Looking at switching....but I have a question

agenturge

Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
I'm a newbie. Be nice. :D

I have DirecTV on 2 tvs right now. We also have cable for local channels. We have 5 tvs in the house right now. I want to cancel the cable and go SAT on all 5 TVs.

With the deal they have now, I can get 4 rooms with service. I want to add another TV...I know I'll have to buy the box. Dish Network wants to charge $276 for the box, installation and a splitter.

So, my question is if they can use the existing cable lines in my house? I would think that they can so I wonder if I can get around the splitter charge and the install charge. I thought that maybe I could if I went with a local installer...and essentially, all they're doing is installing the dish on the roof, setting up the boxes and connecting them to the TV.

Whatcha think?

I have 6 receivers, all done myself, Just have the dish installer do the install and tell him you will want to add more receivers later, want can he do for you. He can install the proper switch, etc.

Then go to Sears, order a 311 for $99 bucks and put it in yourself. The 311's are a nice
receiver for bedroom.

I have two Dish 500's Quad LNB's..

Thanks, I kind of figured I'd be better off trying the local installer. They may be easier to deal with.

welcome to the site. you might save some money if you do some of the work yourself. read up and learn, that is what this site is all about. feel free to ask anyquestions you have.

What you would want them to do is install the 4 tv's for you. Make sure that they use a Dishpro Quad on the install, not a Dishpro Plus twin. Then buy a DP34 and a 301, 311, for standard IRD, or 501, 508 for DVR IRD off of ebay. You should be able to get a DP34 and 301/311 for around $100. A DP34 and 501/508 should be less than $200.00. Then install the last receiver yourself.

agenturge said:
I'm a newbie. Be nice. :D

With the deal they have now, I can get 4 rooms with service. I want to add another TV...I know I'll have to buy the box. Dish Network wants to charge $276 for the box, installation and a splitter.

So, my question is if they can use the existing cable lines in my house? I would think that they can so I wonder if I can get around the splitter charge and the install charge. I thought that maybe I could if I went with a local installer...and essentially, all they're doing is installing the dish on the roof, setting up the boxes and connecting them to the TV.

Whatcha think?

Think about it, Do you want 5 TVs or 5 independent connections? I have 5 but realized up front that the TV in our bedroom is used only when we want to watch the Tonight Show monologue at night or catch the news when we get up. So I slaved the TV off the connction she uses in her "craft room". If she is downstairs doing her crafts, we are not in the bedroom. I bought an extra used remote on Ebay so we could switch channels while in bed. Gave me another TV but shared the connection since both would never be used together.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)