Look what I found......

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chadzx11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
memphis
They want me to catch this service call. Dude called in this morning, and threatened to cancel E* if he didn't get a free service call. Well, He wasn't home tonight, but I wouldn't have fixed it if he was. He's scheduled for tommorrow, so he can cool his jets until I feel like dealing with this piece of garbage (not the customer, the system).

Picture2.jpg

Nice install. Wonder who did it? I'd lay odds on a self install.........Why would a pro do one right but not the other? Judging from the name on the wo and the programming, he's a french speaking african, so I wonder if this is how they do it on the dark continent.

Picture3.jpg

Close up of the piece of trash. I have 2 videos of this dish dancing, but they are off my phone, which makes a .3gp file. If anybody knows how to make that viewable....gimmie the low down, and I will post them. I do know that they work in iTunes, but I filmed them sideways, so I need to figure out how to rotate them.

Picture1.jpg

This is his neighbor. DNSC did this trash. I know because NONE of our local contractors springs for the I adapter. That is straight up DNSC. It is a vinyl rail. How is that a good idea?

wied said:
To be able to play the video files from your phone just rename them to .mp4 and windows media player should play them.

Actually you have to convert the file to a .mp4. Even then the file looks like crap. Look here for the download http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,034-63,00.html

This is the program I use to convert my Treo 650 vids to .mp4. Catch is to get the program you have to pretend to be a developer and join the Nokia forum and then you are eligble to get the download.

Chadzx11, I feel your pain dude. Not sure if venting on this forum is going to help. But it is nice to illustrate how an install should NOT happen.

And as Paradox alluded to, the "dark continent" comment may not be well received on here.

So you hold the customer responsible for some one else install this is exactly what is wrong American workers.Just go out and do the best job possible for the customer he might even give you a big thank you I realize that doesn't mean any thing now days.

""" he's a french speaking african, so I wonder if this is how they do it on the dark continent."""

Oh well dark continent- so where exactly did you come from? or were you here before columbus?

Why is everbody on here trying to be racist?

Africa, the Dark Continent. A romantic name for an unknown and underexplored region of the world to the Europeans of the 19th century.

If you search the internet, you can find nitetime satellite images showing just how undeveloped-----and dark, africa is. Its not a skin color thing. Who is the redneck now?

I made contact with the customer last night, and was able to get him up and running:

Pic6.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures, but It was dark out.

pic5.jpg

Interestingly, the complaint was stemming from a second reciever THAT HE INSTALLED HIMSELF. I'm being totally serious here------he forgot to hook it up to the LNB. The 501 that was hooked up was pulling a signal of like 122 off that dish, which astonished me. The customer was thrilled when I asked it was OK to replace that pole (I didn't have to charge him, b/c I rescued a pole off the scrap heap over by the maintenance shed. Had a D* azel clamp still on it. They also had a E* Auger pole. I hate those things.).

The customer had been planning to move the dish himself, so he gave me a pole that he was planning to use. However, it was the wrong size and way too flimsy for me. That one went on the scrap heap. :D

After I got the dish moved and set back up, I went inside and lit up his 311, got my paperwork signed, gave him my number in case of problems, and he hit me with a tip. He was very pleased. It seems that he was having signal loss issues with his pole mount (I have never seen that style of mounting before), and he who installed the wing dish did nothing about it, other than swap out his LNB with a DPP Twin. Oh, the other installer? He didn't have any screws securing either LNB, which makes it even more amazing that the guy had a signal at all, let alone a 122.

If you want to see some crappy---or ingenious---installs, head to your nearest apartment complex. Not the expensive ones either, because they will have more stringent rules. Hell, the housing authorities around here have more stringent rules than some of these private apartment complexes.

Last edited:
yellowcanary73 said:
So you hold the customer responsible for some one else install this is exactly what is wrong American workers.Just go out and do the best job possible for the customer he might even give you a big thank you I realize that doesn't mean any thing now days.

I'll grant you that the installer of the must carry should have fixed the other dish, but that doesn't make him responsible for what the customer did in the first place.

