Looking for a fan to cool my 722K

I run mine all of the time. But it needs to blow OUT of the left rear vents, not in. It will suck the hot air out of the vent.

If I recall, I set mine to a setting somewhere under full power, trying to find a balance between noise level and airflow. Yes, make sure it is sucking air OUT the left side, not blowing air in.

Sorry for being obtuse, but when you guys mean blow air out the left side instead of in, how do I do that?

I have it placed at the left back vent blowing in, so just turn the fan around right?

Sorry for being obtuse, but when you guys mean blow air out the left side instead of in, how do I do that?

I have it placed at the left back vent blowing in, so just turn the fan around right?

Right, and it'll suck air out of the vent and blow it away from the receiver. So keep the cabinet open, if it's in one.

Mine has been running full speed/non stop for over 2 years.(knock on wood!)with no problems. I figure if i have to get a new fan every few years, the investment is worth it.

Clicked trough your link and that is the EXACT fan that I purchased to cool a early PS3. When I went to the Amazon page it said I had purchased in Nov of 2010 IT has been working great since then for what I use it for

I was looking for a small fan to cool my 722K and found this on another forum:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00080G0BK/?tag=satell01-20

Is that okay? Anyone here use that?

I remember there used to be talk about how these DVRs get warm and cause problems over in the Dish Technical forum here, but I just noticed that forum is no longer around.

I use two of them to draw out heat generated by my plasma in a converted closet/entertainment center.

I have had a Radio Shack AC powered fan running for probably 12+ years in my closed cabinet. I gut a hole in the back of the cabinet and mounted it there. I think it is this one (or similar to this one):

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102823

It just has bare wires, so you have to buy an AC cord (I bought a cheap extension cord and cut off the end) to attach to it. I used to have an AV receiver with a power outlet and I would run it off of that so it would switch on/off with the receiver. Now I have a "smart" power strip (purchased) at Best Buy that has a switched outlet on it. It will cut the fan on/off when my receiver powers on/off. Powerful fan and works like a champ. Not very loud either.

I use the dual http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NVC1DS from Amazon.
51tKQNR-bML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I put one of the fans next to the PSU vent (right side on Hopper, left side on 722k), and the other by the hole in the back of the entertainment unit behind the DVR. IIRC, I have an average temp of 104deg, according to the menu counter.

Yeah I've come across a problem. I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on this.

My USB fan isn't able to cool my 722K anymore.

I had gotten the average temperature down to 87 degrees. But over the last few weeks it's gone up little by little, and now it's up to an average of 100 degrees.

What can I do to get it to cool the DVR again?

Yeah I've come across a problem. I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on this.

I had gotten the average temperature down to 87 degrees. But over the last few weeks it's gone up little by little, and now it's up to an average of 100 degrees.

Did you adjust the fan speed? Or has the fan been moved slightly out of position? 100 is a very good temp. As long as it stays below 120, you shouldn't have any issues.

Not sure if I am posting in the correct forum. Have the Vip722 and it has died. Based upon what I am reading these units have a very high internal temp concern.
We replaced the hard drive with a WD 1Tb - Still "no signal" showing on screen. Should have read this forum first - looks like not just any Hard drive will work. I
ran across some old posts but was unable to access the links. Is there a current list of hard drives that will work in this unit posted that I am not finding? Thanks!

Not sure if I am posting in the correct forum. Have the Vip722 and it has died. Based upon what I am reading these units have a very high internal temp concern.
We replaced the hard drive with a WD 1Tb - Still "no signal" showing on screen. Should have read this forum first - looks like not just any Hard drive will work. I
ran across some old posts but was unable to access the links. Is there a current list of hard drives that will work in this unit posted that I am not finding? Thanks!
You can find the list of approved hard drives in this thread. Go to post #5.

Broke down and called the manufacturer of our current hard drive, Western Digitial. Warranty expired 6 days ago, duh! Their recommendation was a
replacement WD5000KS - supposed to match the original. I have 30 days to return - will let you know if this is a "match".

On a related note is there any list of recommended/approved USB hubs for the 722? I have a powered Belkin and it doesn't work for an EHD or Sling Adapter.

Anybody got one that allows them to run an EHD, SA, and this fan out off the rear USB port on a 722?

If your temps are going up, techmo, your HDD may be not long for this world. Your temps sound good but if the trend stays upward, move everything to an EHD and prepare to replace/upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Did you adjust the fan speed?

Nope, I just keep it on full blast.

Or has the fan been moved slightly out of position?

Nope, I just keep it on back left side, sucking out air like you guys said to.

100 is a very good temp. As long as it stays below 120, you shouldn't have any issues.

Well at least I have about 20 more degrees to work with.

I was thinking about this for a bit.

Could the problem be because the USB fan doesn't have it's own power source? In other words, it's working to cool the DVR but also making the DVR hotter because the DVR itself has to work harder than usual because it's providing the power to the USB fan.

So I was thinking about getting something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-AC-to-USB-Power-Adapter/16553072

An AC to USB Power Adapter so I can actually run the USB fan through an electrical outlet and not have the DVR run the fan.

What do you guys think of that?

Bet the fan is wearing out. I use these, very very quiet meant to run and run.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FXVJ1U/?tag=satell01-20

I do use it as other have suggested, sucking out the air pulling in new air in the process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)