Edision Looking for a new FTA Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mark2074

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, ON
So, it's been a long time since I've been on this site. I've been using the Azbox MiniMe American Edition I bought in 2014. Biggest mistake I made when I traded my GeosatPro for it because of 4:2:2 (Wants to slap some reasoning into his past-self :poke). Recently, I have been wanting to replace it since the sound is failing on it. I would have to reboot it to get it back or change channels to stop the crackling.

I see the new technology now is 4K compatibility. Although, I don't have a 4K tv and I am not going to replace my Sony LCD Bravia unless it breaks down.

The big reason why I want to replace the Azbox is because I can't record on an external HD. But, I want something that won't turn into a doorstop like the azbox became for many. What is a solid FTA receiver on the market now? There is the Edison OS Mio 4K receiver that has been talked about here.

The Edison Osmio4k with the TNAP image is solid. Unlike another 4K O@#$%^& the Edison is up and running out of the box with no updates needed or errors. I am impressed with the response of this unit and picture. I do not have 4k yet but this can downgrades the 4k to 1080 so i can still view an amazing picture. And in the future when i get 4K tv it will work perfectly. I started with a Manhattan rc 1978 and upgraded to Edison a few years ago and this is the way to go for the future. The support is fantastic and i like to Thank Titanium Satellite for a great product.

The osmio 4k seems to be your best bet but there are no guarantees as to how long there will be support (just like any electronic devices these days). Anyway, it's not a bad idea to get this 4K receiver just in case you have to replace your TV with a 4K set at some point. I don't think there's a lot of 4K content just yet though. As for 4:2:2, I've been streaming such content from the Edision to the computer and decode with VLC to my computer monitor and/or TV. It would be nice, though, to have a setup that picks up and combines all the audio streams on those services that have multiple streams that were designed to be recombined (and probably done that way to mess with us). I don't know of any consumer electronics device that does that.

I should mention that you can stream the mio to your smartphone with the dreamdroid app, also.

Reactions: c-spand
Do you know if there's an iPhone version of that?

Don't know. Doesn't look like there's one. I suppose it's possible to stream it with vlc on the iphone but i have no way to test that. I've been trying to watch with webif on my mobile Firefox app but I can't get it to work with the VLC plugin. The dish doesn't even move. I'll keep trying. I was expecting it to work like the desktop Firefox but I guess it's not that simple.

Last edited:
Don't know. Doesn't look like there's one. I suppose it's possible to stream it with vlc on the iphone but i have no way to test that. I've been trying to watch with webif on my mobile Firefox app but I can't get it to work with the VLC plugin. The dish doesn't even move. I'll keep trying. I was expecting it to work like the desktop Firefox but I guess it's not that simple.

Got it to work with firefox on android. First, I was connecting to the wrong osmio 4k (I have 2). The one I tried to connect to was in use by an Android TV box. Anyway, I still can't stream like on the desktop but after I click on stream from Webif and getting the error message I had to click on the firefox android icon and select VLC. There's got to be a way around that. I'll let ya know. Too bad I don't have an iphone to test with. My son has an iphone SE but the memory is full. Too bad you can't add memory to an iphone like you can with an android.

Do you know if there's an iPhone version of that?
there are a few options with the iPhone/iPad:
- you can use the OpenWebif page and stream like you would on a PC. However iOS tries to use its own app and it does not work. But if you copy the URL and paste it into the VLC app, then it works fine. However because of the copy/paste, it's not all that user friendly
- You can manage many settings with e2RemoteLite. You can stream for 1 minute (you need to buy the app to get over that limit). More interestingly, you can see important statistics like SNR with a 500ms refresh, very nice when tuning a dish.
- I would think there are more options but those are the ones i've used

The osmio 4k seems to be your best bet but there are no guarantees as to how long there will be support (just like any electronic devices these days). Anyway, it's not a bad idea to get this 4K receiver just in case you have to replace your TV with a 4K set at some point. I don't think there's a lot of 4K content just yet though. As for 4:2:2, I've been streaming such content from the Edision to the computer and decode with VLC to my computer monitor and/or TV. It would be nice, though, to have a setup that picks up and combines all the audio streams on those services that have multiple streams that were designed to be recombined (and probably done that way to mess with us). I don't know of any consumer electronics device that does that.
This is obvious about the support and one day any given make and model will no longer be supported. Bu,t No receiver was ever as bad as the Azbox Mini Me. I actually went down to Dr. Sat's store which was west of Toronto (don't know if he is even there now). Upon seeing his store and frankly his personality it should have been a red-flag. I chalk it up to lesson learned. I shouldn't really complain since the receiver still kind of works.

The Edision is really not that more expensive than what I paid for the Azbox. Although, recently I have been on a sending spree of essentials and this may have to way until the new year.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I appreciate it.

This is obvious about the support and one day any given make and model will no longer be supported. Bu,t No receiver was ever as bad as the Azbox Mini Me. I actually went down to Dr. Sat's store which was west of Toronto (don't know if he is even there now). Upon seeing his store and frankly his personality it should have been a red-flag. I chalk it up to lesson learned. I shouldn't really complain since the receiver still kind of works.

The Edision is really not that more expensive than what I paid for the Azbox. Although, recently I have been on a sending spree of essentials and this may have to way until the new year.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I appreciate it.
Dr. Sat in in Oakville, ont...west of Toronto. I agree...terrible buisness. He has/had a website that sells, but refuses to anwer his emails regarding orders, nor his buisness phone. I dont know if he is even still in buisness. I wanted to by about $500 worth of equipment...and trying to confirm stock and the order before placing the website order was useless. There is another Canadian distrubuter in ONtario ( Satellite 2000?) but he charges full US pricing and shipping even to local Ontario orders. VERY expensive combared to ordering from a competitve US company...even with shipping , duty and exchange. Too bad he doesnt even take Canadain dollars to save the 2% Credit card exchange fee. This guy would have much higher sales if he simply allowd for local purchases in Canadian...soI buy from the US Titanium and others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)