Looking for new FTA receiver...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Looking for new FTA receiver that will do the following:

1) Receive DVB-S2 signals (Need my RTN)
2) Blind Scan
3) DVR Capability
4) UHF Remote Control

Are there any receivers available that currently have all 4 features listed above?

A quick look at the pansat 9200 looks like it "could" be the receiver you're looking for. I'm not yet ready to jump to HD or S2, so I haven't done my due diligence on this yet.

However pansatusa says:
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]• Smart Scan
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]• DVB-S2(8PSK) ready
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]• UHF ready
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]• Integrated USB 2.0 (Host)[/FONT]

You can scratch the Diamond 9000 HD off your list, they claim it does DVB-S2 but I am not been able to lock ANY -S2 with it. :(

Its great for HD, though. :)

I just looked up the Pansat 9200 and boy my mouth is watering. :) It even has a OTA digital tuner and 10,000 channel memory. However, it sells for over $400. :(

I havent heard of anyone getting dvb-s2 to work on the pansat 9200... the advertising seems to be geared towards the illuminati module, which is 8psk turbo-fec, ie the illegal market.

I havent heard of anyone getting dvb-s2 to work on the pansat 9200... the advertising seems to be geared towards the illuminati module, which is 8psk turbo-fec, ie the illegal market.
I got the impression that the illuminati module was required for the dvb-s2... but that it would work for stuff like the RTN channels, and not just illegal crap. I hope so, cuz I'm saving up for one

people mix up terminology, especially these hack dealers that dont care about the customer and just want to make a buck.

dvb-s2 is sometimes refered to as 8psk
8psk turbo-fec is not the same as dvb-s2
8psk trellis is not the same as dvb-s2 or turbo-fec

but ebay dealers often mention dvb-s2 when refering to 8psk turbo-fec.

if I were you buy it from somewhere that is reputable and will allow you to return the module if it doesnt work for your needs, even if there is a handling fee, its better then being stuck with something thats usless to you.

Is dvb the same as dvb-s?
Now I think dvb-s is mpeg2 which north america uses and dvb-s2 which is a form of MPEG 4 is mostly used in Europe right?
I know that Europe has adapted MPEG 4 as a transport stream must quicker then these united states.
Please correct me if I am wrong. ( I too am looking for a replacement to my Nuesat and I just want to make sure I have the terminology correct)

dvb is digital video broadcasting. s means satellite.

in europe there is also dvb-t (terestrial) and dvb-c (cable)

dvb-s can carry any type of data, doesnt accually have to be video. it can be audio in mp3 or ac3 format, it can be data such as internet, it can also be video, such as mpeg2 or mpeg4

dvb-s refers to qpsk modulation, where dvb-s2 refers to 8psk modulation. the modulation doesnt have any influence over what type of data is used or the compression method used.

the problem that gets confusing is there are variants on the modulation

there is qpsk and qpsk turbo-fec, these are different and not interchangable. there is 8psk, 8psk turbo-fec, and 8psk trellis, these are all different and not interchangable.

The PVR functionality (which is via E-SATA) and DVB-S2 are not implemented yet, but the unit is capable. PVR is awaiting firmware, and I believe S2 is as well.

Hurry up, Pansat! Give me a reason to pull the trigger on one of these ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)