 98-2651-CIV-DIMITROULEAS
CBS BROADCASTING INC., et al.,
Plaintiffs,
vs.
ECHOSTAR COMMUNICATIONS CORP., et al.,
Defendants.
_____________________________________/
ORDER GRANTING MOTION FOR RECOGNITION AS A QUALIFIED CARRIER
AND WAIVER OF THIS COURT’S OCTOBER 20, 2006 INJUNCTION
THIS CAUSE is before the Court upon DISH Network Corporation’s (“DISH”) Motion
for Recognition as a Qualified Carrier and Waiver of this Court’s October 20, 2006 Injunction
and for Expedited Briefing and Memorandum of Law in Support [DE-1185], filed herein on
October 25, 2010. The Court has carefully considered the Motion, noting that Plaintiffs neither
support nor object to entry by the Court of an order granting the Motion [DE-1187], and is
otherwise fully advised in the premises.
Accordingly, it is ORDERED AND ADJUDGED as follows:
DISH Network Corporation’s Motion for Recognition as a Qualified Carrier and
Waiver of this Court’s October 20, 2006 Injunction and for Expedited Briefing
and Memorandum of Law in Support [DE-1185] is hereby GRANTED;
The Court recognizes DISH as a qualified carrier, pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §
119(g)(3);
The Court grants DISH a waiver of the Court’s October 20, 2006 Injunction [DE-
1020], pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 119(g)(1).
Case 1:98-cv-02651-WPD Document 1190
Entered on FLSD Docket 11/01/2010 Page 2 of 2
DONE AND ORDERED in Chambers at Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida this
29th day of October, 2010.
Copies furnished to:
Counsel of Record​

Attachments

• 2651-1190-Order-Injunction Lifted.pdf
    129.5 KB · Views: 288
Reactions: harshness

We live fulltime in an RV and travel the country. Right now we are in a place where we can't get local OTA and the 3g/4g speed is less than optimal for streaming. Not everybody lives in areas that can get television stations or has high speed broadband which is why this law was originally passed.

We live fulltime in an RV and travel the country. Right now we are in a place where we can't get local OTA and the 3g/4g speed is less than optimal for streaming. Not everybody lives in areas that can get television stations or has high speed broadband which is why this law was originally passed.
The law also served over the road truckers...

Reactions: Jimbo

Well they do offer a lot of things. For example my rollin' condo and me are at Texas Motor Speedway for the NASCAR weekend. But Formula One is running at COTA in Austin, on the same weekend and is carried by ABC. So I set the 'lo DirecTV up to record that race, and after I watch the NASCAR race from my seat, I can go back to the rollin' condo and watch the F1 race, previously recorded.

Watching them "free on line" via the internet does not allow me to record them, and internet coverage can be "spotty" at many of the tracks I go to.

When I am "on the road" (25,000 miles a year more or less) once I get out of my local area (takes about 10 minutes) I can't get "local networks". I've had LDN for over 20 years. It also is available in my house system, and I do NOT receive local stations, which is no big deal since I can get them via over the air. The only way I can get networks when I am on the road is if I change my "local address" which is kind of hard since I don't have any other than the one where I actually reside.

I might add there is a "bennie" for the LDS system. If I miss a program on a network, two hours later the same program will be on the West Coast feed.

Bummer!!! There goes my NY and LA feeds, They need to add more than 5 channels recorded at a time then. I have to record west coast feeds sometime when so many things are on during prime time.

I"ve got a similar "problem" that the LDN "fixes". My wife is a BIG Judge Judy fan (CBS). Right now the East Coast feed is being preempted by the daily China Virus briefings. So she just records or watches the West Coast feed and PRESTO! She sees her program and all is right and beautiful in the hogan!