Longest time with a non permanant mount?

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I am going on 5 years in the San Diego area this spring and ever since I left Texas, I haven't had my dish (1000.2 and even a 1000.4 EA) permanantly mounted. It has been zip tied to a baker's rack, screwed onto a wooden fence post, and now mounted onto a 4 x 4 set in a 2-1/2 gal bucket of concrete on my side patio. I've had dish since the beginning (back in the 20th century) and always permanantly mounted it until moving here this time.

Just wondering who else might be ready to move their dish at a moment's notice?

Miner

I wonder why Dish doesn't just use temp pads for an option for people who don't want holes in there roof or a pole they have to deal with. I know it's more susceptible to coming out of alignment but really no more than a crappy install.

I wonder why Dish doesn't just use temp pads for an option for people who don't want holes in there roof or a pole they have to deal with. I know it's more susceptible to coming out of alignment but really no more than a crappy install.

That is pretty much why I have mine in a bucket. My house is Stucco, not soffits and a tile roof, and in an HOA. When I moved into the house, I could have mounted the dish (after the necessary paperwork, etc) onto the stucco, but in the interest in time, just threw it into the bucket of concrete on the side yard. It has been almost 3 years now. Every once in a while we bump it and lose alignment, but I'm reasonably ok with the setup. I'd love to mount it higher and out of the way, but too many other projects in my life right now.

Miner

not everyone has a flat roof to do this

DSCF3434.JPG

This is one of my favorite pictures and was not my doing.

Here is an example of my work
IMAG0076.jpg

I've seen non-pens that have been sitting in place for so long you would have to dig them out of the grass with a shovel. There's one not too far from me that is sitting on a non-pen with struts in somebody's flower bed that has probably been there for 5 years. Pretty sure the homeowner actually mulches over it. It's pretty well obscured but once you see it you can't take your eyes off of it. It's in a subdivision with a fair amount of dish customers, next time I'm in the area I'll snap a quick picture of it. As far as I'm concerned it's just a really low pole mount.

I have seen non-pen mounts for pitched roofs, but personally I would rather have some holes in my roof as opposed to a bunch of cinder blocks and a ugly non-pen mount.

As an installer you are not allowed to use non-pens on any roof that isn't flat. The customer can purchase a chimney mount to secure a pole or you can drill into the roof and be done with it.

Never seen one in person on a Direct/Dish install, but around here the Hughesnet gas station installs with pitched roofs use them. seems all the Hughesnet commercial installs (used for the lottery) use non pen mounts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)