Looking for a dish...The real difference between a 8 foot dish to a 16 foot dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fta4life

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Beaumont,Texas
Well I am currently looking for my c band dish. I have some questions though about dish sizes.

It seems I see more 8 footers out there than anything, But I have occasionally seen a 12 footer or two.

Question is in all reality what can I get on a 12 that I cant on an 8 footer? I have space now in my back yard to put up a 12 if possible, but is it even worth the trouble to get a dish that huge?

My other question is I know when I find one i will need to get a newer lnb. I already have a motorized ku setup so I am only going for c band on this dish and question is how hard is it to replace the older lnbs and rings with the new ones since the older dishes feedhorns might be a bit different? Is it easy or would I maybe be better keeping an old lnb on the dish and just slaving my microhd to an old analog receiver so I can change polarity with the old box?

I have looked around my area all day and stopped by the only house where someone was actually home and the guy didnt want to let go of his 8 footer so I will keep a trying.

Thanks

but is it even worth the trouble to get a dish that huge?
If there's some transponder you can't get, the issue causing this will NOT be the dish size. Anything under a 10 may encounter issues with adjacent satellite interference. However, YMMV.
find one i will need to get a newer lnb
I personally wouldn't 'stick with the old'. Replacing the old with a new LNBF is only a few bolts. AND the elimination of servo wires and something to control the servo. Seen the thread: [h=3]New Product: Titanium Satellite C1-PLL C-Band Phase Lock Loop LNBF[/h]Might just squeak out better performance on any BUD without the expense of the ultimate setup, an OMT.
I replaced a chaparral feedhorn/lnb/analog receiver with a LNBF a while back and kick myself for not doing it sooner.
Can always start off with an 8, and keep looking, if ya 'want more'. NOTE: some well designed 8's could possibly perform better than a mediocre 10. Whatever you locate, take pics and post them here, for members opinions or experience before jumping on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)