Long Distance

If you are not too close to WBKI Campbellsville, I recommend the following: 91XG (Antennas Direct 91XG UHF Antenna (91XG) | 91XG [Antennas Direct] | 91XG 91-XG 91 XG 91 GX xg91) for UHF; YA-1713 (Winegard YA-1713 Yagi TV Antenna Reception Aerial ProStar 1000 10 Element Off-Air VHF BroadBand Ch. 7-13 High Definition Signal Outdoor Local Cahnnel, BLUE ZONE, Part # YA1713 | With Coax Cable: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV) for VHF-Hi (ch 7-13); and the 7777 Pre-amp (7777 Channel Master Pre-Amp from Warren Electronics).

If you are too close to WBKI, it will overload the 7777 Pre-amp. To get exact distances for all of the stations, use AntennaWeb and enter your street address. Just above and to the left of the Submit button, you will see "+ options" for additional options. Click on it and enter 300 for Height. You will see all stations, their distances and compass heading.

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to add. If you aim the antenna at Louisville, you won't get Lexington and vice versa. You would need an antenna rotor to aim at each city.

After analog shut-down, WHAS-DT moves to channel 11 and WBNA-DT stays on channel 8. One way to get some Louisville and Lexington stations at the same time is to aim the YA-1013 at Louisville for channels 8 & 11, and then aim the 91XG at Lexington to pick up all Lexington stations except WDKY.

I have an antenna in my attic about 60 miles from Kansas City and pick up all but the PBS channel, so antennas and attics do mix.

I really wish there was a way to get ota over 100 miles, but don't think it's possible. I'm smack dab in the center of Missouri, so we don't get any Kansas City or St. Louis stations. We do have a few in Jeff City and Columbia, but not many... no ota fox. We got fta satellite mainly just to get fox.

We are about 100 miles from KC and 150 from St. Louis.

The key issue isn't so much overall antenna size...but elevation. In SE Ohio I've seen plenty of antennas jacked up to 75 - 90 feet in height. The biggest obstacle is clearing over rolling hills you may have between your home and the particular television tower that you're trying to pull in

The key issue isn't so much overall antenna size...but elevation. In SE Ohio I've seen plenty of antennas jacked up to 75 - 90 feet in height. The biggest obstacle is clearing over rolling hills you may have between your home and the particular television tower that you're trying to pull in

I am 75 miles out from my transmission antennas on top of Mt Wilson in Los Angeles. (luckily they put their transmittors up really high)

true.. elevation always helps, if you get an antenna high enough, you can get around any mountain! This is pretty easy to do. I installed my antenna on the highest point of my house, and mounted on a mast 10' above that.

But not every one can have a 90' tower. If multipath and/or weak signal is a factor, you need to combat that as well.

I've heard that parabolics are supposed to be good defense against mulitpath, and are high gain >20dB's . But when I found out how big they were to be better than what I had (winegard HD9095) I had to reconsider my options.

I thought I had a problem with multipath or just not enough gain from the antenna... it was solved with using a different receiver, that I guess was better at handling it. But if that didn't work, I was gonna look at different antennas (ie parabolic) and/or stacking. putting up a 80' tower wasn't an option for me ... neither was putting up a heavy antenna.....

So I was glad that mine ended up working ok.

Last edited: