Looking for Orbitron mount instructions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bubby-joe50

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Way Up North
Does anyone have the setup instructions for an Orbitron dish mount in the picture, original dish was destroyed in 100+mph wind, original dish was a 12 footer. The mount is straight as far as I know. The large ring has a welded pipe that is off center from top to bottom by 14 inches from pipe rim to outside ring and the bottom measures 16 inches from pipe rim to outside ring, both sides are 15 inches from pipe rim to outside ring. I am planning to mount an Andrews 6ft solid aluminum dish to this mount for ku with an invocom qph-031 for Ku, using a v-box III and 24 inch Von-Weise actuator.

Attachments

• PB170428.JPG
    PB170428.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 462
  • PB170430.JPG
    PB170430.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 357
What kind of instructions are you looking for? I'm sure you can stick another dish on that mount with a little fabricating, or some spot welding maybe.
All you need to have is, a pivot point where the mount/dish can swing back and forth, a way to adjust declination and elevation. I put a primestar dish on a ring similar to that, move it with a reg actuator motor, and it tracks the arc just fine.

The original setup manual would be nice as there is no marks on this thing except for the measurements I've taken. The mount came to me with the 16 inch side up and really didn't work worth a crap. Just to know for sure which measurement is to go to the top, 14 or 16 inch as the 15 inch measurement has to be on the sides when I'm setting up would be a BIG help. As far as mounting the Andrews I've got that covered with 3 each 1/2 inch by 4 inch J-bolts to clamp the Orbitron ring to the Andrews mount using the original bolt holes for the triangular mount on the Andrews mount ring.

Last edited:
Was the previous 12 foot dish motorized, or fixed-aimed... perhaps for an apartment building or cable head-end?

Maybe if you took some pictures of the mount from different angles, it might help the guys discuss it.

As for putting the 6' Ku dish on the mount, if that's an offset dish, you might want to search back through the threads for one where Turbosat did that very thing.
He had to arrange for a 24º (?) offset between the ring and the back of the dish.
(tilt the dish down)
That is to compensate for the offset of the dish's upward look-angle.

Ya might also follow up on links from Google.

As for general info on setting up dish geometry, here is where to look.
Start about half way down the page at: 3). Set Declination/Elevation.

I don't have my manual for my old Orbitron 12' but I remember how it worked. The declination is set by spinning the center hub piece. They called it "spinclination". The range is 0 to 8 degrees. The elevation angle should be measure on the flat bar where the lower actuator clamp mounts, then subtract that angle from 90. So if your elevation is supposed to be 30 degrees, that angle would show 60.

Orbitron

Yes the 12 footer was motorized at previous location, the 6 ft Andrews is a prime focus dish from the old cable company, the Orbitron came with an 18 inch lite duty Von-Wiese and I upgraded to a 24 heavy duty, when I took it out I marked it but it was not assembled properly at previous location. When I reassembled it for myself there was no manual and the declination adjustment was beyond me, and the performance was very poor with only 3 sat's on the entire clarke belt. I'd like to thank everyone for the advice. And a special thanks to jbod666 for the help. Also thanks to everyone else as were all here to help each other with problems if we can.

Last edited:
The other day, I PM'd someone who showed an Orbitron dish in their signature.
I'd hoped they would chime in on this thread.
It wasn't the fellow you mentioned.
Sorry we haven't generated better assistance for you.

Declination

For this type mount, the declination is supposed to be a painted mark on the mount ring pipe, now long gone to the degree tape on the mount pipe. The declination is right when the dish points lower than the mount, which would place the longer 16 inch measurement to the top when all assembled properly. The problem I had was in the latitude adjustment for my location. The manual describes a process way different to how I set it up on the pipe before the big wind shredded the mesh and frame of the dish but the mount should have no problem with the 6 ft Andrews and the j-bolts to mount it to the Orbitron mount and the setup should be a breeze to setup with the manual. Picture's after installation in the Spring as Winter arrived yesterday, (CRAP). Thanks again to jbod666

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.