Looking for setup advice.

knighthammer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
After much hard work & negotiation, I have ordered a Philips HTS8100 Soundbar (I lost the negotiation...no running of wires, cables etc.) Please, no lectures from the audiophiles:( I just want to know what is my optimum setup with the Soundbar w/ HDMI out, Samsung 42" DLP w/ HDMI in & the Dish VIP 622. Do I need to utilize the HDMI port in the DVR receiver? I also want to be able to utilize the sound settings from the soundbar thru TV channels, not just DVD.

Any help or opinion is appreciated!!!

Scott, I believe you can move posts if they are in the wrong forum. I put this here because of the VIP 622 DVR. If it should be in the Home Theater forum, by all means move it. I was kind of torn on which one to use.:rolleyes:

Wow, 47 views & no response??? Do I need a breath mint???:eek: Am I using the wrong deodorant? Do I suffer from the heartbreak of psoriasis?:confused:

I've never heard of this thing.. :)

** edit ** ok I went and looked at it. I can see where it might be useful in certain circumstances, but I'll hang on to my 5.1 for a while.

Last edited:
Ok, let's change the question. Forget about the soundbar for the moment.

I have a 42" DLP w/ HDMI in. I have the VIP 622 DVR. What is the best way to hook up a surround sound system w/ HDMI out so I can listen to TV programs thru the sound system? Do I need to connect the sound system thru the 622 or direct to the TV?

How you hook it up may depend on whether you have any interest in watching TV without the surround system. If the TV speakers aren't going to be used, then you can easily get away with running the HDMI through the AVR.

Whether or not you need additional HDMI inputs for your TV will also have an impact.

How you hook it up may depend on whether you have any interest in watching TV without the surround system. If the TV speakers aren't going to be used, then you can easily get away with running the HDMI through the AVR. ??? AVR???

Whether or not you need additional HDMI inputs for your TV will also have an impact.

I want to watch tv with surround sound. Each of my devices only has 1 HDMI port. My soundbar has a dvd player built in. So what connects to what connects to what?

I want to watch tv with surround sound. Each of my devices only has 1 HDMI port. My soundbar has a dvd player built in. So what connects to what connects to what?
I can't find any specs on that thing, ie connections. A lot of money for???

cant you hook up the HDMI out on the HDMI in on your DLP, then just use optical out from the 622 to optical in on the soundbar...the only way that these upconverts "upconvert" is through HDMI, so you will have to have the HDMI connected to your tv from the soundbar. If you only have one HDMI inout on your TV then you will either have to use component cables from the 622 to your TV and use the HDMI for the soundbar...if you want to use HDMI for both the 622 and soundbar, you will need to buy an HDMI switch, so they can share one HDMI port on the TV

Last edited:
AVR = AV Receiver. Sorry but I'm going through your posts trying to figure out what all equipment you have. Looks like just the 622, a DLP TV and this soundbar/DVD player thing.

Appears as though the soundbar IS your AVR. Looks like it can output HDMI and Component. I have no idea what inputs it has. Hard to find info on the connectors this thing has, but it LOOKS to me like you want to go HDMI from the 622 to your TV. I am assuming that uses up all available HDMI inputs on your TV as you said that each device only has one HDMI. So 622 HDMI to your DLP. Audio from 622 to your HTS8100. TV speakers off. Component from HTS8100 to TV should handle the DVD player to the TV.

I'm guessing here ... I'm just not finding a lot of information on the HTS8100 connections.

just by looking on the manual info, you will have to use coaxial audio in from the coaxial audio out from the 622....looks like since this is PHILIPS device they are using the S.P.D.I. connection (coaxial), and not optical so my suggestion would be this:

run component video cables from the 622 to component inputs on the DLP for video from the sat and then use COAXIAL from the 622 to the soundbar for your sound.
then use HDMI from the soundbar to the DLP for DVD

if you have 2 HDMI inputs on the DLP
same as above, just omit the component cables for video and sub in the HDMI from the 622 to the TV

just remember if you dont use HDMI your dvd player will not upconvert your DVD's, the only way you can upconvert DVD's is through HDMI

cant you hook up the HDMI out on the HDMI in on your DLP, then just use optical out from the 622 to optical in on the soundbar...the only way that these upconverts "upconvert" is through HDMI, so you will have to have the HDMI connected to your tv from the soundbar. If you only have one HDMI inout on your TV then you will either have to use component cables from the 622 to your TV and use the HDMI for the soundbar...if you want to use HDMI for both the 622 and soundbar, you will need to buy an HDMI switch, so they can share one HDMI port on the TV

I am currently using component cables from my TV to the 622. Many of the good people here said they doubted that there would be much difference in PQ by using HDMI cable unless a DVD player were involved.

If I understand correctly, your setup will allow the multichannel sound thru both TV channels as well as DVD's, even without the HDMI switch. Is that right?

yes it will allow multichannel sound...that is if the program you are watching on TV is broadcast in 5.1, you will find that some programs on TV are still not broadcast in 5.1. You dont have to worry about sound from DVD's because you have a all in one system, you only have to get sound from the SAT to the soundbar, which you will be doing by using the coaxial from the sat to the soundbar....I forgot to mention earlier that you will want to turn the speakers off on your TV, you wont be needing them anymore.

I have a DLP too, a Philips 50", I have found that I have a noticable difference in the color between HDMI versus component, with HDMI my colors are brighter, maybe one shade or two, but I hear so many people asking what should they use, I have come to the point to where I just say, dont go by what everybody else says, do what looks good to you...after all, you are the one watching your TV

Last edited:
AVR = AV Receiver. Sorry but I'm going through your posts trying to figure out what all equipment you have. Looks like just the 622, a DLP TV and this soundbar/DVD player thing.

Appears as though the soundbar IS your AVR. Looks like it can output HDMI and Component. I have no idea what inputs it has. Hard to find info on the connectors this thing has, but it LOOKS to me like you want to go HDMI from the 622 to your TV. I am assuming that uses up all available HDMI inputs on your TV as you said that each device only has one HDMI. So 622 HDMI to your DLP. Audio from 622 to your HTS8100. TV speakers off. Component from HTS8100 to TV should handle the DVD player to the TV.

I'm guessing here ... I'm just not finding a lot of information on the HTS8100 connections.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ditto what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

since this system is only simulated 5.1, I dont know how much difference you will hear between a 5.1 boradcast and a regular broadcast, I have never used a simulated 5.1 system before

Does this help?

Front / Side connectionsMP3 Line-in, USB Rear ConnectionsHDMI output, Component Video output, SCART1 (CVBS, RGB out), TV in (3.5mm jack), Easy-Fit speaker connectors, Interconnect (to Power Box) Subwoofer (Power Box)FM Antenna, AM/MW Antenna, Coaxial Digital input, AUX In (cinch, 2 pairs), Interconnect (to Main Unit)

Does this help?

Front / Side connectionsMP3 Line-in, USB Rear ConnectionsHDMI output, Component Video output, SCART1 (CVBS, RGB out), TV in (3.5mm jack), Easy-Fit speaker connectors, Interconnect (to Power Box) Subwoofer (Power Box)FM Antenna, AM/MW Antenna, Coaxial Digital input, AUX In (cinch, 2 pairs), Interconnect (to Main Unit)

That is the same info I got off of the Philips site for your equipment.
Use the Digital Coax out from your 622 and hook it up to the Digital Coax input on your Soundbar...you will them have multichannel sound going through your soundbar from the 622.

If you want to upconvert your DVD's while watching them you will need to use the HDMI output and hook it up to your HDMI input on your DLP...
If you use component out from the Soundbar to the DLP, you will only have 480P....

Last edited:
That is the same info I got off of the Philips site for your equipment.
Use the Digital Coax out from your 622 and hook it up to the Digital Coax input on your Soundbar...you will them have multichannel sound going through your soundbar from the 622.

If you want to upconvert your DVD's while watching them you will need to use the HDMI output and hook it up to your HDMI input on your DLP...
If you use component out from the Soundbar to the DLP, you will only have 480P....

Thank you very much! I am not an audio/videophile of any kind so I try to learn from all of you. Does HDMI also carry audio signal from the DVD/soundbar to the TV?

yes it does carry digital audio from the Soundbar to the TV, that is why I said turn the speakers on your TV off so it doesnt interfere with the sound balance from the Sounbar, your audio from DVD playback is automatically carried through the Soundbar since it is a Package System.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts