Looking for a cheap LNB recommendation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpiffWilkie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Memphis, TN
I have a friend who wants to get BYUTV on G28 and has a DirectTV HD dish already installed on his house (he doesn't know the exact size). I have an extra receiver I was going to give him and we were going to try and get BYU with the installed dish (it's a rental and he doesn't want to mess with installing a different dish if possible). Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap-o LNB that will work for this? I see THIS ONE at Sadoun for $5, but the 1.0 n.f. scares me a bit. This will be a fixed dish for this channel only. So if the $5 will work for that, great. Otherwise, any suggestions?

other choices

In addition, SatelliteAV has a $10 UL1 mini, and a $15 SL2 dual output with rectangular base.
It's quite possible the SL2 will just fit right onto some older DirecTV dishes (Phase II and Phase III, for sure) with no special bracket rigging.
If you do need to make a bracket, take a look at this discussion, for encouragement.

Also, there was a recent question about inexpensive LNBs.
I remember writing something on the subject.
If you'll look back a few weeks (it was harder to find than I thought), the info in that thread might be helpful, too.

edit:
Also, the 105° FSS LNB from a surplus SuperDish, has a round feedhorn. (picture)
If you don't mind bandstacked, that could prove an alternate source of an LNB.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I think I'll order a few of the cheap-o ones for messing around with. The mounting is nothing wire-ties, duct-tape, left-over brackets, super-glue, and some (mild) cursing can't fix!

The "flashlight" LNB that Starchoice used originally was "stacked". They took the horizontal TP's and "stacked" them above the V side

This allowed you to hook up multiple receivers to a single output LNB by high frequency splitters. Dish Network LNB's are usually stacked and Sadoun started selling a stacked KU LNB. He had a stacked C-Band LNB for a while

non stacked is what most LNB's are...you need 2 lines to run 2 receivers off of the LNB

I've got one of the $5.oo LNB's on my 36" and get RTN at 37-39%. Seems to be a good LNB for the $$$$. Also have a couple of the $10 Lnb's too. One is on my 30" motorized and no problems. If it ain't cheap I can't afford it lol.....Been using these Lnb's for the last year no problems. Blind:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts