Looking for input on a Flat Panel Tv

John W

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Planet Earth
I have read through a lot of the posts in this section but still am not sure on what I should get other than a Flatpanel is what I want because of space constraints.

I am looking for something around a 42" either LCD or Plasma flat panel. I plan on hooking up a VIP 622 to it. Most if not all viewing would be direct ie not worrying about veiwing from the sides.

Can someone make some recommendations on what may be good?

What is your budget?

Do you want HDTV built-in or HD ready? (I am assuming HD ready since you have the 622)

Do you want 720p native, 1080i native or a combo?

Also there are a few great HD FPTV models that are smaller, cheaper in cost and equal (or better) in quality than most "flat panels" that will perfectly scale HD sizes to 40" AND whenever your space increases you will already have the same unit that can go all the way up to 200" +) without losing quality or spending a ton more money if any at all.

Last edited:
Budget is basically under $3000

Just HD ready, don't need HD built in but if a nice tv has it I wouldn't turn it down for that

Not sure on the resotution although most flat screens I have looked at seem to be 720p. My RPTV that I have now in the family room is 1080i

Didn't even think of the FP units. that may be a valid option. I may have a problem with too much light in that room though.

I absolutely "love" my Sony KDLV40XBR1 40" LCD. It's a full HDTV with great flexibility and IMO the OTA tuner is superior to the 622's. One downside is its single HDMI/digital input, but it does have 2 other HD component inputs. I have posted a number of comments about it, so just check for those. With recent price cuts it should be well under $3K. With the swap-out I am now running HDMI from my 622 successfully and also using a Sony "Dream" 5.1 ss system that is a decent compliment. Rez is 1360 x 768, 720p or 1080i. Total investment for me was about $4,500...

Hi neighbor, good to see you still around

John Walsh said:
Budget is basically under $3000

Didn't even think of the FP units. that may be a valid option. I may have a problem with too much light in that room though.

Hi there,

I may be in the market for an LCD or Plasma soon myself. It was my better half's idea, and who can argue with their wife (oh woe is me). If she wants something, I know I am going to end up with it. Can you picture having to buy a 40" plus LCD or Plasma TV because your wife nagged you into it????

Only in America.

greyskies in sunny South Florida

John Walsh said:

There really is no such with the correct proj unless you really live on the sun; LOL You should check them out.

Yesterday, being my birthday and it being Fathers Day tomorrow. My wife bought me the 42in Westinghouse 1080P LCD. It's on sale at BB for $1898. It's too soon to give a full review, but I got to say first impresssion; The wow is back! I watched American Chopper via D and Letterman and Leno via OTA. I'm very impressed so far. This thing has 1 HDMI 2 DVI 1 VGA 2 Component 1 Composite and 1 S Video. Right now I have it set up in my bedroom. I may never leave.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)