LongHornXP NEW HD on D Thread!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
ATSC is a broadcasting (digital) format. MPEG-2 is a compression method. They are not directly related. ATSC has MPEG-2 as one of its main compression method.

I think what LonghornXP meant was that instead of recompressing 45Mbps streams down to whatever they've been using by DirecTV, they will just pass whatever the local stations are sending (which, except for Fox-HD, is recompressed in the local stations to ATSC-compatible < ~19 Mbps streams).

This actually makes sense and there is no other way actually since local programmings and commercials are inserted by the local stations before being sent out.

Hong.

hongcho said:
ATSC is a broadcasting (digital) format. MPEG-2 is a compression method. They are not directly related. ATSC has MPEG-2 as one of its main compression method.

I think what LonghornXP meant was that instead of recompressing 45Mbps streams down to whatever they've been using by DirecTV, they will just pass whatever the local stations are sending (which, except for Fox-HD, is recompressed in the local stations to ATSC-compatible < ~19 Mbps streams).

This actually makes sense and there is no other way actually since local programmings and commercials are inserted by the local stations before being sent out.

Hong.

I talked to my contact tonight and asked him this question and here is what he told me.

DirecTV will be taking the HD feed directly from each local station and will just be hosting the channel on their satellite. DirecTV is requesting that the local stations give them the ATSC feed and this is what they are planning to do.

This means that you will get the exact same feed and quality with exactly the same bits from DirecTV as you would get from your local station via OTA antenna.

So if your local NBC station shows two sub channels with the third being the HDTV channel and the HD channel is a 15Mbps ATSC channel than DirecTVs local HD feed will also consist of two sub channels with the HD feed also being a 15Mbps ATSC channel.

So again I'm trying to tell you all that DirecTV is going to do is pass through unchanged exactly what you would see OTA from your local stations.

OK, I just signed up in May when I got my Hr10-250, if I change my programming to get the free 6 months, does that cost me a downgrade fee or anything?

We will be getting the reminents of this storm this weekend up here in Southern Indiana.

I hope that everyone on the Gulf coast will be okay!! Yall are in my prayers!

Yup it doesn't look good for Florida. Even if we in Tampa don't get hit directly if it hits another part of Florida all of Florida still hurts either way. It doesn't look good for other states either. It also has a chance to hit Texas for cryin out loud and I never thought this could even have a remote chance of happening.

I feel for all those that will get hurt by this storm.

I'm glad all of my family is 250 miles inland in East and North Central Texas.

Neutron said:
I'm glad all of my family is 250 miles inland in East and North Central Texas.

I have some family in Corpus Christi (I would have one more, but he's in Iraq), but I haven't heard anything about Texas getting bad...yet!

Here however is a different story as even though Ivan isn't quite on a direct path anymore, officials are still predicting very high winds... higher than Francine in fact, and there are still (well, I know they were the other day) without power due to downed limbs and some major damage to houses in the area and Francine wasn't as powerful as they expect Ivan to be once it gets here!!

Also, on a related note, there is another tropical storm (or depression) in the ocean. Haven't heard much about it yet as it's too soon to tell where it's going, but things might not be over with yet...

~Alan

This has been a bad year for hurricanes. From what I'm seeing now it's on a direct path for the Mobile, AL area. If it continues in it's path by the time it's a depression it will be near me.

Neutron said:
This has been a bad year for hurricanes. From what I'm seeing now it's on a direct path for the Mobile, AL area. If it continues in it's path by the time it's a depression it will be near me.

My prayers are with you & think about New Orleans & surrounding area...alot of below sea-level........ :(

It should be just like a normal thunderstorm by the time it gets here thankgoodness. Thank you so much for your prayers! The people in New Orleans will be hit the worst I think.

hey just to add to this, I am praying for yall as well, I live in ohio so I have no idea what its like but I hope you guys make it through this unscratched, and wil let us know how everything turns out!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)