long rg-6 run and signal strength

I've heard that 200' runs are MAX.

If yours is close to that, then the voltage drop from the long run may be causing the LNB not to have enough power. It can cause complete failure to intermittent behavior.

Note that that 200' number applies to DishPro - Legacy is 125'.

BOTH numbers are for under optimal conditions, although I have heard of people getting reasonable results with slightly longer runs. YMMV

Using RG-11 or LMR-400 cable instead of RG-6 can increase the usable distance by quite a bit - but those types of cable are expensive - it's usually much more cost-effective to just move the dish.

a little more info: 119 TP12= 112 110 TP12= 100. the video is choppy on certain channels but not all. i am using a 16x9 tv in stretch mode. when i go back to 4x3 the "skipping" is much less noticeable.

I have used 200-300 feet connected to a legacy lnbf without a switch or booster. I used the Dish Network RG-6 wire rated for 2200 MHZ.

Your Signal Strength Is Not the Cause

gvsurn said:
will a poor siganl from a long RG-6 run show up as lower signal strength in the "point dish" menu???

gvsurn said:
a little more info: 119 TP12= 112 110 TP12= 100. the video is choppy on certain channels but not all. i am using a 16x9 tv in stretch mode. when i go back to 4x3 the "skipping" is much less noticeable.

Long runs of RG6 will show up as a lower signal strength which does not affect picture quality of digital signals unless it's so low into the intrinsic noise that the demodulator cannot decode the incoming signal from the LNBF and/or the error correction stage cannot keep the bit error rate very low. Your signal strength quoted herein is fine so the problem is caused by something else.

With digital satellite the signal (picture) does not degrade gracefully and generally it displays what the broadcaster intended or you get a totally unacceptable picture (signal loss message, frozen frames, etc.). A long RG6 run that attenuates the signal causes the system to be more susceptible to rain fade.

You might want to try the HDTV forum and just state the problem you are experiencing complete with salient features of you system. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)