Looking for a cheap HD Tuner

pongt17

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
I am new here and just wanted to know if anyone can recommend any good cheap HD tuner for my Panasonic HDTV ready (I can't remember the model #, but its a tube TV). Anyway I just want something that can pick up free over the sir HD channels. I looked on ebay and came across a few, but just want to make sure I get the right one for my TV. Thanks
-Pong

The cheapest can be old HDTV satellite receivers some people dont like them because their isnt any program guide information. The only alternative is old out of production HDTV set top boxes.

The cheapest can be old HDTV satellite receivers some people dont like them because their isnt any program guide information. The only alternative is old out of production HDTV set top boxes.

What's a HDTV set top boxes? Thanks

Thanks for the great info. If the VOOM works, I don't mind getting one, but from what dishrich say it can't be reprogram.

I am watching a few on Ebay:
Samsung SIR-TS 160
Samsung SIR-TS 360
Hughes HTL-HD
H20-600
Zenith HD-SAT520

Which one do you recommend for my TV. Thanks
I don't want to spend more than $100 for one and so far all of them are around $50-70 still with a few days left.

I an also buy it now on ebay for $66 for an RCA one, but not sure what the model is though or one $60 model # DTC210 EUC.

Yea, except you CAN'T reprog the off-air portion for a different off-air area, or even if YOUR locals have changed since VOOM went off the air... :confused: ;)

What the heck are you talking about, I do it all the time with mine. I take one of my "spare voom" boxes to my parents when I go visit. They live in another state.

What the heck are you talking about, I do it all the time with mine. I take one of my "spare voom" boxes to my parents when I go visit. They live in another state.

If you think it will work for me here in Columbus,OH
then I am interested in getting one from you. How much are you asking for one? Thanks

There's other posts that the VOOM boxes can't be programmed since the service shut down. However, maybe they were really saying "virgin" boxes (ie: boxes that were NEVER initially activated on the data stream) could NOT have their off-air portions activated.

But even so, it was always my understanding that you could NOT change the original off-air prog in the box once the service has shut down - I take it YOU can do this. :eek:

I found the 411 on it right here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=7178

If I buy a DSR-550 box from someone, can I use it as an OTA TV receiver?

Yes, you should be able to use the box as a standalone ATSC receiver for digital Over-the-Air channels (both HD and SD, but digital only, not analog!), as long as the following conditions are all met:

1. The box has been activated for a VOOM DBS customer. ("New-in-box" most likely won't work!)
2. The box was never deactivated: it was either active till the last day of VOOM DBS, or it has been disconnected from the satellite dish before the "kill" signal was ever sent to it.
3. The box has a recent software version: 6.10 or above, preferrably 7.37.
4. The box was not Factory Reset.
5. The PIN is not set or it is known.

Can I tune to channels that are not listed in my channel map?

Yes, you might be able to. Starting with version 6.00 you can scan for additional OTA channels available in your area and add them to the map. However, if the channel does not send certain PSIP data in its digital data stream, such channel cannot be added.

Does the STB support multiple maps (multiple DMAs)?

Each activated STB is configured to a single OTA map based on where it was activated, but this map includes channels from neighboring DMAs (a Super-DMA map). Also, starting with version 6.00 you can scan for additional OTA channels available in your area and add them to the map.

Last edited:
If you think it will work for me here in Columbus,OH
then I am interested in getting one from you. How much are you asking for one? Thanks

PM me with your address and I'll ship it to you UPS ground. I don't want anything for it, like I said I've got 3 in the garage and they are activated boxes. You can always make a donation to this site tho':rainbow

PM me with your address and I'll ship it to you UPS ground. I don't want anything for it, like I said I've got 3 in the garage and they are activated boxes. You can always make a donation to this site tho':rainbow

As soon as I get and get it working I will make a donation to this site :=)
Thanks!

The diplexer is only needed if your going to connect a voom receiver to an amplified version of the winegard sensar the antenna voom used. just unlock the diplexer pull it off and connect your aerial TV antenna to the gray plastic 8VSB module slid into the voom receiver.

I am watching a few on Ebay:
Samsung SIR-TS 160
Samsung SIR-TS 360
Hughes HTL-HD
H20-600
Zenith HD-SAT520

Which one do you recommend for my TV. Thanks
I don't want to spend more than $100 for one and so far all of them are around $50-70 still with a few days left.

The H20-600 has the best tuner in it, but the box must be activated by D* in order to work for ota.:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)