looking for instalation information

Robert NTSC Archivist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Southwestern West Virginia
I purchased the Star Choice 315 system Quad LNBF with the 75cm Elliptical Dish with one reciever and plan to have it professionaly installed once it arrives as I know zero about installing these beasts.

I have had Dish Network since 1998 and DirecTV since last September and learned the hard way about not have a qualified installer do the work.

My question is simple is there any information that I can give to the installer that would help make his job eaiser as he will no doubt not be familar with Star Choice system.

I currently live in Beckley West Virginia was simply wondering if you experinced guys can tell me anything that might not be in the manual that I can print out and pass to the local installer. I figure he can get the pole in the ground alright but I am talking specificaly in reguards to lattitude and longitude issues so I can align the dish.

Thanks in advance

Bob

Robert,

For the Starchoice eliptical dish.......

Beckley, West Virginia is at 37.78 N lattitude, 81.18 longitude. Putting those numbers into the Kusat installation site for look angles gives you:

Elevation = 36.99
Azimuth = 226 (adding about 6 degrees for true magnetic north)

Slow slight adjustments as Starchoice takes much more patience than either Dish, DTV, or BellExpress. Good luck and come back and post your results.

Keith

The SC dish settings are very similiar to the DTV triple LNBF dish (SC aimed at 111.1; DirecTv aimed at 110)

The main differences for an installer familiar with DBS installations are:

1) Ku signals are much narrower than DBS. This means that there is no gradual build up of signal as 1 gets closer to the location. Very little movement is required after signal acquisition to max signal strength.

2) It takes Motorola DC II receivers 10 to 15 seconds to update the signal strength bar. When fine tuning, make a very very small adjustment and WAIT for the signal meter to update.

After unit is authorized, check signal strength on F2 by tuning in 298 (French SC channel) and 420 (NFL Network). Values should be at least as high as average on F1R channels.

Hint:
To speed up IPG on non 500 series receivers: Go into "Parental" options. Use lockout screen to lockout all channels you are not subcribed to. This will take them off the IPG and your receiver will only stop at subscribed channels when you use the "UP" "Down" buttons.

I recieved my Star Choice system today

I will contact an professional installer tomorrow to set up having it installed. It makes the Dish 500 look like a small little dish and the regular DirecTV dish look like a spoon. . . .

One thing I noticed is that there was no smart card included with the receiver and while there is a slot for it on the front of the receiver as well as another slot on the rear of the receiver the instruction manual makes no references to a smart card SO I will assume that they don't have one in Canada at this time.

Does any one know how activating the programing threw the broker works. Since I bought from them I thought I would use them as my broker. I will assume that I call there customer service number and they will simply turn it on from there.

I also noticed that all the serial numbers were removed from the packaging carton when *C shipped it to me.

One last question if I decide to add additional receiver at a later date will *C as my broker have a problem with it. Don't want to buy extra receivers until I have seen the programing.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited:
StarChoice doesnt need a smartcard...its built in

normally when you send the broker the nfo, the carrier (StarChoice or ExpressVu) has up to 24 hours ot turn it on...SC is usually within 12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts