Long overdue Tuneup and one mystery solved...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
in a way none of us here would expect or recommend.
This is a long read, grab some coffee, or...tell me to "just do your fixes" and not bother everyone.....

The dish farm at the radio station apartment for FTA contains quite a mix of dishes, see the picture attached.
For the LONGEST time, I've fought and fought trying to get the left stationary birdview to play nicely with the rest. I've got an 8-place Amiko diseqc selecting any of a possible 8 feeds. 1 and 2 from the c/ku on the movable Birdview; number 3 (the trouble child) being the stationary (left) Birdview, then 4 is the cozi dish between them, 5 is my 125 PBS, and 6-8 are reserved for 72w NBC, and a spare line.

I've written before about how a "ghost" of the very strong 101 appeared any time I tried to use the stationary Birdview dish. Never could get the actual left birdview signal through the diseqc. It was as if the #3 feed from the left dish didn't exist at all, but rather just played the strongest of the inputs from the movable one. Whatever it was parked-on at the time.

Today I solved that problem. I took a small monitor, and my spare microHD receiver out in the Renegade to directly connect to the stationary Birdview. With a 2-amp setting on an automotive jumpstart box, I was able to power the motor manually and hone in nicely on 103 west for networks, but upon hooking up to the diseqc which feeds to the apartment, issues arose including pixelation, or no signal at all. The same thing happened when I aimed the same dish it at the very strong 99 west. The odd thing was, this dish has new RG-6 last fall, new connectors, and obviously a known good LNB... and only about 25 feet to the main junction box with the diseqc, (mounted below the motorized birdview.)

With signal very strong when directly connected to the test microHD, ...I did the unthinkable. I took the new in package 50 cent garage sale satellite inline signal amp, and put it on that line only, at the input to the diseqc. After that, signal became crystal from the stationary dish became clear in the apartment, no pixelation. Putting the amp on that line only means we're not amplifying every LNB's signal, just that troubled one. I also learned that that signal hunting is best done first without the amp, then add the amplifier it as needed. If the amp is inline during signal tweaking, adjustments make NO sense and are not easy to pinpoint.

So, now the movable Birdview Will do most of the heavy lifting (needs a new Titanium positioner unit...V-box stutters and stops then restarts frequently. ) and we have diseqcs doing their jobs on 5 inputs quite nicely from 4 dishes. Tomorrow, with good weather, I'll continue and try to align the remaining dedicated dishes....
5) Ku dish for 72 west NBC (if feed are still active)
6) Ku diwh fo r87 west LPB if possible (same notation)
7) might stay "unused" and be changed to a C-band fixed on 99 next weekend or sooner...have one in mind.

I read many write-ups here about not using line amps before trying this today, then thought, "why not try!" Granted, it will pull a small bit of current, but it did solve the problem. Total cable run for me is around 100-150 feet depending on the particular dish, with the diseqc inline. Will dig deeper in to the cause of the signal loss later, but..at least the band aid is on the system.

Next weekend will be hopefully getting a Winegard dish from a friend, probably an 8 or 10 footer? with an edge bent from a forklift...I think it can be gently pulled back into shape, and will make a nice fixed dish for 99 or 101,and another house in town has a 6 foot dish on their junk pile with only minor panel repair needed I'm going to try to grab for the same purpose. I'd like my regular satellites which I use to be on fixed dishes, and the "occasional" ones to watch on the motorized birdview.

When I was playing with the left Birdview, for a time, I put a combination C/Ku in place and was able to pick up the beach cams, and some other channels with good quality, but on the MicroHD was unable to input or scan the Cozi signal properly, but there is hope...if I reinstall a combination LNB, I can free up that fixed Ku dish now aimed at Cozi for some more fun. Either the scanning on the MicroHD didn't work properly (frequencies didn't look right) or...even the new signal is rather elusive. I thought a 70 percent quality on both the C and Ku was pretty nice on 103! To do that, I had to use a 22khz switch, but it worked fine on the test box.

It's nice to be back working on these projects.....can't wait to do more....SPRING has arrived!
Might follow up as we change-to or add different dishes...and as we align the DTN ones on the right.
I think putting a small 6 footer and another C-band in may be best, seems most of the "action" these days is on C-Band.

Hope this wasn't too boring...been a long time since I posted anything here except asking for help!

Attachments

• 20160417_152358.jpg
    20160417_152358.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 246
  • 20160417_173243.jpg
    20160417_173243.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 250
  • 20160417_173309.jpg
    20160417_173309.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 225
  • DISH FARM WION.jpg
    DISH FARM WION.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 251
Thats a nice setup you got there Jim!

And I am still envious of all the TV stations you could get OTA :)
(I'd find use for all 3 of my Tivos with the OTA setup I'd do ) ;)

Thanks! Funny, isn't it...when we think we've learned enough to design and run our systems, there's always some new "way" to fix the odd situations
that show up! Always learning! Friends think I'm nuts and say, "get cable" or "Get dish!"....but I enjoy this....and with Over the air, per your observation, and free to air, add netflix and amazon, my bill is very small, considering the radio station needs internet anyway!

Thanks for posting your experience Jim.
I don't mind reading long informative posts. :)
Yep, you just can't beat a Titanium ASC1 positioner. Their face don't turn red, like they are constipated when you try to move a dish with them. :)

[QUOTE="radio, post: 3876963, member: 90781]"Friends think I'm nuts and say, "get cable" or "Get dish!"....but I enjoy this....and with Over the air, per your observation, and free to air, add netflix and amazon, my bill is very small, considering the radio station needs internet anyway![/QUOTE]
If I had the option there like you do (the land to put up that many dishes) I would be OTA & FTA only too. Just the subs in that area would be awesome
Comet
Bounce
Laff
Cozi
AntennaTV
ThisTV
Create
PBS Encore
MHZ Worldview
GetTV
Grit
MeTV
RetroTV
plus the Ion muz and TCT mux....and thats just one of your markets (Grand Rapids)

Flint would give you WXNation (and some repeats..Comet, Antenna, Create, Me)

Lansing adds Justice Network to the bunch (and a 2nd WXnation)

Heck wouldnt even need FTA for the diginets :)

Agreed, my friend. But, anything I can get FTA sure blows away the picture delivered locally! Why IS it that stations cannot control their quality anymore in luminance, color, "tint" and the like? MASH run on locals looks so dark and awful, on the dish it looks nice! (for example.) ....but yes, the variety here is excellent, and I have to rescan my TabloTV two tuner box quite frequently as the channels which were either weather radar repeats or nonexistent are becoming much more viable and interesting.

Could it be that the LNBF is weak output. Producing only 30db gain vs a 'normal' 60 - 65db or
the #3 DiSEqC port is lossy, at IF freq, but passes DC OK?

I suppose it could be! Never really thought about that...I'd vote for the LNB issue first, we've tried multiple diseqcs with the same result until today..

It might also be possible that the inline amp may be affecting the port input by filtering or isolating.

With a multiple dish system, also check for proper grounding and bonding. Switches often go crazy with voltage potentials.

Does the switch issue happen if the LNB is swapped?

If dishes are swapped between the switch ports, does the issue follow the port or the dish?

Anything is possible. You have to remember that at any given time, there's +4 volts on any piece of metal around here....which is why we had to modify the way in which the mover works. Most satguys "poo poo'd" what we did, but we had to step UP the voltage running to the sensor, a rotary converter, and use a comparable R.C. unit, because when there's 4 volts on any line at any time from our transmitters, the difference of (logic's) +5 and "0" (on and off) is insufficient to be sensed, and is not like it would be anywhere else. So, out of my failing Vbox, the pulses are fed through an external box to the mover. We don't have to modify the motor voltage, only the way in which the sensor talks to the inside hardware, since everything here is an antenna. There were people who didn't see how this was possible, but all I can say is, "live at a radio station" and watch it happen. In any case, that's the example of how ANYTHING is possible here! I have not tried putting a grounding block in place of the amp, all I know is this WORKED, and I'm happy! (but I will be playing now that warm weather is here with all of the array....and will keep the story going!)

Given that it doesn't matter WHAT switch we use and the problem persists, I'd rule out the switch completely. Probably didn't need to buy the extras I have in the drawer, but nice to have spares!

Thanks for the input and posting!

Jim, is each dish grounded separately with a ground rod? Is there a grounding counterpoise for your AM transmitter close to your dishes? Just thinking you might be close to one of them with one of your grounds... which might cause extra RF currents.
Interesting how this works so close to a high power transmitter, with potential RF at each connection. I have had fun here with transmitters at 1890, 3750KHz and 10.151MHz but these are relatively low power and only intermittent. Sometimes random switching components around, cables, etc (trial and error) can come up with results that eventually lead you to the right direction to go in the problem solving flow chart.
If you are ordering an ASC1 you'll have to get Brian to add a couple new LNBFs to the shipment so you have a different one to try and a spare. :)

Good points, and good practice on the grounding. We could, indeed ground each hookup, the poles are all "in ground" ....except...the trouble one...is an original Birdview tripod used on demo trailers, installed on a pad...hmm...never thought about that difference on that particular dish....it has no motor wires, only the RG-6, so that may take us back to "grounding" that line where the line amp is now...per Brian. I hope to order a new positioner as soon as I empty more "stuff" from my collection in the back room via Ebay, Craigslist, and on satguys, can't wait to have a positioner that really WILL drive a birdview without saying "oomph...I can't move all the way without stopping"....

I'm so happy to have gotten out and worked on this yesterday...it was REFRESHING to play "problem solver" on the system. Can't wait to add two more C-band dishes in and then leave the motorized birdview for signal hunting only.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Still have nice stable picture on the West (left) fixed dish...but on some feeds, with the amp in place (like ION) the quality is in single digits but still locking! I'm thinking that I need to tweak to these channels, as the PBS seems much stronger, and probably some small rotational or other adjustment will equalize my signals on the fixed dish. Surprised that the low Q signals (good signal) are locking...but they are. More tweaking tomorrow....if weather and work duties allow, can't wait to get out, tune this one, and try to re-add 87ku and 72 ku....or if just one, probably the 87....I like the feeds on 72, especially when news or weather is carried but need to keep one input at least for hopefully that extra C-band this week.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts