Looking for advice

GooMan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Alabama
I'm a current Dish customer not under contract. We presently have service on 4 TVs but need to add another TV. We currently have 2 dual-tuner standard def DVRs (I think they are 625s) feeding the 4 TVs. I was told I couldn't add a 3rd receiver without adding a switch and that I would be better off switching to HD where I could run up to 3 dual-tuner receivers from 1 dish. I figured it was time to upgrade to HD anyway so I decided to go that route. 2 dual-tuner HD DVRs and 1 single-tuner HD DVR would work fine for our family. When I called Dish they tried to sell me on the Hopper system but I'm not sure I want to go that route. I was told I needed 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys. Would all the Joeys be able to see everything (across both Hoppers).

What are the benefits of the Hopper system over the 2 dual-tuner DVR/1 single-tuner DVR setup? I assume each TV can have HD using the Hopper?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Before getting the hopper be sure to read the many posts about it. Not to get something else.... To read the best set up to get. (I.E. not just one hopper etc...)

What are the benefits of the Hopper system over the 2 dual-tuner DVR/1 single-tuner DVR setup? I assume each TV can have HD using the Hopper?

Thanks.
Simply put, all TVs would have access to ALL your programs, including those on an EHD. Then, there's all the cool bells and whistles.

how many tvs are in use at one time? will it be live tv or recorded tv?
you m ay need 3 hoppers

you m ay need 3 hoppers
For five TVs AND assuming all on at same time? NO. Two Hoppers is enough. It also seems that you are overlooking the four networks being available live on one tuner (like PTAT) since the latest software version.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

In order to have at least 5 tuners you would need 2 Hoppers which will give you a total of 6 tuners.

you may need 3 hoppers

It could be all 5 at once with a mixture of live/recorded TV??? I know that sounds stupid but I really don't know how to answer. We have a TV in the den, master bedroom, and each of the 3 kids room. In the past the girls shared a room but one has moved upstairs to her own room hence the need for a 5th feed.

For five TVs AND assuming all on at same time? NO. Two Hoppers is enough. It also seems that you are overlooking the four networks being available live on one tuner (like PTAT) since the latest software version.

not overlooking anything.
it depends on view habits
example:
3 kids - 1 disney, 1 mtv, 1 nick
wife - lifetime
dad - espn

in this case ptat doesnt add anything

now if everyone is watching ntwork, then it more then makes up for it

It could be all 5 at once with a mixture of live/recorded TV??? I know that sounds stupid but I really don't know how to answer. We have a TV in the den, master bedroom, and each of the 3 kids room. In the past the girls shared a room but one has moved upstairs to her own room hence the need for a 5th feed.

all 5 live, id still go with 3 hoppers adn 2 joeys

That's what Dish told him.

Yep, and I agree with DISH on their assessment. I really think a 3 Hopper system would be overkill and I don't know of anyone who has a 3 Hopper system. Will DISH even allow it?

A three Hopper system is not even allowed, IIRC. A third would have to be purchased.

If my son was recording a show on Nick (for example) while he was watching it would the other kids' TVs be able to watch it too? I'm really fuzzy about how this Hopper system works. I'm really thinking about going with the other setup just to avoid the unknowns. At least I know what I'm getting with the old style setup. I just hate to get in a contract with something we hate. My wife and daughter are constantly on me wanting to know when the installer is coming so I need to decide something soon. I wish I knew someone with a Hopper that I could go over and play with their setup. I just need to be able to wrap my head around how it works.

Not trying to start a war with this suggestion but have you looked at your options from Directv?

If my son was recording a show on Nick (for example) while he was watching it would the other kids' TVs be able to watch it too? I'm really fuzzy about how this Hopper system works. I'm really thinking about going with the other setup just to avoid the unknowns. At least I know what I'm getting with the old style setup. I just hate to get in a contract with something we hate. My wife and daughter are constantly on me wanting to know when the installer is coming so I need to decide something soon. I wish I knew someone with a Hopper that I could go over and play with their setup. I just need to be able to wrap my head around how it works.

Do you have a Blockbuster store in your area? If so, call them up to verify the have a Hopper kiosk and go test it out. I think most if not all stores have a Hopper demo station.

Hey GooMan the hopper system is a great DVR and whole home setup. Personaly I think it is better than Directv's Genie. I have a two hopper and three joey setup as well it is pretty easy to use. I also think the prime time anytime is an awsome feature as well. It also skips commericals automaticaly while using prime time anytime. I would have to aggree with KAB it would be a mistake to pass up the hopper system. Plus the installer would go over the whole system with you and answer your questions and even show you how to use it as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)