The question is, why should I, or any other installer be responsible for what the customer does? If he has a 322 and replaces the TV on the second tuner, can't get it to work, and somebody has to go set up a TV that is completely different (from the one in the home at the time of the install), our company blames the original installer, or last man on the job, and charges him back (even though the customer pay for service calls). How is that our fault? No, the problem with American workers is big companies using any BS excuse to get out of paying a fair wage,

mikethedishguy said:
After I looked at the images figured that you would do what you did. Not that tough of a fix. I have had to fix many of thee kind of installs. Interesting how they wave in the breeze.

Really? Thats the first one I've ever seen on a fence post like that. I didn't want to do it at first, because I only had one pole, which I need for a 3 room apartment today. 3 room installs pay more than fixing self installs. :devil:

Anyway, now I know where to look when I need a free pole in a hurry. I have never seen an apartment complex with a scrap heap before.

aamert said:
""" he's a french speaking african, so I wonder if this is how they do it on the dark continent."""

Oh well dark continent- so where exactly did you come from? or were you here before columbus?

"The Dark Continent" is not a racial reference at all, but actually a reference to Africa formerly being a land of mystery. http://www.bartleby.com/61/96/D0029600.html. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (an african-themed amusement park) used to bear "The Dark Continent" as its slogan up until recently.

chadzx11 said:
They want me to catch this service call. Dude called in this morning, and threatened to cancel E* if he didn't get a free service call. Well, He wasn't home tonight, but I wouldn't have fixed it if he was. He's scheduled for tommorrow, so he can cool his jets until I feel like dealing with this piece of garbage (not the customer, the system).

Picture2.jpg

Nice install. Wonder who did it? I'd lay odds on a self install.........Why would a pro do one right but not the other? Judging from the name on the wo and the programming, he's a french speaking african, so I wonder if this is how they do it on the dark continent.

Picture3.jpg

Close up of the piece of trash. I have 2 videos of this dish dancing, but they are off my phone, which makes a .3gp file. If anybody knows how to make that viewable....gimmie the low down, and I will post them. I do know that they work in iTunes, but I filmed them sideways, so I need to figure out how to rotate them.

Picture1.jpg

This is his neighbor. DNSC did this trash. I know because NONE of our local contractors springs for the I adapter. That is straight up DNSC. It is a vinyl rail. How is that a good idea?

the vinyl rail deal is a spec violation..Any DNSC tech that does this will be written up....note...the DNSC regional manager here is strictly a numbers guy.his primary(and only interest it seems) is completion rate...He told us that apartment installs are not going to be QC'd..However if we do a non spec install like this one, we are responsible for any trouble calls(non pay service visits) to fix them...So we do not do non permanent dish locations..To get out of the job we cite appartment restrictions....It's not that we don't want to do them, it's that we don't want to have a crummy job that will eventuallly cost us $$ to fix it for free....The cust self install issue is another matter..When I get on site and see a cust self screw up . I do what I can to get their sig back and that is all..I call dispatch and put detailed notes on the account....I would not waste my time re doing this crap job because DN will not pay for the work..My advice..get it working and leave ....

yellowcanary73 said:
Good poinrt..But I look at it his way..If I'm not going to be fairly comepensated for my efforts, materials and time then it's a non starter..I am in business to make money ..fixing this job would be a $$ loser...
There's much more to this than meets your eye....First ,this is obviously an MDU..To reinstall and do this job correctly would require an LOP dform the mamagement company or owner of the complex. That right there in most cases stops us in our tracks...Next, fixing this would require a good bit of time..Most likely that time and effort would NOT be compensated.....If you enjoy doing "pro bono" work, fine..I don't and I will not....Pay me and I will do whatever it takes to get the job done correctly..Otherwise, no dough, no go....
Thank yous don't make my mortgage payments..

Work that like wouldn't affect my completion ratio, but we'd all see it in the team meetings displayed for everyone to see. The pic with the mount tie wrapped balcony was mostly likely done with customer approval. Some landlords dont want penetration by cable, lag bolts, etc. If I get the customer to sign off on this type of install, I might be able to get away with this. Mostly likely though, I'd use a bucket mount, ie bucket cement with a pole in it, and flat cable to get into the apartment.

chadzx11 said:
Why is everbody on here trying to be racist?
If you search the internet, you can find nitetime satellite images showing just how undeveloped-----and dark, africa is. Its not a skin color thing. Who is the redneck now?
chadzx11 said:
Don't worry Chad, some of us non politically correct members understood what you meant. I find it interesting how many people can't wait to play the race card, just so they feel good .

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)