Looking at Getting Dish...

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Looking at getting Dish...

For my mother-in-law.

After looking into her local cable, Direct, and Dish, Dish is the best option for her and the least expensive choice for what she wants

Seriously...

A couple of questions:

Is Dish HD free with the AT 120 package?
Which receiver or DVR would she need to do two TVs (one SD and one HD)?
Are locals included in the AT 120 or does she need the 120+?
What is the DVR fee? Did they change the fee from per DVR to per household?

Also..

I know this is a Dish forum, but I do not want to start another thread in the DirecTV forum for one question.

Does DirecTV offer a comparable package to the AT 120 that is below their Choice Package? I could not find anything on their website

He** must have frozen over, or you really must hate your mother-in-law ;-)

But seriously, the DVR fee is per account like D*. I'd go for a 722K and optionally the OTA module (equivalent to the AM21). That will cover both rooms. Don't know about low end D* packages.

Will your mother-in-law use the DVR functions? Lot of older people I find do not use the DVR functions so if she would not use it I would go with a 222K. With a 222K you can add on the DVR service later. six dollars cheaper using a non DVR. HD for life is with all the top programming packages offered by dish.

He** must have frozen over, or you really must hate your mother-in-law ;-)

But seriously, the DVR fee is per account like D*. I'd go for a 722K and optionally the OTA module (equivalent to the AM21). That will cover both rooms. Don't know about low end D* packages.
She cannot get channels OTA at her place. The 722k does not have a built in OTA tuner, I am assuming? She would then be fine with just the 722k, correct?

Also, the other TV is upstairs and on the other side of the house. It is a long cable run between both TVs. Will the Dish installers run a Coax from her receiver to the other TV or would we have to do it ourselves?

She cannot get channels OTA at her place. The 722k does not have a built in OTA tuner, I am assuming? She would then be fine with just the 722k, correct?

Also, the other TV is upstairs and on the other side of the house. It is a long cable run between both TVs. Will the Dish installers run a Coax from her receiver to the other TV or would we have to do it ourselves?

It doesn't matter how long the coax cable has to be, the installer should still do it for you. As an answer to your question about Directv, they do have family, select and select classic which are all below choice package, however HD would not be free and you would have to call them to order. See Directv fourm for more info.

Right, the 722k doesn't come with an OTA tuner, it is a ($) cost item. If she can't get OTA, don't buy it. That said, I think I would consider a 211 or some such at the 2nd TV and let the 722 just be a dual-tuner HDDVR. It would only add $7/month to the bill and give more flexibility. But that's just me.

It doesn't matter how long the coax cable has to be, the installer should still do it for you. As an answer to your question about Directv, they do have family, select and select classic which are all below choice package, however HD would not be free and you would have to call them to order. See Directv fourm for more info.
I will call them later to see what the prices are. She can bundle DirecTV with her phone and internet to save about $10/month. Even with that Dish may still be a little less expensive.

Either this is some really good weed or am I seeing DodgerKing looking at E*?

Thought D* was the holy grail (for him?) :p

Sorry, I know it was already mentioned, I just had to mention it after seeing DodgerKing's numerous posts in the DISH Network forum about how "horrible" it is :) .

I guess you better start on the D* forum about how much better E* will be for your mother-in-law :p .

Perception does not equal reality. I have never said Dish is horrible. I have never said Direct is the best. I have always said Direct is the best option for me (which it is).

There are some things both companies do that I will criticize; that doesn't make them horrible

I often clarify false info posted by others about Direct in this forum. Doing so may make me appear to be a fanboy. Even if I am does not mean I think Dish is bad.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Is Dish HD free with the AT 120 package?

Depends on your credit score. If it's not perfect or they can't verify it, they'll stick you with SD-only and an installation fee.

Are locals included in the AT 120 or does she need the 120+?

Local over the air channels, yes, local regional sports channels, no (For the RSNs, you'll need at least the 120+ package, if they carry the RSNs in your area- some areas they don't).

HanoverPretzel said:
Depends on your credit score. If it's not perfect or they can't verify it, they'll stick you with SD-only and an installation fee.

Local over the air channels, yes, local regional sports channels, no (For the RSNs, you'll need at least the 120+ package, if they carry the RSNs in your area- some areas they don't).

She doesn't care about RSNs but I may set her up with it anyway for when I am over there

Yeah, I'm just messing around :) . You're not really all that fanboyish from what I can tell, you're certainly not a Bob :p .

She doesn't care about RSNs but I may set her up with it anyway for when I am over there

America's Top 120+ (reg. $49.99/mo.) or Dish Latino Dos (reg $44.99/mo.) would get her RSNs. Of course, the ESPNs are included in AT120 but not in Dish Latino Dos if you are considering what everyone would want (just saying...do not take that in an offensive way). I would compare both just to see what channels she would like. Both qualify for HD for Life, and both would qualify for the promotional $15 off ($20 off for AT 200 and above and $10 off for Dish America HD packages).

Here is a way to compare what each would have:
View attachment DishNetworkComparison.xls

While America's Top 120+ and Dish Latino Dos have different channel lineups, the gains that I have found in Dish Latino Dos are Boomerang, National Geographic Channel, The Hub, AMC, Animal Planet, Bravo, Disney XD, Independent Film Channel (IFC), Si TV, We: Women's Entertainment, mun2, (MTV) Tr3s, and Sirius XM (64 channels). Of course, there are many Spanish channels as well; I am not sure if you are interested in those. I should also mention that Playboy en Espanol is included in the package although I am not sure if you specifically have to ask for it. I think someone said that you do have to do so.

When comparing America's Top 120 and Dish Latino Dos, the gains that I have found in Dish Latino Dos are regional sports networks (RSNs) and Fox Soccer Channel.

Another option that she may like is Encore Movies for $5.00/month a la carte. Although they are all in SD, the channels include: Encore (West), Encore Action, Encore Drama, Encore Love, Encore Mystery, Encore Westerns, and MoviePlex. [Note: Encore (East) SD/HD and Encore WAM are currently not included.] I am thinking that she might possibly like Encore Westerns.

Of course, there is also the Platinum add-on for $10.00 [which she will most likely get free for 3 months], and premiums for higher. However, I doubt she wants an expensive bill.

Best of luck to her and you! :)

Personally, we have Dish Latino Dos and Encore Movie Pack; we had AT 250 at one time. One thing to mention about the Dish Latino packs is that currently not all the channels are mapped down. Some channels are in the same spots as the America's Top channels while some of the SD channels are in the 800 range and while some of the HD channels are in the 5000 range. Thankfully, locals and RSNs are mapped down. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Will your mother-in-law use the DVR functions? Lot of older people I find do not use the DVR functions so if she would not use it I would go with a 222K. With a 222K you can add on the DVR service later. six dollars cheaper using a non DVR. HD for life is with all the top programming packages offered by dish.

Hey, I resemble that remark. My wife and I are both in our early 60's. We couldn't live without the dvr. My wife never could figure out my BUD, but has no problem with our 722. I can't count the times she has called out to "pause it". There are many programs we dvr for later watching. She often goes to bed by 9PM and there are many shows she likes that are on later. Also, with the dvr we can leave the house and come back later. There are times when there are 2 shows on at the same time and we can dvr both. The 722 is a better bet than a 211. More than 1 person in the forum has thanked us for talking him into getting the 722 series rather than a 211 series.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)