Looking for my first FTA box?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bohack

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Pa
Guys,

Which FTA box would you recommend for someone that wants to experiment? I live in Pittsburgh Pa and have clear line of sight of sats. I also just purchased my 90cm dish Ku Band. What is a good box that won't break the budget? Also where should I buy it? I hear that some boxes have software, but some are knock-offs... What does the software do? The application is for my RV and to get my son into the hobby. Maybe even pull some wild feeds. Any direction would be much appreciated! Oh... Looking for something that will do HD and maybe plug in movie...

Jon

Right now, I'd think it's the Amiko Mini HD SE. There's also the Geosatpro micro HD, and a couple others worth consideration.
Should put it on a motor to enable all satellite reception, but that would require aligning it every time it's moved. But it's a 'little bit here, a little bit there' and not one satellite for 'all'. STAB H90 has been getting the 'nod' lately.
IIRR, The HD SE is also a media player so plug in a USB HDD loaded with your movies in a compatible format and you're 'set'.
All boxes have software, it's what make 'em 'tick'. There is knock off hardware out there, so buy from a reputable dealer. A few are members here.

My personal use receiver is currently the Amiko mini HD SE. Customer support and development is here in North America. It is a quality build and excellent firmware with the latest ALI 600Mhz chipset and an EardaTek 11030 tuner. Very fast and accurate blind scans. Around 2 minute scans on most satellites!

Powered by 12Vdc so it would be great for the RV. Run off of battery/solar or the AC wall adapter. If you or your son are into watching entertainment on a tablet or smartphone, the mini also streams to Android devices! If connected to the internet by LAN or USB WiFi adapter, you can watch the Amiko IPTV service, YouTube, use Google Maps, etc. Stuff that your son probably would be interested in! :) Best of all is that it can be found online from several reputable and authorized resellers for $99 including shipping!

Edit: Fat Air beat me to the post... :)

The Amiko mini HD SE looks like a great unit... Do I need to worry about blind scan and I keep seeing that you have to update the FTA receivers with firmware or updates. Is that for satellite channels? I'm not afraid to learn... KB3KGS

firmware updates do not update the satellites/channels. You do that with a blind scan. Frimware is the OS of the receiver, updated for features and or correct operational errors.

Thanks for the clarification... Any worth in a better Amiko model? or am I wasting my money on higher end units?

Thanks for the clarification... Any worth in a better Amiko model? or am I wasting my money on higher end units?

The Amiko A3 is coming out which is a android STB. However if I was in your shoes I would look at buying a mini se or mhd from a reseller that offers phone support in case you get stuck.

Welcome to the wonderful world of "do you use all those satellites" :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts