Looking at my options to save money

I thought the limit for Dish Pause was 8 months straight?
No. You can select one of the defaults of 3, 6, or 9 months. But, if you need to go longer, you just can and 'renew' it.

Just remember that time on pause does NOT go towards any contract (if you have one) , and any discounts that you've been given will fall off.

Actually when I cancelled my DISH account I kept the Hopper hooked up to the external hard drive and to the satellite and I was still able to access the movies on that external hard drive. I can still today. But I own the receiver of course. If you rent this wouldn't apply.
Yes and no. Of you upgrade to a Hopper from a 722, they'll just leave the old receiver there.

Then just hook up the now deactivated receiver to a TV and use it as a playback device. It doesn't need a satellite connection to access the dvr.

No. You can select one of the defaults of 3, 6, or 9 months. But, if you need to go longer, you just can and 'renew' it.

Just remember that time on pause does NOT go towards any contract (if you have one) , and any discounts that you've been given will fall off.

Can I play the recordings I already have on my DVR and External Hard Drive while it's on Dish Pause?

Reactions: charlesrshell

Does Dish still offer a locals only package if you threaten to quit enough?