Looking for C-band feedhorn cover

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
I would like to get a feedhorn cover for my dish.
Where is a good place to buy?
Has anyone made one out of something?

Thanks

I've only run into a couple of places that had them, for about $40 ~ $50. The standard size doesn't fit my Bullseye II. They are pretty good at collecting wildlife, birds and bees.

Hindu55 made one from a ziptie jar. It was neat. I copied the idea with a pop bottle.
Dish_0048sa.jpgSAM_0007.JPG

I'm just using half-gallon plastic milk cartons, cut to fit. Cheap, they slide right over the LNBF, and easily replaceable. So far, the wind has not taken them off and we have had some good winds...

5-GALLON BUCKET. You can get them at Home Depot or walmart, or hell, ask a painter. I use them on two of my dishes, scuff the outside with some scotchbrite pads and paint them with the Krylon paint for plastic, and there ya go. I used one on my BV to cover the ADL quad otrho, so it should work for most any dish/LNB combo out there.

......They are pretty good at collecting wildlife, birds and bees.

I had that problem about four years ago. The wasps could get past the scaler ring and into the guts of the system. After "de-beeing" it, I cut to fit screen and hot melt glued it in place. No bees since.
Hindu55 made one from a ziptie jar. It was neat. I copied the idea with a pop bottle.
View attachment 75995
Now that is slick! A see through cover for the LNB.

RT.

So is there an advantage to having a cover over an LNBF? I have one covered and one not and I don't see any advantage either way other than not having wasp nests to deal with on the one that's out in the open? My coax connections at the LNBF are always done with lots of petroleum jelly to keep the corrosion and water out and at this point that seems to be working very well.

Lone Gunman sez"My coax connections at the LNBF are always done with lots of petroleum jelly to keep the corrosion and water out and at this point that seems to be working very well."

Is petroleum jelly a good substitute for dielectric grease? It would sure be less expensive and I will consider using it if that's the case.

Water (snow) and sun are two the large forces in nature that break things down.
I want the cover to take the hit not the LNB's and feedhorn.

Thanks

Another reason is to keep direct sunlight from heating the LNBFs. A well vented cover will shade the electronics and allow them to operate at a lower temperature. Never made to much sense to me when black covers became more popular than the white covers. Maybe the black covers lasted longer in UV exposure, but they would get so hot that you couldn't touch them on a hot day.

Lower operational temperature = Higher performance

Another reason is to keep direct sunlight from heating the LNBFs. A well vented cover will shade the electronics and allow them to operate at a lower temperature. Never made to much sense to me when black covers became more popular than the white covers. Maybe the black covers lasted longer in UV exposure, but they would get so hot that you couldn't touch them on a hot day.

Lower operational temperature = Higher performance
Probably black because most of the dishes were (are) black too...

I have one of those black covers on my system. Works great in Winter when the temps are -40, helps to keep some heat in and warms up nicely in the daytime, as well as keeps the snow and ice from building up around the connections etc. I remove it in the summer time as per Brian's comment above, don't need to cook LNBs! The clear plastic looks really cool though!

So is there an advantage to having a cover over an LNBF?.....

Customers are more concerned with:
Aesthetics? ...... Yes
Performance? ....... No
SatAV hit it right on the head. It, the cover, makes the dish look finished instead of naked.
Interesting about the summer heat. I will check that this Summer if it warms up this year in cold, cold Michigan.

RT.

I always wondered about that to Brian, I see the old Patriot comercial cover are white but the home users ones are black?

I do not have a cover on my feed.

Hello Dietzy here in wva has 3 extra horne covers maby be diferent sizes or fasen different ,,let know if still need

I need one, too, but I'm not paying $30. I'd bet you a big black planting pot like landscapers use to put flowers in would work. Of course, you'd have to find the right size for your dish. You'll probably end up having to figure how to fasten it to your base anyway. And the price is a lot better.:cool:

I threw one away last week, had been lying in the pole barn and over several years, I suppose it got corrupted. Nice thick light tan one, dropped it when I grabbed for it, and it shattered like a light bulb! I got tired of taking the things off to work on the lnbs, a good thick garbage bag works pretty well for me, and replacing it after a few weeks gives me a chance to inspect the cables and connectors.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts