Looking at getting Dish Network

kidscoach3

Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Hey guys, nebee here. I'm looking at getting Dish Network and have a local outfit offering a pretty good deal. They'll hook me up with a 4 room system and DVR for two rooms and the top 120 for $42.00 plus $5.00 for an extra receiver (2 receivers for 4 rooms). I was told that all 4 tv's would have digital dolby capability, but looking at the receivers I don't see how that's possible. My main room is with a 51" Pioneer Elite and dolby digital surround system. The DVR will go there and I also want it to go to my sons room with a basic stereo TV. The family room a 32" TV and Dolby surround so I definitely want stereo to there and it will be tied in with my daughters room upstairs. That's the only room that stereo isn't important. Is this set up possible? I'm also concerned about signing up now and then 4 or 5 months down the road upgrading my big screen to a plasma with HD. The sales person said I would have to purchase an HD reciever when I did that, but if I did it now I would get the HD receiver free but would have to pay the HD monthly fee even though I couldn't receive any HD channels. Can this be done without having an HD set? They offer it free for 6 months. They also want an 18 month commitment for the whole setup and I mentioned that I've heard of paying a $49.95 charge and not having to make a monthly commitment. How does that work or is that possible? I just hate being locked into something I may not like. The sales person seems very inflexible on this. I would like at least a 30 day money back guarantee. Anyway, I've been on Comcast Cable here in Portland and haven't had any problems, but I can save a little money by going to dish. Is it worth it and is there enough of a difference? Thanks for any help.

Well I don't see how 4 room dolby digital is possible at all and the only way to get dolby in two of those rooms is if you got a pair of DVRs and that would bring up the price quote a bit. In order to do what you want here's the kind of setup you're looking at:

Pair of Dish DVR 522/625 units. The box itself would be in each of the rooms that you want to have Dolby sound in. And the fees would go up accordingly. The fees I'm going to quote you are presuming that you will have both units plugged into phone lines to avoid the monthly $4.98 fee apiece for not having them plugged in:

America's Top 120 with locals: $42.99 a month
Additional box fee: $5.00
DVR fees: $9.98
Total (before taxes): $57.97

Nsa has it spot on. Also here's another thing. The DVR fee's would be waived if you subscribe to AEP which would be $20 more.
On the subject of HD you might wanna wait with the VOOM issue going on. I know I'm not going to pay Dish extra for VOOM unless I'm SURE I'll get it in 1080i otherwise Dish won't get my money for VOOM. I'd suggest buying the equipment if you don't wanna be stuck in a contract. Sorry but that's where you're stuck man.
With the HD I'd honestly suggest holding off on big screens for now and buy a CRT HD to tide you over till SED's come out and become affordable. You'll be glad you waited since they're suppose to have the picture quality of a CRT along with the size and flatness of a Plasma and LCD.

kidscoach3 said:
Hey guys, nebee here. I'm looking at getting Dish Network and have a local outfit offering a pretty good deal. They'll hook me up with a 4 room system and DVR for two rooms and the top 120 for $42.00 plus $5.00 for an extra receiver (2 receivers for 4 rooms). I was told that all 4 tv's would have digital dolby capability, but looking at the receivers I don't see how that's possible. My main room is with a 51" Pioneer Elite and dolby digital surround system. The DVR will go there and I also want it to go to my sons room with a basic stereo TV. The family room a 32" TV and Dolby surround so I definitely want stereo to there and it will be tied in with my daughters room upstairs. That's the only room that stereo isn't important. Is this set up possible? I'm also concerned about signing up now and then 4 or 5 months down the road upgrading my big screen to a plasma with HD. The sales person said I would have to purchase an HD reciever when I did that, but if I did it now I would get the HD receiver free but would have to pay the HD monthly fee even though I couldn't receive any HD channels. Can this be done without having an HD set? They offer it free for 6 months. They also want an 18 month commitment for the whole setup and I mentioned that I've heard of paying a $49.95 charge and not having to make a monthly commitment. How does that work or is that possible? I just hate being locked into something I may not like. The sales person seems very inflexible on this. I would like at least a 30 day money back guarantee. Anyway, I've been on Comcast Cable here in Portland and haven't had any problems, but I can save a little money by going to dish. Is it worth it and is there enough of a difference? Thanks for any help.

I will send you a Private message about the Club Dish Referral Discount and if anyone else is thinking of going to DISH, please PM me and I will give you a referral code worth $50 off your install.

Thanks.

bookwalk said:
I will send you a Private message about the Club Dish Referral Discount and if anyone else is thinking of going to DISH, please PM me and I will give you a referral code worth $50 off your install.
Thanks.

The $50 deal was the old ClubDISH deal. Under the current deal, new customers only get $25 off. They can get an activation credit with an 18-month commitment with or without a ClubDISH card.

Don't we have a rule here about newbies (anyone with less than 2,500 posts) trolling for Club Dish? :rolleyes:

Anyway, the local guy unfortunately seems to be rather clueless on at least two points - Dolby on the TV2 outputs ad not being able to see the HD channels via 811/411/211 until you have an HD set. You won't be able to see them in HD quality, but you WILL be able to see them. I (a local retailer!) suggest that you tell him you want to talk to someone that actually understands what they are selling. :cool:

From the sound of it, an 811/625(FR & Son)/311(daughter) DHA plan is one way to go - but that's NOT going to give you DVR on the big screen. A 942/625 gives you ALL DVR, and ALL stereo (two Dolby) - but costs $250 up-front.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts