Long/Lat Result

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Dispointer gives me a different lattitude for my area compared to Google Maps. The difference is 5 points but enough to throw off the receiver/usuals by a few degrees.

Question is, who's right?

Cheers, K

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
That's really ODD. Both of them give the exact coordinates for the street out in front of my property, and I then just drag the arrow right on top of wherever I'm planning to place a dish.

I'm talking about the Dishpointer on the web. Are you talking about the app loaded on your mobile? If so, I'll bet there's something wrong with your mobile's sensors.

ftageekyyc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
My comments below are also about Dishpointer on the web as I have held off purchasing the iOS app until I see an update.

I get a single significant figure difference in latitude when I put my Calgary postal code into Dishpointer.com versus Google Maps - xx.9670 versus xx.96701.

A handheld device will not give the same accuracy.

As an aside, I notice they have updated the imagery in Google Maps for my location.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Over a year Ive mentioned USUALS was usually off by a few degrees (using S10). Today I used Dishpointer's figures (lat different by 5). Almost perfectly scanned 61w to 125w.
Looks like google and satbeams were wrong.

Cheers, K

ftageekyyc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Strange,

If I put my home postal code into Google Earth 7.0.3.8542 I get xx.966982, if I type my postal code into Satbeams I get xx.9669897 and if I drill down in Satbeams on the footprint page I get xx.97.

It should all be Google data, don't understand why you would be seeing a noticeably different result from different apps.

5 degrees is pretty extreme.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Over a year Ive mentioned USUALS was usually off by a few degrees (using S10). Today I used Dishpointer's figures (lat different by 5). Almost perfectly scanned 61w to 125w.
Looks like google and satbeams were wrong.

Cheers, K
I'm glad you've got it working!

vdtkps

Dec 12, 2013
Kaunas, Lithuania
Hello everybody :)

Dishpointer is big help and this forum i great.
Years ago I was using not only the first page:
dishpointer.com/
but also the next one:
dishpointer.com/satellites/
with all satellites available at my location 54n, 24e,
including an estimation of their EIRP.

Unfortunately for some time I get data only for 0n, 0e location.
If I put my coordinates on the first page, I don't find a way to move
to the dishpointer.com/satellites/. And if I go straight there,
I cannot change this 0-0 location.

Is there any work-around there?

Thank you in advance.

jorgek

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 11, 2013
Near Toronto
Dishpointer uses google maps. I have also used Bing maps and Flash Earth. All 3 produce the exact same co ordinates for my location.

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Dispointer gives me a different lattitude for my area compared to Google Maps. The difference is 5 points but enough to throw off the receiver/usuals by a few degrees.

Question is, who's right?
The maps are one and the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts